ld troubles, compiling

Post by Shawn Dempewolff-Barre » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

                Hi, I've been hoping I wouldn't have to end up asking this in
a newsgroup, but my linux knowledge is very small and my few attempts at
solving this problem have failed completely. I've been have trouble compiling
programs, a slew of them, it started with Enlightenment, then ImageMagick,
then ld, then......
        I receive the following error:

  ld: cannot open -lgcc: No such file or directory

I've tried re-installing ld and GCC but to no avail, I already have ld and GCC
installed, any ideas would be greatly apprieciated.

                -shawn

ld troubles, compiling

Post by Stephen Richard FREELA » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

:   ld: cannot open -lgcc: No such file or directory
        Hmmmm...
        The linker is trying to open libgcc.a.  It normally resides in
/usr/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.x/.  If it's not there, then that's your
problem.  If it *is* there, then I don't know what is...
        Actually, this brings up a problem I've wondered about a couple of
times in the past.  gcc has built-in path lists for looking up include files
and libraries...  Where does it get these?  Are they hardcoded in at compile
time?
        Ciao... . SNF .

--
Steve 'Nephtes' Freeland | "You know," he said between mouthfuls of sausage,

1. compiling programs to use ld-linux.so.1 instead of ld-linux.so.2

Is it possible at all and if is, how is it? I would like
to compile LYNX to use ld-linux.so.1 because ld-linux.so.2
is too big.
It should also use libc.so.5 instead of libc.so.6

Thanks
--
kirjoitti:  Tuomas Airaksinen              linux
kotisivu:   http://tumasites.cjb.net        is

icq:        11870110, ircnet: tuma            need

2. Slirp PPP & udp problem (RealAudio)

3. Trouble compiling XFISHTANK - compiling error

4. Newbee modem set-up question

5. troubles with ld... anyone can help me?

6. Inexplicable crashing in Slackware and RedHat

7. xlibrary or ld.so trouble

8. BBS for UnixWare/Linux

9. Trouble with ld "could not read symbols: bad value" ???

10. ELF/ld.so/ldconfig trouble

11. trouble with ld

12. trouble with gcc and ld on aix4.3.2.0

13. Trouble with ld 2.5.2.6 (with BFD 2.5) - requires libc??