HELP: copied a linux *.tar.gz from www to Win95..

HELP: copied a linux *.tar.gz from www to Win95..

Post by StumpFarm » Wed, 13 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I _UNwittingly_ downloaded a linux patch for my video server with
Netscape under WIN95, then booted linux, mounted the dos partition,
moved the file to the linux partition and uncompressed it.  All of which
worked fine.  Only after a subsequent shutdown -r did the fsck fail.
I tried executing e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda2..to no avail. The fs is in
read only. ???
Thanks in advance,

Post by vschmit » Mon, 18 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> I _UNwittingly_ downloaded a linux patch for my video server with
> Netscape under WIN95, then booted linux, mounted the dos partition,
> moved the file to the linux partition and uncompressed it.  All of which
> worked fine.  Only after a subsequent shutdown -r did the fsck fail.
> I tried executing e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda2..to no avail. The fs is in
> read only. ???
> Thanks in advance,

Hmm...  I used to use that EXACT method of downloading things to Linux
before I got ppp working for Linux.  I never had a problem doing it that
way.

I have had e2fsck fail before, but that was with a beta 1.3.x kernel,
and changing back to the latest 1.2.x fixed it.

Toby

        -There otta be a law-

1. help copying large .tar and .tar.gz files

not sure if this is quite the correct forum, but it's fairly close and
i've gotten some real good help so far here :)

i have an old x486 desktop, and an even older x486 laptop, both
running linux.  the laptop's hard drive is making spooky noises, so
i've backed up lotsa files into a few .tar.gz files.  i would like to
copy those files over to my 'new' computer.

1.)  if i put several .tar.gz files into directory 'bkup', does it
make sense to 'tar -czf bkup.tar.gz' or maybe 'tar -cf bkup.tar' ?

2.)  how do i 'cp' a 16+ megabyte .tar or .tar.gz file onto floppies?

i was thinking of using two floppies.  turn on both machines, and just
rotate them around. copy part of the .tar file onto floppy 'a', then
put floppy 'a' into the second machine, while floppy 'b' gets more
files, if that makes sense. or maybe just use one floppy, that might
be less confusing.

any ideas?  can i use a serial cable somehow?

2. Root Password Error

3. need a copy of lrk3.tar.gz

4. MAC os (don't laugh!!)

5. Linux Newbie and *.tgz vs *.tar.gz

6. Build ucLinux on Atari ST

7. How to install linux2.0.35.tar.gz into win95

8. gcc problem on Solaris 2.8

9. Should backup.gz be backup.tar.gz?

10. Installing *.tar.gz programs

11. "rm -rf /usr/ports" before "tar -xvzf ports.tar.gz"???

12. How does one compres files in this .tar.gz .Z and .tar.Z

13. tarzfaq.txt What are and how to handle tar.Z and tar.gz files