Getting Linux

Post by Mike Stac » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to figure out two things:

Which Linux should I get (RedHat, Slackware, etc.)?
How do I get it?

I've been to the redhat site and followed MANY of the links, but I can't
figure out how to download it.

--
  ######################

######################

Getting Linux

Post by Paul Mellor » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Which Linux should I get (RedHat, Slackware, etc.)?
How do I get it?

I've been to the redhat site and followed MANY of the links, but I can't
figure out how to download it.

Hi there, not sure which is the better of the two, but i think the
best way is to buy a book, with it on  a cdrom!  Much better than
spending loads of hours downloading, might be cheaper in the long run
too!

Happy linuxing!
bobster

Getting Linux

Post by Raymond O'Lear » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Mike,

I've tried Slackware (3.0), the Caldera Network Desktop and now I'm on RedHat Picasso
(with a 2.0 kernel) ... my definite favourite is RedHat.  It's fast, installs without the
need for boot diskettes, and is all-ELF.  I like it.

Look for a directory called RedHat-3.0.3 in ftp.redhat.com - as I recall, everything
you'll need is in there, including a DOS program called redhat.exe that starts the install
process from DOS or Win95.

Good luck
Ray