Linux with FAT32/Win98

Post by Sam Ale » Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I am having a bit of a problem installing RH Linux on my Sony PCV system.  I
have Win 98 with a FAT32 on the first Maxtor 6.4 gig HD and I am attempting
to install Linux on the second Maxtor 5.1 gig HD.

Problem #1) I have previously installed System Commander Deluxe, and when I
try to install Linux using its OS Wizard, it says there is not enough space
to install it.  Does it need a part of the first drive?  It has FAT32
spanning 100%.

Problem #2) When I do get it installed, I tell it to install LILO in the MBR
and it writes over System Commander, though when Win98 is reloaded, it
reinstalls System Commander.  SC does recognize the Linux partition, but
says the MBR for it is currupt.  HOw can I fix this?  Or do I need to make
more space on my first HD or make it FAT16.

Problem #3) I have an ATI 32 Rage Pro video card, and when I try to setup
the clockchip for it, it blanks the monitor and eventually hangs the system
making me start over on installation.  I can mess with the settings manualy
(not probing) and get Linux installed, but then XWindows looks like static
when it runs.  Also, when I use MetroX to setup everything, XWindows won't
run at all giving me an invalid library and Error 111 ??

Thanks anyone that can help remedy any of the above problems.

Sam Alexander

Linux with FAT32/Win98

Post by Jason Straigh » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I am having a bit of a problem installing RH Linux on my Sony PCV system.  I
> have Win 98 with a FAT32 on the first Maxtor 6.4 gig HD and I am attempting
> to install Linux on the second Maxtor 5.1 gig HD.

> Problem #1) I have previously installed System Commander Deluxe, and when I
> try to install Linux using its OS Wizard, it says there is not enough space
> to install it.  Does it need a part of the first drive?  It has FAT32
> spanning 100%.

> Problem #2) When I do get it installed, I tell it to install LILO in the MBR
> and it writes over System Commander, though when Win98 is reloaded, it
> reinstalls System Commander.  SC does recognize the Linux partition, but
> says the MBR for it is currupt.  HOw can I fix this?  Or do I need to make
> more space on my first HD or make it FAT16.

> Problem #3) I have an ATI 32 Rage Pro video card, and when I try to setup
> the clockchip for it, it blanks the monitor and eventually hangs the system
> making me start over on installation.  I can mess with the settings manualy
> (not probing) and get Linux installed, but then XWindows looks like static
> when it runs.  Also, when I use MetroX to setup everything, XWindows won't
> run at all giving me an invalid library and Error 111 ??

> Thanks anyone that can help remedy any of the above problems.

> Sam Alexander

I also have win98, and run FAT 32 on a 6.4 Maxtor, although I partitioned mine
with fdisk and installed win98 first on half the drive and Redhat 5.1 on the
other half of the drive.  I used a system commander like program also at first
but it's useless as far as I can see with linux.  If you install LILO to your
MBR it will overwrite your SC, so it's kinda useless. I installed it to the
Linux partition and have to use a boot disk, SC wont just boot the linux withut
it.

My system runs great like this, I just have to use a bootdisk to run Linux.

Linux with FAT32/Win98

Post by Keith G. Murph » Sat, 15 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I have a setup where Win95 is on my first disk and Linux is on my 2nd.
LILO is installed onto the 2nd disk.  System Commander boots up both
systems just fine.  It brings up LILO, of course, in the Linux case.
Which isn't quite as redundant as it sounds.  System Commander helps
others who use my system (and are intimidated by LILO) to get to Win95
easily, and LILO lets me boot different kernels easily in the rare (but
crucial) case I need to.  All this was not hard to set up, but I seem to
recall that when I installed LILO, it might have erroneously written
over the MBR, so that I had to reinstall System Commander.  I might have
done something wrong.

When you're messing with this kind of stuff, make sure you have a good
recovery disk for your Win95 system!  FDISK /MBR is your friend...

Post by Daniel T. Che » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> > I am having a bit of a problem installing RH Linux on my Sony PCV system.  I
> > have Win 98 with a FAT32 on the first Maxtor 6.4 gig HD and I am attempting
> > to install Linux on the second Maxtor 5.1 gig HD.

> > Problem #1) I have previously installed System Commander Deluxe, and when I
> > try to install Linux using its OS Wizard, it says there is not enough space
> > to install it.  Does it need a part of the first drive?  It has FAT32
> > spanning 100%.

> > Problem #2) When I do get it installed, I tell it to install LILO in the MBR
> > and it writes over System Commander, though when Win98 is reloaded, it
> > reinstalls System Commander.  SC does recognize the Linux partition, but
> > says the MBR for it is currupt.  HOw can I fix this?  Or do I need to make
> > more space on my first HD or make it FAT16.

> > Problem #3) I have an ATI 32 Rage Pro video card, and when I try to setup
> > the clockchip for it, it blanks the monitor and eventually hangs the system
> > making me start over on installation.  I can mess with the settings manualy
> > (not probing) and get Linux installed, but then XWindows looks like static
> > when it runs.  Also, when I use MetroX to setup everything, XWindows won't
> > run at all giving me an invalid library and Error 111 ??

> > Thanks anyone that can help remedy any of the above problems.

> > Sam Alexander

> I also have win98, and run FAT 32 on a 6.4 Maxtor, although I partitioned mine
> with fdisk and installed win98 first on half the drive and Redhat 5.1 on the
> other half of the drive.  I used a system commander like program also at first
> but it's useless as far as I can see with linux.  If you install LILO to your
> MBR it will overwrite your SC, so it's kinda useless. I installed it to the
> Linux partition and have to use a boot disk, SC wont just boot the linux withut
> it.

> My system runs great like this, I just have to use a bootdisk to run Linux.

I just recently configured (using PartitionMagic 3.05.20 under Win98) my 6.4 GB
Dell to boot either RedHat 5.1 or Win98.  LILO works fine;  I just have Win98 on
the first 3.17 GB, and the rest is devoted to the greatest "real" OS!  (Now if I
could only get that blasted Quake][ thing to work with my flaky Diamond Monster3D
II...)  No System Commander Deluxe needed here...

-D

Linux with FAT32/Win98

Post by Tony Livengoo » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

<<< Note: Included text deleted. Refer to parent on thread. >>>

When RedHat install prompts you where to install LILO, dont install it
on the MBR, install it in /dev/hdb?    SCD will recognize it. when you
tell SCD to boot Linux, you'll see the LILO prompt, press enter and
you're off.

-Tony Livengood