ide-scsi - How ignore IDE Zip drive?

Post by Ken Prat » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

I have an IDE CDRW and am using the ide-scsi kernel module so that the
cdrecord command can access the CDRW (using the SCSI interface) and
"burn" CD's.  This works well.  However,  the ide-scsi module also grabs
my IDE zip drive.  I do not want this because the SCSI translation
provided by the ide-scsi module does not support the eject function.  Is
there a way to get the ide-scsi module to ignore my IDE zip drive short
of changing the source code and recompiling?

I am using RedHat 6.1 (Intel)
Linux kernel version 2.2.12

Any help is appreciated.

--
Ken Pratt

Post by nos.. » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>I have an IDE CDRW and am using the ide-scsi kernel module so that the
>cdrecord command can access the CDRW (using the SCSI interface) and
>"burn" CD's.  This works well.  However,  the ide-scsi module also grabs
>my IDE zip drive.  I do not want this because the SCSI translation
>provided by the ide-scsi module does not support the eject function.  Is
>there a way to get the ide-scsi module to ignore my IDE zip drive short
>of changing the source code and recompiling?

I have a similar setup, I need to use

append="hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-floppy"

in /etc/lilo.conf  The first two entries are the CDROM/CDRW drives - hdd
is the ZIP drive, and "ide-floppy" will make sure that SCSI doesn't
"grab it".  Note, of course, that you'll need to have the IDE-Floppy
support compiled into your kernel (don't know if it works as a module or
not, as I haven't tried it).

Quote:>...
><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
>I have an IDE CDRW and am using the ide-scsi kernel module so that the
>cdrecord command can access the CDRW (using the SCSI interface) and "burn"
>CD's.&nbsp; This works well.&nbsp; However,&nbsp; the ide-scsi module also

This is really anti-social - please re-configure your newsreader so that
it doesn't send plain text _and_ HTML - plain text will suffice for Usenet.

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart

Computing Manager
ICRF Cancer Epidemiology Unit, Oxford UK

Post by JEDIDI » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>In article ide-scsi - How ignore IDE Zip drive?,
>    Ken Pratt writes:

>> I have an IDE CDRW and am using the ide-scsi kernel module so that the
>> cdrecord command can access the CDRW (using the SCSI interface) and
>> "burn" CD's.  This works well.  However,  the ide-scsi module also grabs
>> my IDE zip drive.  I do not want this because the SCSI translation
>> provided by the ide-scsi module does not support the eject function.  Is
>> there a way to get the ide-scsi module to ignore my IDE zip drive short
>> of changing the source code and recompiling?

>Hello.

>I don't know how you tell the kernel to use the ide-scsi-driver for your
>cdrw-drive. I use a simple kernel boot-option: 'hdd=ide-scsi'

modprobe ide-cd ignore=hdd
modprobe ide-scsi

        Make sure whatever module is responsible for your IDE Zip
        functionality is loaded before you start ide-scsi. ide-scsi
        will do emulation for any ide device that has not already
        been snarfed up by another driver.

        Are you sure that ide-scsi doesn't support eject?

        cdrecord ejects just fine.

--

    In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
    a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

1. IDE Zip disk faster via ide-scsi ???

When I enabled SCSI interface emulation to my 100 MB IDE Zip drive
(via modprobe ide-scsi) I noticed significant performance improvements,
i.e. "dd if=/dev/zip of=/dev/null" started to run 20% faster with
zip=/dev/sda4 than it had been with zip=/dev/hdd4.

Are there any reasons for that? I mean if you so easily can improve
performance by 20% with this trick why it is not on by default???

Regards, Igor

2. Mailing List Addition

3. 2.5.1-pre2 compile error in ide-scsi.o ide-scsi.c

4. Spectra Logic tape library

5. SCSI and IDE Drives - can't detect IDE drives

6. PS error message

7. problem with ide-scsi and IDE tape drive

8. Regarding probe(9E)...

9. HELP: IDE ZIP drive and Red hat, cannot access Zip drive

10. IDE status errors (IDE/SCSI conflict or buggy ide driver?)

11. Internal IDE (not SCSI) ZIP DRIVE Support in Solaris 7 x86?

12. IDE vs SCSI ZIP drives

13. ATAPI 250MB ZIP and IDE-SCSI Emulation HELP!