Infomagic 3 CD December '94 distribution

Post by jle.. » Sun, 29 Jan 1995 09:17:59

>What's a reasonable price for this? I can get it at a local
>bookstore for $40 (tax included) which seems a little high
>to me (I thought $25-30 was mentioned), but then I'm a Linux
>newbie. The bookstore package includes a setup manual.

Infomagic sells it direct for $25 + shipping.  If the bookstore includes the
Installation and Getting Started manual, and not just the little tiny flyer of
a manual that fits in the CD case, then it may be worth the price.  Infomagic
sells that manual for $12 or so + shipping, so you'd be looking at $37 +
shipping.  If you've never messed with Linux/Unix before, the Getting Started
manual is a good thing to have.

Quote:>Even if the price is right I may not get it because I'm
>waiting for XFree86 3.1.1 video support for the ATI Pro Turbo.
>Am I better off to just wait for the next Infomagic release
>(and I don't know how often they press CDs) which will
>probably include XFree86 3.1.1?

Who knows when the Mach64 driver will be ready?  The card runs just fine under
the SVGA server, so don't let waiting for a driver stop you from installing
Linux.  Sure, it should run much faster when the Mach64 server is out, but
it's not exactly slow under SVGA.

                               |          OR

 Mime attachments are OK       |
 But please ask before sending unsolicited huge files.

http://inorganic5.chem.ufl.edu

Infomagic 3 CD December '94 distribution

Post by Stephen Wilkins » Mon, 30 Jan 1995 10:29:48

Quote:>What's a reasonable price for this? I can get it at a local
>bookstore for $40 (tax included) which seems a little high
>to me (I thought $25-30 was mentioned), but then I'm a Linux
>newbie. The bookstore package includes a setup manual.

[snip]

The $40 is too high. I know it cost $25 direct from InfoMagic
and it was a couple of bucks more for FedEx! Their address
was posted earlier.

---

Stephen
____________________________________

Sr. Software Engineer                     reward for doing it well is the
LB&M Associates                           opportunity to do it again."
____________________________________
#define OPINION        (myown)
#define COMPANYOPINION (~myown)

      This message created using 87% recycled neuro-transmitters
MicroSoft(n): From latin Micro (small or tiny) and Soft (limp or *)

Post by Aapo Mei » Sat, 11 Feb 1995 20:24:21

: the SVGA server, so don't let waiting for a driver stop you from installing
: Linux.  Sure, it should run much faster when the Mach64 server is out, but
: it's not exactly slow under SVGA.

I want to update to 3.1.1 with the source patch. does somebody know how to
install the X-Source-tree>

Thanks Aapo
: ------------------------------------------------------------------

:                                |          OR

:  Mime attachments are OK       |
:  But please ask before sending unsolicited huge files.
:
: http://inorganic5.chem.ufl.edu

1. Infomagic 3 CD December '94 distribution

Here in San Diego on the left coast, the InfoMagic set can be had
for $16 at computer shows.  There's no manual which may explain
the price difference.  But, you don't really need them because
the CD contains a Windows help file of the FAQs.  It seems like
anything Linux-related is on one of the CDs!  It's definitely a
bargain.

--
mario l gutierrez

2. grep Question from beginner

3. Cant install Yggdrasil Fall '94 distribution from CD-ROM.

4. NIS+

5. domainname command not found in infomagic dec '94

6. another xcin problem...

7. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

8. diff gives binary files differ output...any help

9. NFSA installation of Slackware (InfoMagic Dec 94)

10. Installing InfoMagic Slackware decemeber 94

11. Can not run Yggdrasil P&P Fall 94' without CD-ROM...Please help..