Caldera "Base" vs "Standard", WABI

Post by Loren C » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

i am thinking of upgrading my Slackware 3.0 system.  the only incentive
that i currently have is to get a working "dos-like windows" environment
going.

last year i struck out with a Redhat release (didn't have the time to
devote, and couldn't see that i was getting much over the modular
kernal).

what i wonder about is the cost of various incarnations of the Caldera
Linux, and if WABI is avail free or low $ somewhere and does it _work_?
can Win3.1 apps print from it (does the windows print manager work)?

has Wine made any significant progress these past two years?

lastly, i am holding a "Base OpenLinux" box that shows kernal 2.0.33 is
the release and that "StarOffice" is included.  from what i can tell
from the doc, this dates the package as of 1/98.

is there a later/better deal going on this now?  my price is 59.00 less
20.00 rebate.  what would WABI cost?  the "standard" price is more
(159.?) with no rebate.  does it come with WABI?

thanks,

loren

Caldera "Base" vs "Standard", WABI

Post by W. Marshal » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Wabi is $42 plus shipping from Linux Mall.  Many/most of the key Win31
apps work, and are snappy.  The cool thing about Wabi, is that you can run
these normal stupid windows apps with terminal/server functionality:
Wabi+app runs on a single server, to multiple remote X workstations.

It prints by routing to a normal unix lpr command, you configure.

Wabi does not do dos; you will need a dos emulator for that.

Wine and bochs are ambitious projects to look into, but not as yet ready
for primetime, and a _long_ way from performing as well as Wabi.  But
remember, Wabi is a dead product, circa Dec '96, and only does 16-bit.

W. Marshall
a dead product

> i am thinking of upgrading my Slackware 3.0 system.  the only incentive
> that i currently have is to get a working "dos-like windows" environment
> going.
> last year i struck out with a Redhat release (didn't have the time to
> devote, and couldn't see that i was getting much over the modular
> kernal).
> what i wonder about is the cost of various incarnations of the Caldera
> Linux, and if WABI is avail free or low $ somewhere and does it _work_?
> can Win3.1 apps print from it (does the windows print manager work)?
> has Wine made any significant progress these past two years?
> lastly, i am holding a "Base OpenLinux" box that shows kernal 2.0.33 is
> the release and that "StarOffice" is included.  from what i can tell
> from the doc, this dates the package as of 1/98.
> is there a later/better deal going on this now?  my price is 59.00 less
> 20.00 rebate.  what would WABI cost?  the "standard" price is more
> (159.?) with no rebate.  does it come with WABI?
> thanks,
> loren

Caldera "Base" vs "Standard", WABI

Post by Andy Johnso » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

kernal 2.0.33 is

Quote:> > the release and that "StarOffice" is included.  from what i can tell
> > from the doc, this dates the package as of 1/98.

> > is there a later/better deal going on this now?  my price is 59.00 less
> > 20.00 rebate.  what would WABI cost?  the "standard" price is more
> > (159.?) with no rebate.  does it come with WABI?

COL Base is your typical Linux: Linux kernel, libraries and utilities, incl.
Apache and Samba.  COL Standard includes Netscape FastTrack Server and a
Novell Directory Services-aware NetWare client.  No other distribution offers
these in the box, although the Netscape server can be bought for $49
separately.  A Caldera NetWare Server (also NDS-aware) for Linux is currently
in beta, and eventually will become part of COL.