writing a flight sim for linux

Post by Vlad Peterse » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

> Three words regarding current flight sims on linux and any future sims:
> Joystick, Joystick, Joystick. :)

> How anyone can fly with a mouse (or worse, a keyboard) is beyond me. My
> current #1 reason to reboot into Win95 is to fly Jane's Fighters
> Anthology.  I'd much rather reboot than fly without a stick.  There's my
> two cents.

I thought XFree86 supported some kind of 2 axes 2 buttons
joystick interface. At least it says so in 'man XF86Config'.
Yes, in this respect it is behind Windose95 DirectX interface
which supports at least 4 axes (X, Y, throttle and rudder)
and at least 8 buttons (newer versions may have increased the
number). However, is it really a good idea to enhance *
on Linux? There always seems to be an implicit distinction
between "serious" reliable multiuser OSes (Unix, VMS..) used in
critical environments as science and business and less reliable
"low end" stuff like Atari, Amiga, DOS, Mac, Windose etc.,
carrying certain * emphasis -- single-tasking or
task-switching mechanisms where a game may enjoy total control
over the CPU. Although, I may be biased because I work for a
* company where all pointy haired, bad-decision-making
people not only never used Unix but still "can't figure out
that Windows95 thing". :(

--
     Vlad Petersen       |     <vladimip at uniserve dot com>
 #include <disclaimer.h> |   *Good pings come in small packets*

writing a flight sim for linux

Post by Brian A. Pomeran » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>I thought XFree86 supported some kind of 2 axes 2 buttons
>joystick interface. At least it says so in 'man XF86Config'.
>Yes, in this respect it is behind Windose95 DirectX interface
>which supports at least 4 axes (X, Y, throttle and rudder)
>and at least 8 buttons (newer versions may have increased the
>number). However, is it really a good idea to enhance *

I think they actually use the midi interface to control most of the
features on those really tricked out sticks.  I know the Microsoft
force feedback joystick uses midi.  some of them actually plug into
the keyboard and you pick keys for specific functions on the flight
stick or throttle.

Quote:>between "serious" reliable multiuser OSes (Unix, VMS..) used in
>critical environments as science and business and less reliable
>"low end" stuff like Atari, Amiga, DOS, Mac, Windose etc.,
>carrying certain * emphasis -- single-tasking or
>task-switching mechanisms where a game may enjoy total control
>over the CPU. Although, I may be biased because I work for a
>* company where all pointy haired, bad-decision-making
>people not only never used Unix but still "can't figure out
>that Windows95 thing". :(

I certainly would love to NEVER have to go to Windows95 even for games
if I can possibly help it.  If there were a way to get more game
developers in on compiling up for Linux, I would love it.  Maybe a
port of Scitech's mgl package would be a start along with better
support for game hardware.  I see no reason why Linux can't enjoy both
a rock solid server rep as well as a good game platform.  Today's
games are more demanding than any other application I can think of for
computers making Linux an ideal platform.

BAPper

1. writing a flight sim for linux

Hello all,

I have been a staunch user of Linux for the past two years,
(I _even_ use LateX for creating beautiful reports), but there
is still one stickler that gets to me:

I love flight simulators, but I've been "forced" to keep Win95
on my 'puter just so that I can fly.

Having not found a suitable (i.e. cheap or free) flight
simulator
software for Linux, I seem to have no choice but to write my
own. And I don't feel like using a DOS box to run anything
because that (for me) defeats the purpose of being unreliant
on _any_ MS product.

But of  course, this a going to be a huge project, not
feasable
by one person alone (I feel), so please contact me
(nwanua at colorado dot edu) if interested.

If nothing else, let this be our small contribution to the
wonder called Linux (and correspondingly Un*x) .

Nwanua Elumeze.

--
sig??

2. HS/Link Protocol

3. Summary: RCS vs SCCS

4. Permissions conundrum

5. Wanted: Flight sim 5.1 - fs51_1.zip (1/1) - fs51_1.zip (0/1)

6. Fax modem, etc

7. ipchains -- what port is combat flight sim

8. Flight Sim

9. 30 pin sim to 72 pin sim adaptors

10. RARS for UNIX/Linux (Robot Auto Racing Sim)

11. Sim for linux