sendmail: how to use AUTH LOGIN when talking to a smart_host

sendmail: how to use AUTH LOGIN when talking to a smart_host

Post by Anonymou » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 06:35:48

How can I tell sendmail (on a Redhat 9 system) to authenticate itself
(using AUTH LOGIN) when connecting to the SMART_HOST (defined in
/etc/mail/sendmail.mf) ?

I don't want to tell sendmail to require authentication when it
accepts mail, but rather to authenticate itself when forwarding mail
to the SMART_HOST.

Where should I put the credentials (login/password) ?

Thanks in advance.

sendmail: how to use AUTH LOGIN when talking to a smart_host

Post by David Efflan » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 01:44:06

Quote:> How can I tell sendmail (on a Redhat 9 system) to authenticate itself
> (using AUTH LOGIN) when connecting to the SMART_HOST (defined in
> /etc/mail/sendmail.mf) ?

> I don't want to tell sendmail to require authentication when it
> accepts mail, but rather to authenticate itself when forwarding mail
> to the SMART_HOST.

> Where should I put the credentials (login/password) ?

Although, it is primarily about configuring sendmail or postfix in SuSE as
SMTP AUTH client for SBC Yahoo smtp, this may give you some clues:
http://efflandt.freeshell.org/sbc-smtp-auth.html

1. sendmail auth login as a client

  I haven't a direct connection to the outside of my campus network. So
if I want to send email to the outside, I must relay my email through my
school's email server: mails.tsinghua.edu.cn. It requires account and
password and I have one on it.

  I have no problem sending email with mozilla, since it knows how to
log  into the SMTP server.

  But now I want to change to mutt. It must rely on  sendmail on my
machine to send the mail. I'v read
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html
and do as it says. I edit my /etc/mail/sendmail.cf as follows:

DSmails.tsinghua.edu.cn
O DefaultAuthInfo=/etc/mail/default-auth-info

and I edit /etc/mail/default-auth-info:
wy
wang-y01
<my password>
mails.tsinghua.edu.cn

The I use mutt to send the mail. But my mail is soon returned with the
following info:

    (reason: 553 host deny relay (eyou mta))

... while talking to mails.tsinghua.edu.cn.:

<<< 553 host deny relay (eyou mta)

<<< 503 say RCPT first (eyou mta)

It seems sendmail didn't use my authencate id and password to talk with
mails.tsinghua.edu.cn.

How can I setup sendmail to auth with mails.tsinghua.edu.cn as a client?
My sendmail version is 8.12.5, I use a Linux machine.

What's more, when I telnet mails.tsinghua.edu.cn 25
after ehlo, auth, it says:
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
what mechanism is it using?

2. 2.5.70, "specialix.o" build error

3. sendmail smtp auth using sasl

4. cut and paste with linux

5. problem in unstanding sendmail/cf SMTP auth (Solaris 8 Sendmail 8.10) Please Explain

6. Comparing 2 Unix files but ignoring line numbers

7. Using talk as login shell

8. mkfs.ext2

9. Sendmail AUTH and POPS, IMAPS

10. Sendmail client AUTH in Solaris 9?

11. Sendmail Auth

12. Port of sendmail including SMTP AUTH?

13. Help! sendmail 8.11 Auth feature under REDHAT7?