Mandrake 7.1 & CUPS Printing ver 1.1.4

Post by david.. » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 12:05:17

Help, I can set up a printer and print a test page, but when trying to
print in Mandrake 7.2 I get an error. Also in Star Office 5.2, tries to
print but nothing?
Thanks for any help, A linux Newbie,, David

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by r1cke » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 15:59:29

> Help, I can set up a printer and print a test page, but when trying to
> print in Mandrake 7.2 I get an error. Also in Star Office 5.2, tries to
> print but nothing?
> Thanks for any help, A linux Newbie,, David

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sounds like you're using CUPS and ESP PrintPro, did you install a
license?  If you use the CUPS WWW admin tool and follow the "license"
links, you can get and install the demo license...

1. KDE/CUPS on RH 7.1 - no print

I've searched groups.google.com in vain on this one, and www.cups.org
has darn little that isn't part of the CUPS installation.

I have successfully upgraded my RH 7.1 KDE to 2.2.1, using the
Unofficial rpms offered on KDE mirrors. Virtually everything went well,
with no rpm complaints. The exception of course was installing CUPS over
LPRng. Right or wrong, I didn't uninstall LPRng, but managed to get
CUPS to replace it. The problem is that there is no product - I can't
print anything. I've read log files 'til my eyes glazed over and the
documentation leaves me dizzy. I'm just too ignorant to make much of it.

My printer is an Epson Color Stylus 777. The CUPS test page was fine,
but actually printing something from a program or from command line has
been pointless so far. I did get a couple of raw text files through as
root, but nothing else. I have twiddled the cupsd.conf in minor ways to
the best of my understanding, but there is no change.

I can't remove CUPS because KDE 2.2.1 requires it, and I'm loath to go
back to 2.1.1. The "upgrade" to CUPS didn't carry over the printer info
from LPRng, so I had to start from scratch. It worked okay under LPRng.
As far as I know, there's no version of KUPS or QtCUPS for RH 7.1, so
there are no nifty GUI tools for this. I'm a complete failure at
compiling stuff myself, so far. Patience is good, but I lack the
knowledge to work out what goes wrong.

Has anybody gotten this to work on RH? I'd be willing to try and read
something to which you can point me.

Ed Hurst

2. General backup question

3. Mandrake 7.1 and network printing

4. Looping question using ksh?

5. Whiich ids better Mandrake 7.1 or Slackware 7.1

6. X-Windows / SVGA hybrid program

7. French keyboard with KDE & Mandrake 7.1

8. Pinnacle PCTV (bttv/v4l)

9. Mandrake 7.1 & 2 NIC

10. linksys pcmcia ethernet & Mandrake 7.1

11. Adaptec 2940UW and Mandrake 7.1 & 7.2 - nothing but problems!!

12. Linux Mandrake 7.0 & 7.1 Install Failure - Is There a Fix?

13. Upgrade from Mandrake 7.0 (Air) to Mandrake 7.1 (Helium): Painless?