Adaptec AVA1505 SCSI controller

Post by Paul Andrew » Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

I have had some experience with Linux for a year or so now, and have tried
several distributions including Redhat, SuSE and currently  Mandrake 6.1.
The problem I have is with my SCSI card to which I have attached a Phillips
CD writer and an HP scanner. In each of the distributions I have tried I
have been unable to get it to work at all. The kernel configuration program
does not seem to have an option for AVA cards. I've tried other adaptec
drivers at random, with no success. The kernel, I believe is 2.2.10 or
newer.

Can I get kernel source which includes support for this card, or will I be
resigned to having to run Windoze to scan images or write CD's?

Thanks in anticipation,
Paul.

Post by UhUh.. » Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>Hi there,

>I have had some experience with Linux for a year or so now, and have tried
>several distributions including Redhat, SuSE and currently  Mandrake 6.1.
>The problem I have is with my SCSI card to which I have attached a Phillips
>CD writer and an HP scanner. In each of the distributions I have tried I
>have been unable to get it to work at all. The kernel configuration program
>does not seem to have an option for AVA cards. I've tried other adaptec
>drivers at random, with no success. The kernel, I believe is 2.2.10 or
>newer.

>Can I get kernel source which includes support for this card, or will I be
>resigned to having to run Windoze to scan images or write CD's?

>Thanks in anticipation,
>Paul.

        I have a 1505 in my machine and it works.  It's one of 2 SCSI
cards (the other being a Buslogic).  I have the 1505 hooked up to my scanner.
When building the kernel I compiled the 152x driver as a module.  While in
DOS I configured the card as far as it's device address and channels were
concerned.  Then, when I want to use it, I insmod it with the correct
arguments, in my case
insmod aha152x "aha152x=0x140,9,7,1"

        Hope that helps.

--
Exaggeration is a trillion times worse than understatement.
    also: remove "UhUh" and "Spam" to get my real email address -----

1. how do you install adaptec ava1505 scsi controller

What is the process to install a scsi controller in RedHat 7.1?
I have a workstation loaded and operational. I tried installing a SCSI
controller (i/o=0x140, Int=10) to host a Sony CDROM burner with no
success.The parameters are jumpered on the board. I tried installing
the card from a complete new linux installation and also tried
installing the card after the OS is up and running. No success either
way. The card does not appear to be detected. RedHat indicates the
card is supported using aha152x driver.

The card works. It now hosts a SCSI scanner and CDROM burner in a
windows box.  If I can  successfully install the card I hope to
eliminate that windows box.

I was hoping someone had some experience with this type of
installation and might offer a stepped process to success.

Sean

2. preventing module unload when entering open()?

3. Adaptec AVA1505 SCSI controller and HP6000i DAT tape drive

4. PPP and new 1.3.x build

5. Q: SCSI Adaptec AVA1505/1515

6. ssh2-2.0.13 compiles under linuxppc, with issues

7. SCSI Adaptec AVA1505 not recognised

8. KPPP problem please help!!!

9. Driver for Adaptec AVA1505 scsi-card?

10. SCSI AVA1505 Adaptec w/Pioneer DRM-602X CDROM

11. Installing Linux with SCSI CD Rom Adaptec AIC-6x60 SCSI Controller

12. One SCSI controller is not recognized with another SCSI controller

13. Adaptec AVA1505 Will Linux ever see it :((