Windows NT and Linux LILO

Post by William Whittake » Sun, 12 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi, having had to do battle with a triple boot (Linux, Win95 and NT 4) and
not been able to find much current stuff on How to do it, I am wondering
whether it is a) pertinent,
b) useful and
c)where the right place is
to put what I have suffered much anguish to find out. I now am on the point
of putting a curse on NT.
(if people can understand this posting they are doing better than me - I am
currently  three quarters through a 12 hour night shift, go easy on me).
    Any response would be much appreciated.

William

Windows NT and Linux LILO

Post by Darren Macka » Sun, 12 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I know it means spending money, but buy youself a copy of Partition Magic
v3.04 or later. I spent hours trying to get Linux, WinNT, Win95 and
Win95Korean to quad boot, bot no success. I then had reason to buy Partition
Magic (to convert Fat32 to Fat16 and to re-size the partition without
re-installing). To my glory, it came with an excellent boot manager, that is
also language and os independent. There is one catch, to triple boot a
system, you will need a second hard drive, and the boot manager take one
primary partition, WinNT the same and Linux needs 2 (file system and swap
partition), thus there is nor room left for Win95 etc... But most of us now
have 2 anyway (at least in the circle of people I know anyway)

Darren

Windows NT and Linux LILO

Post by Theodore J. Soldato » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Hi, having had to do battle with a triple boot (Linux, Win95 and NT 4) and
> not been able to find much current stuff on How to do it, I am wondering
> whether it is a) pertinent,
> b) useful and
> c)where the right place is
> to put what I have suffered much anguish to find out. I now am on the point
> of putting a curse on NT.
> (if people can understand this posting they are doing better than me - I am
> currently  three quarters through a 12 hour night shift, go easy on me).
>     Any response would be much appreciated.

> William

If starting with an empty system:

1. Partition your disk(s)
2. Install Win95 (in boot partition, FAT16)
3. Install WinNT (in another partition, NTFS will work)
4. Install Linux (in another partition or partitions).
5. Read NT+Linux How-to about using NT boot manager to boot all three
OSes. It's easy and works fine.

In general, you can use NT boot manager to dual boot Win95+Linux without
having NT installed... :-)
If you have Win95 and NT boot manager installed, you can then install
and uninstall NT and Linux in other partitions at will. I'm using this
way to check new distributions of Linux at home, always having a spare
partition for tests.

If you have already installed NT+95 and you don't have a spare
partition, i would suggest Partition Magic too... or a nice clean
re-partitioning... :-)

T.

--
Theodore=J.=Soldatos=_\_="There=is=always=a=bug=somewhere",=said==HAL=to=the==

=_/_==Ultimate=Programmer,=and=turned=off=the=air=supply.=
=====================_\_="Everybody=knows=the=war=is=over,====================
==== Scientific
=====_/_==everybody=knows=the=good=guys=lost"===Leonard=Cohen=
= Publications Ltd. =_\_============ http://w4u.eexi.gr/~theodore
============

1. Use lilo for dual boot Linux/Windows NT?

I currently use a 600Meg partition to for a dual book Linux/Win95
machine.  Would like to swap in NT for Win95?

What is the recommended way to do this?  I understand Lilo a bit, and so
would like to do this, but have heard that this is inadvisable or can't
be done.

What's the right way to go, and can someone point me in the right
direction?

Thanks,
John Overton

2. what library is the cg92_used symbol in?

3. Windows NT Boot Loader and Linux LILO -- which on???

4. i wanna program a bash compatible shell

5. linux & Windows Nt (Lilo)

6. Reentrant timers/interrupt handlers (HELP!)

7. Linux/LILO - Windows NT/OS Loader

8. Cheap PCMCIA 10BaseT or Combo Recommendation?

9. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

10. LINUX, NT and DOS - LILO or NT boot pgm?

11. HELP!: cannot install Win NT (had NT+Linux+LILO)

12. LINUX, NT and DOS - LILO or NT boot pg

13. NT Web Server : Seeking beta testers for Windows 95, Windows NT Web Server