Good quality keyboard.

Post by Henry Hollenber » Sun, 12 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I'm looking for a good quality keyboard (3-5).  I found a wonderful
keyboard about a year ago (the NMB RT8255C+) but it was discontinued
in December for a Windows keyboard and now that's all they sell :-(.

What I liked about this keyboard was that it wasn't mushy/springy.
With cheap keyboards I find myself accidently mashing the keys as
I rest my fingers on them....the NMB model above has a definite
click after you push it in a certain distance and that is exactly
when the "letter" appears....not before or after...really cuts down
on my keystroke errors....I think they call it a mechanical type
keyboard.

Anybody know where some of these might be in stock?  I'll pay a finders
fee!   I'm looking for the RT8255C+ NOT the RT8255CW+.  I'd also
be intrested in one of like quality from another vendor.

Thanks
--

Good quality keyboard.

Post by Hilario » Sun, 12 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I'm looking for a good quality keyboard (3-5).  I found a wonderful
> keyboard about a year ago (the NMB RT8255C+) but it was discontinued
> in December for a Windows keyboard and now that's all they sell :-(.

> What I liked about this keyboard was that it wasn't mushy/springy.
> With cheap keyboards I find myself accidently mashing the keys as
> I rest my fingers on them....the NMB model above has a definite
> click after you push it in a certain distance and that is exactly
> when the "letter" appears....not before or after...really cuts down
> on my keystroke errors....I think they call it a mechanical type
> keyboard.

Yah.  A nice keyclick keyboard is hard to come by.  I haven't seen one
in YEARS that meets the specifications I used to live by.  An original
IBM keyboard wasn't too bad, nor was the KeyCat.  The only one I can say
is even mediocre and in this league was one that had the space bar split
in half.  I can't remember the company name/brand offhand, but half the
spacebar being utilized for a backspace is rather... distancing.

Whether we like it or not, the extra keys are de facto now, and so are
the bad keyboards designed for people who can't type.

Good quality keyboard.

Post by Craig Malone » Sun, 12 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I'm looking for a good quality keyboard (3-5).  I found a wonderful
> keyboard about a year ago (the NMB RT8255C+) but it was discontinued
> in December for a Windows keyboard and now that's all they sell :-(.

> What I liked about this keyboard was that it wasn't mushy/springy.
> With cheap keyboards I find myself accidently mashing the keys as
> I rest my fingers on them....the NMB model above has a definite
> click after you push it in a certain distance and that is exactly
> when the "letter" appears....not before or after...really cuts down
> on my keystroke errors....I think they call it a mechanical type
> keyboard.

> Anybody know where some of these might be in stock?  I'll pay a finders
> fee!   I'm looking for the RT8255C+ NOT the RT8255CW+.  I'd also
> be intrested in one of like quality from another vendor.

> Thanks
> --

You might want to try and pick up an old IBM keyboard from a computer
reseller or flea market. The old ones have the hardest "clicky" feel I
have found (I now have their new keyboard, which is good, but somewhat
springy).

Hope this helps. :)
--
|        Craig Maloney        |      "There are no significant bugs in
our    |

significant    |
|    http://ic.net/~craig     |       number of users want fixed."
-Gates     |

Good quality keyboard.

Post by Jeffrey C. De » Mon, 13 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>> I'm looking for a good quality keyboard (3-5).  I found a wonderful
>> keyboard about a year ago (the NMB RT8255C+) but it was discontinued
>> in December for a Windows keyboard and now that's all they sell :-(.

>Yah.  A nice keyclick keyboard is hard to come by.  I haven't seen one
>in YEARS that meets the specifications I used to live by.  An original
>IBM keyboard wasn't too bad, nor was the KeyCat.  The only one I can say
>is even mediocre and in this league was one that had the space bar split
>in half.  I can't remember the company name/brand offhand, but half the
>spacebar being utilized for a backspace is rather... distancing.

My NMB RT8255CW+ is adequate, but yes, it does have the split spacebar.
It is easy enough to set it so both halves generate the space character,
and the "windows" keys are easy enough to ignore, but I'd trade it
in a minute for one with equivalent feel and a solid space bar.

--
Many companies that have made themselves dependent on [the equipment of a
certain major manufacturer] (and in doing so have sold their soul to the

Good quality keyboard.

Post by Thomas Aaron Ins » Mon, 13 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> > What I liked about this keyboard was that it wasn't mushy/springy.
> > With cheap keyboards I find myself accidently mashing the keys as
> > I rest my fingers on them....the NMB model above has a definite
> > click after you push it in a certain distance and that is exactly
> > when the "letter" appears....not before or after...really cuts down
> > on my keystroke errors....I think they call it a mechanical type
> > keyboard.
> Yah.  A nice keyclick keyboard is hard to come by.  I haven't seen one
> in YEARS that meets the specifications I used to live by.  An original
> IBM keyboard wasn't too bad, nor was the KeyCat.  The only one I can say
> is even mediocre and in this league was one that had the space bar split
> in half.  I can't remember the company name/brand offhand, but half the
> spacebar being utilized for a backspace is rather... distancing.

For what it's worth, IBM still sells excellent mechanical keyboards.
I dunno if the nice big ones like the PS/2 keyboard I still use are
available, but I just saw slightly more compact ones (PS/1 or Aptiva
style) at CompUSA.  They have a good layout -- the enter key hasn't
crowded out the backslash key, and they have all the Windows 95 keys,
should you feel the need.  Your choice of gray or black, no less.

Tom
--

  "Interactive television is roadkill along the Information Superhighway."
                                                     -- Reginald Bernard

Good quality keyboard.

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 13 Apr 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I'm looking for a good quality keyboard (3-5).  I found a wonderful
> keyboard about a year ago (the NMB RT8255C+) but it was discontinued
> in December for a Windows keyboard and now that's all they sell :-(.

I'm not familiar with the RT8255C+, but NMB has a model RT-8200W which is
fairly good, with mechanical keyswitches and a decent feel.  I've just
bought one to give to my sister, in fact.  I got mine at Micro Center
(they're usually out of stock), but I believe ComputAbility
(http://www.veryComputer.com/) also sells them, or did a few months ago.
NMB also makes at least two other models that are junk, IMHO.  The
RT-8200W has a split space key design; the left half normally functions as
a second backspace key, which I suppose could be good once you're used to
it.  It can be reconfigured so both halves function as a space key,
though, so if you don't like it, it's not that big of a deal.  NMB has a
web page, BTW, at http://www.veryComputer.com/.

Keyboard preference is a *VERY* personal matter, of course, but IMHO the
best keyboards around were the Northgate OmniKeys.  Sadly, Northgate's
gone out of business (and I bought two of the last ones I could find, one
for use at work and one as a spare), but I've heard another company,
called Avant, has taken to manufacturing the design.  Check
http://www.veryComputer.com/~fhalden/favorite.htm for some information on this.
I can't be sure that Avant hasn't changed things, but the Northgates I've
got have substantial mechanical keyclick, both tactile and auditory, and
take a bit more pressure to engage than the keys on the NMB RT-8200W.
They're also one of the few keyboards that can easily be switched between
the traditional "QWERTY" layout and the "Dvorak" layout, if you're into
that.

Quote:> What I liked about this keyboard was that it wasn't mushy/springy.
> With cheap keyboards I find myself accidently mashing the keys as
> I rest my fingers on them....the NMB model above has a definite
> click after you push it in a certain distance and that is exactly
> when the "letter" appears....not before or after...really cuts down
> on my keystroke errors....I think they call it a mechanical type
> keyboard.

Yeah, there are two basic designs:  Mechanical switch and membrane.  In
membrane keyboards, the physical key that you depress hits a big
*ish mat that's pressure-sensitive.  These are cheaper to make but
tend to be "mushy," and give little tactile feedback.  I suppose this is
OK if you're a hunt-and-peck typist, but people who can really type tend
to prefer the mechanical switch designs.  Of course, there's lots of
variability in both types of keyboard.

--
Rod Smith                                 Author of:

http://www.veryComputer.com/~rodsmith       "OS/2 Soundcard Summary"
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

Good quality keyboard.

Post by Christopher R. Carle » Tue, 14 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I always use a Zenith "clicky" keyboard.  I had to pay a hefty price for
it though.  $150.

_______________________
Christopher R. Carlen

My OS is Linux v2

Good quality keyboard.

Post by Steve La » Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Anybody know where some of these might be in stock?  I'll pay a finders
>fee!   I'm looking for the RT8255C+ NOT the RT8255CW+.  I'd also
>be intrested in one of like quality from another vendor.

    Take a look at the Focus FK-8000.  Excellent keyboard and the only thing
that I would settle for since Focus discontinued the FK-9000.  Nice click,
good feel and it even has a calculator built into the numerical keypad.
Qute handy.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my

Good quality keyboard.

Post by Richard Stein » Sun, 19 Apr 1998 04:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

Quote:>Take a look at the Focus FK-8000.  Excellent keyboard and the only thing
>that I would settle for since Focus discontinued the FK-9000.  Nice click,
>good feel and it even has a calculator built into the numerical keypad.
>Qute handy.

Steve, I have a Focus FK-5001 here that I absolutely love, but the left
control key is starting to go bad (overuse related to my current Doom
and Descent key mappings, I suspect <g>).

Does the FK-8000 have the function keys on both the left and the top
like the FK-5001 did?  I *like* having both sets!

--

           OS/2 Warp 4 + Linux + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

Good quality keyboard.

Post by Steve La » Sun, 19 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Does the FK-8000 have the function keys on both the left and the top
>like the FK-5001 did?  I *like* having both sets!

    No.  The FK-8000 is just the standard 101 keybaord with the calculator
built into the numerical keypad like the FK-9000 had.

    Personally, what I miss on the FK-8000 compared to the FK-9000 when it
comes to 3D games is the \ being on the other side of the right shift from
the / key.  I'd have one as crouch and the other as jump.  Quite convenient.
The FK-8000 moves the \ down in between ALT and CNTL IIRC.  I'm not at home
or I'd be sure.  That is my *ONLY* gripe about that keyboard and is, IMHO,
something that I can learn to get around.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my
CC: from news not wanted or appreciated| skills and labor, not my opinions!
---------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Good quality keyboard.

Post by Rod Bric » Sun, 19 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I like the focus keyboards, but they're wimps.  Mine broke three keys in
about as many months.  Maybe I'm too * them.  NOTHING beets an old
IBM keyboard in my opinion.  I found an outdated one for sale, brand new
for $20.00, though no windows keys (who cares).  It's a banger -
buckling spring technology!  They used to have them here at
http://www.veryComputer.com/;though expensive, you get what you pay for.
Most of that 'Made in China' stuff is pure junk.

Rod

--

http://www.veryComputer.com/
--

Good quality keyboard.

Post by Mark Rogas » Mon, 20 Apr 1998 04:00:00

: I like the focus keyboards, but they're wimps.  Mine broke three keys in
: about as many months.  Maybe I'm too * them.  NOTHING beets an old
: IBM keyboard in my opinion.  I found an outdated one for sale, brand new
: for $20.00, though no windows keys (who cares).  It's a banger -
: buckling spring technology!  They used to have them here at
: http://www.veryComputer.com/;though expensive, you get what you pay for.
: Most of that 'Made in China' stuff is pure junk.
:

So far, my favorite is the one I got with my Zeos 486/DX2-50.  It's
labelled as an NTC 5262 (assembled in Malaysia).  Constant use since
the summer of '92 and still in good shape (always throw the cheap
plastic dust cover on it when not in use).  It's along the same lines
as what you describe.  And I haven't seen one as nice since

Mark

--
[] Mark Rogaski                   "That which does not kill me

[] remove NO & SPAM to reply or finger

Good quality keyboard.

Post by Ed Cogbur » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

http://cvtinc.com/avant.htm
http://www.monu-cad.com/keyboard.htm

   The first URL is for a new keyboard called Avant Stellar.  Its
supposed to be a resurrected clone of the old NorthGate OmniKeys.  After
all these years, my *old* OmniKey/102 is *still* working!  Those
OmniKeys were definitely worth the money.
   The second URL is for a keyboard which looks good, but I can't really
say much else.  It was mentioned by Jerry Pournelle in his regular
section in Byte magazine.  He said he liked it very much, even more so
than the Avant Stellar.

Ed

Good quality keyboard.

Post by Chris Water » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> not a lot of people, but if you're stuck with them anyway, might as
> well make a real compose key out of one of them. compose keys are
> *good*. wish i knew how to teach X11 about them. the other two extra
> keys, well, if i used emacs i'd make a real meta out of one.

All of the keys are mapped to something semi-reasonable if you
configure Xfree86 with the MS-Keyboard option (or whatever it's
called).  With Emacs, the key with the Win-logo is Meta, and the Alt
key is Alt, and the menu key is mapped to the X menu key.

I actually find it pretty handy.
--

http://www.dsp.net/xtifr     | this .signature file.

Good quality keyboard.

Post by Jeffrey S. Dutk » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> > The old IBM keyboards are excellent BECAUSE the have the
> > standard layout.

> layout seems largely a matter of taste, but even slightly
> newer IBMs are wonderful because they're properly clicky
> and solid. most cheap garbage keyboards these days remind
> me of the ZX Spectrum's *-eraser "keyboard", like
> trying to type on a slab of rotting meat.

Well, when you use more than one system layout is a little more
than a matter of taste: At work I use Suns, DEC Alphas and PCs,
each of which has a slightly different arrangement for the bac
space, back slash, tilde, and return keys. These assorted key
layouts cause me no end of inconvenience.

As for the squishy keyboards, I have one from about a decade ago
that I actually use regularly. At first, I found the "dead squid"
feel unpleasant and longed for the good old clickety IBM style,
but then I had to use the computer in a small apartment with a
housemate. The squishy keyboard is completely silent, even with my
heavy typing, hence I could do my homework assignments late at
night without waking my housemate. On top of that, the squishy
keyboard follows the IBM layout, so I don't have to deal withmistyped
garbage.

- Jeff Dutky

1. Help on selecting a good quality Line Printer.

Hello,

I need some advice on selecting a Medium speed line printer.  One that
uses the green bar paper.
Also I need to hang it off a 10Base-2 network and be able to talk
TCP/ip.  I need to talk to it from a
sun using LPD/LPR.  Also it needs to be able to understand PCL for
compressed width output.

Does any one have any experience /w this type of printer?

TIA Rich Milton

2. xsm and Solaris 7...

3. Sound cards with good recording quality in Linux

4. High-level Sun RPCs

5. Good quality high-res 24/32bpp card supported by XFree

6. 7043-240 & 7332-005 problem

7. Good Quality Modem Suggestions

8. WIn95 VFAT under Linux???

9. how to print man pages in good quality

10. Looking for good image quality video capture card

11. Hi Quality SoundCard with good Linux Support?

12. French Keyboard Not recognized in KDE but good in text mode

13. Damn good keyboard idea from <gasp> Microsoft ;-)