RedHat Up2Date problem

Post by Nils M. Lund » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 01:47:28

Hi!

I'm having a bit of a problem using Up2Date on my RedHat 7.0 system.
The problem is that when I run rhn_register, wrong information about my
system is sent to rhn. The rhn_register program claims that my RH release is
1.1!

After examining the /etc/redhat-release file, I found out it contained wrong
information about the OS. I updated the file, but still have problems with
the rhn_register program.

Where does this program get the information about the redhat-release??

Thanx in advance!

Nils Magne Lunde

RedHat Up2Date problem

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 04:52:19

Quote:> After examining the /etc/redhat-release file, I found out it contained wrong
> information about the OS. I updated the file, but still have problems with

What was located in the redhat-release file?

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 1.00: (246 of 533)
-> Trees cause more pollution than automobiles do.
-> - Ronald Reagan

RedHat Up2Date problem

Post by Nils M. Lund » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:35:20

Quote:

> What was located in the redhat-release file?

It said Red Hat Linux release 1.1 (Red Hat Linux) in the first place.
Now it says Red Hat Linux release 7.0 (Red Hat Linux).

Nils Magne

RedHat Up2Date problem

Post by Nils M. Lund » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 17:08:18

Problem solved (rpm -U redhat-release.rpm)

Nils Magne

RedHat Up2Date problem

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 06:45:38

Quote:> Problem solved (rpm -U redhat-release.rpm)

That was a pretty easy fix - though I still can't figure out how it got
corrupted in the first place.  Glad to see you back on track though!

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 1.00: (437 of 533)
-> Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and
-> the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!
-> - Friedrich Nietzche

1. Using up2date to migrate from Redhat 6.0 to Redhat 6.1

Greetings,
I am experimenting with a trial!
Does any one else wish to participate?
I have, thusfar, upgraded my kernel to 2.12-20 and rpm'd down the
python 1.5.2
rpm 3.0.3-1
usermode 1.15
sysvinit (I forget which - the new version)
latest linuxconf
anything else which 'web find' of gnomerpm shows as part of the Redhat
6.1 issue
I must be close because I now have the up2date command appearing as
part of the Gnome system utilities, but it will not 'work' to upgrade
the system! Just sits there. I don't think I have enough 'traction'
yet...!

Is there anything else I can do 'cause this might be a good way for
many folks to upgrade their systems incrementally without too much
pain.

Just a thought.

Briny

2. NIC-Mailserver

3. redhat 7.3 mutex & up2date problems

4. Linux? what a joke

5. Redhat 7.2 LPD problems after running up2date

6. testing

7. RedHat 9 install and problem with up2date and NVIDIA_kernel* dependency

8. Disable CTL-Chars (^C) in shells script?

9. up2date problem - Redhat Linux 7.0 identification file

10. Red Hat up2date files in /var/spool/up2date

11. where is the redhat up2date launcher

12. RedHat 7 Refresher - Howto fix up2date

13. up2date redhat 7.1 packages already on my system