bochs 386 emulator running win95 under linux?

bochs 386 emulator running win95 under linux?

Post by Jason Straigh » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone had any luck running bochs under linux to run windows95B?

I have tried installing A and B versions of win95 I follow all the rules
and when I get to the point where is starts anylizing the system it
usually gets to about 30% and gives me...

SUWIN caused a General Protection Fault
in Module SYSDETMG.DLL blah blah blah...

--
Jason Straight      http://linux.inter-span.net/

ICQ 1796276

Post by Frank Sweetse » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Has anyone had any luck running bochs under linux to run windows95B?

> I have tried installing A and B versions of win95 I follow all the rules
> and when I get to the point where is starts anylizing the system it
> usually gets to about 30% and gives me...

hehe... actually, i've seen it done, so i know it's possible =)  it doesn't
even come close to useable, though, even on a dual ppro200 w/128M ram...

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 5.1 kernel 2.1.120p2  i586  | at public servers
The following two statements are usually both true:
        There's not enough documentation.
        There's too much documentation.

1. Installing FreeBSD under BOCHS (ports/emulators/bochs)

Hi,

I've been trying to get bochs 1.4.1 working under FreeBSD. The port
builds and installs fine but I am unable to get FreeBSD to act as a
guest OS. I've gone through the Bochs docs and searched the web/usenet
for answers without success.

I am having problems with the hard disk emulation, cdrom access, and
the ne2k emulation. Briefly, here are the problems:

1 Hard Disk emulation

During the FreeBSD boot process, FreeBSD is unable to find the disk,
though it does find the controller but is unable to find/access the
hard drive image.

ad0: Read command timeout ...
ad0: failed to reset ...

Additionally, no hard disk devices are displayed in the partitioning
menu in sysinstall.

Note, I was able to get OpenDOS to find the hard disk, so I'm pretty
sure I've got it setup alright. Also, FreeBSD 3.4 was able to locate
the drive and run fdisk on it (though disklabel failed).

2 CDROM

During device probes, Boch panics:
Event type: PANIC
Device: [CD   ]

choosing to continue bypasses the problem.

Unfortunately, sysinstall is unable to find the cdrom device (even
though it booted from it).

3 ne2k emuation

during boot process, Bochs panics:
Event type: PANIC
Device: [NE2K ]

choosing to continue bypasses the problem.

I am able to get FBSD to find the ne2k device (as ed0). It is also
successfully configured with an ip address and even sends packets
(verified with tcpdump). Unfortunately, it does not recieve packets.
It doesn't even respond to arp requrests.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. OS/2 user wants to move to linux

3. AST 386 Laptop runs Win95 but not X

4. Problems with CD-ROM

5. Help - someone turned my machine into xt emulating 386 using bochs...

6. localtime_r() SEGV

7. Help - someone turned my machine into xt emulatin g 386 using bochs...

8. simple bash alias driving me crazy

9. bochs emulator and linux

10. REQ HELP: Intel D865PERL board, 2.6.x kernel, runs like a 386 when running with ACPI?

11. JCOM: 386-based PC MS-DOS terminal emulator

12. Can I install, run and learn Linux on 386 ?