How to shutdown from XDM?

Post by Ken Gaugl » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Hello all!!  I have just gone into my /etc/inittab file and set my default to
>4, which invokes XDM on my Slackware version.  All comes up great, except, I
>don't know how to shut Linux down.  When in text mode I type 'shutdown -r now'
>and Linux shuts down and re-boots, however, when I open up a xterm window and
>try to do this I get a message: bash command not known.
>How do I get this to work?  I read in the inittab, that to get XDM to work on
>the system, there is a getty? running on virtual terminal 6, where I can log
>onto and run the shutdown command from, but,would rather run it from X. Any
>ideas out there?

One of two things come to mind; when you log in to the Xterm window,
are you root?  If not, you have to su, else you cannot run the
shutdown command.

Also, depending on your pathing, you may have to say /sbin/shutdown -r
now  (I _think_ it is sbin, anyway).

Hope this helps

---
Ken Gaugler  Hybrid Networks, Inc.  Cupertino, Calif.

"The life of a Repo Man is ALWAYS INTENSE..."

How to shutdown from XDM?

Post by Todd A. Woo » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Hello all!!  I have just gone into my /etc/inittab file and set my default to
> 4, which invokes XDM on my Slackware version.  All comes up great, except, I
> don't know how to shut Linux down.  When in text mode I type 'shutdown -r now'
> and Linux shuts down and re-boots, however, when I open up a xterm window and
> try to do this I get a message: bash command not known.
> How do I get this to work?  I read in the inittab, that to get XDM to work on
> the system, there is a getty? running on virtual terminal 6, where I can log
> onto and run the shutdown command from, but,would rather run it from X. Any
> ideas out there?

> Thanx!!

Remember that you environment in X is setup by your Xsession file and not login
which you get from a console login.  In a Xterm you could do a /usr/sbin/shutdown or
log out of X and hit Control-Alt-F1 and bring up a console window... you will
not be able to X, I think, and login in as root and issue your shutdown command.

Don't forget "su -" in a xterm... this will setup the shell for you also.
--
Todd A. Wood                     "The views expressed are of my own free
Greenwood, IN, USA                will, at least I think so."

http://home.earthlink.net/~tawood

How to shutdown from XDM?

Post by Geoff Sho » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: Hello all!! I have just gone into my /etc/inittab file and set my default to
: 4, which invokes XDM on my Slackware version.  All comes up great, except, I
: don't know how to shut Linux down.When in text mode I type 'shutdown -r now'
: and Linux shuts down and re-boots,however, when I open up a xterm window and
: try to do this I get a message: bash command not known.
: How do I get this to work? I read in the inittab, that to get XDM to work on
: the system, there is a getty? running on virtual terminal 6, where I can log
: onto and run the shutdown command from, but,would rather run it from X. Any
: ideas out there?

Various people have said that running shutdown from within X is a Bad Idea.
I would switch to vt6 and do ctrl-alt-del from there.

        Geoff

can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

How to shutdown from XDM?

Post by Dean Pentchef » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

} Hello all!!  I have just gone into my /etc/inittab file and set my
} default to 4, which invokes XDM on my Slackware version.  All comes
} up great, except, I don't know how to shut Linux down.  When in text
} mode I type 'shutdown -r now' and Linux shuts down and re-boots,
} however, when I open up a xterm window and try to do this I get a
} message: bash command not known.  How do I get this to work?  I read
} in the inittab, that to get XDM to work on the system, there is a
} getty? running on virtual terminal 6, where I can log onto and run
} the shutdown command from, but,would rather run it from X. Any ideas
} out there?

I think the solution is simpler than you think.  I suspect that the
path to the "shutdown" command is simply not in your default path
under bash.  "Shutdown" is in the /sbin directory.  You can either
twiddle your path (by changing your .bashrc file) or just run shutdown
using /sbin/shutdown .

Hope that's it!

-Dean
--

Biological Sciences, Univ. of South Carolina, Columbia SC 29208 (803-777-3936)
PGP ID=768/22A1A015 Keyprint=2D 53 87 53 72 4A F2 83  A0 BF CB C0 D1 0E 76 C0

How to shutdown from XDM?

Post by Didier D » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Hello all!!  I have just gone into my /etc/inittab file and set my default to
> 4, which invokes XDM on my Slackware version.  All comes up great, except, I
> don't know how to shut Linux down.  When in text mode I type 'shutdown -r now'
> and Linux shuts down and re-boots, however, when I open up a xterm window and
> try to do this I get a message: bash command not known.
> How do I get this to work?  I read in the inittab, that to get XDM to work on
> the system, there is a getty? running on virtual terminal 6, where I can log
> onto and run the shutdown command from, but,would rather run it from X. Any
> ideas out there?

> Thanx!!

- Do you have root rights to shutdown ???
- Do you have "/sbin" in your $PATH ?

- Try to "su - root" before shuting-down...

--
McG.

How to shutdown from XDM?

Post by Peter Schrod » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Hello all!!  I have just gone into my /etc/inittab file and set my default to
> 4, which invokes XDM on my Slackware version.  All comes up great, except, I
> don't know how to shut Linux down.  When in text mode I type 'shutdown -r now'
> and Linux shuts down and re-boots, however, when I open up a xterm window and
> try to do this I get a message: bash command not known.
> How do I get this to work?  I read in the inittab, that to get XDM to work on
> the system, there is a getty? running on virtual terminal 6, where I can log
> onto and run the shutdown command from, but,would rather run it from X. Any
> ideas out there?

> Thanx!!

First you can try to open a xterm and log on as root, then shutdown ;

or you can use my Xshutdown-program created with the XFORMS-library.

All stuff you'll need is on our ftp-server in:

ftp://hatnix.fmr.maschinenbau.th-darmstadt.de/pub/XFORMS-stuff/

the program-archive is called reboot.tar.gz.

"ldd Xshutdown" lists all you need to run the binary:

        libforms.so.0.81 => /usr/lib/libforms.so.0.81 -> XFORMS-lib
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.0
        libm.so.5 => /lib/libm.so.5.0.5
        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.2.18

and NO shadow-passwd-system.

For a standalone-PC use the program in the simple-subdir, for a
network-PC
use the one in the TOPDIR.

For additional questions or suggestions, please send me a P.M.

Bye.

                                     TECHNISCHE HOCHSCHULE DARMSTADT
  Peter F.Schrode                    Fachgebiet Flugmechanik
 (Dipl.-Ing. (FH))                      und Regelungstechnik
                                     Petersenstrasse 30
                                     64287 Darmstadt
                                     Tel.: 06151 / 16-6020

How to shutdown from XDM?

Post by Paul Seel » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

That's an easy one: Switch to a console with Ctrl-Alt-F6 and log in
as root. Or just press Ctrl-Alt-Del for shutting down if you have set
up /etc/initab with this entry:

          # What to do at the "Three Finger Salute".
          ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -hq now

This should do the trick.
                                            Regards, Paul *8^)

   Johannes Gutenberg-University   -  Forum 6  -  55099 Mainz/Germany
   Our AMA Homepage  in  the WWW at  http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bender/

How to shutdown from XDM?

Post by Brad Norma » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Various people have said that running shutdown from within X is a Bad Idea.
> I would switch to vt6 and do ctrl-alt-del from there.

>         Geoff

I also find that this works best with slakware.  I edited my rc.local
file to
bring up xdm - bad idea - I found that changing the default run level in
/etc/inttab to run level 4 is the best solution.

Brad

How to shutdown from XDM?

Post by Raul Sanche » Sun, 08 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> > Various people have said that running shutdown from within X is a Bad Idea.
> > I would switch to vt6 and do ctrl-alt-del from there.

> >         Geoff

> I also find that this works best with slakware.  I edited my rc.local
> file to
> bring up xdm - bad idea - I found that changing the default run level in
> /etc/inttab to run level 4 is the best solution.

> Brad

Try login in as root (su) from within X and execute the following:

% shutdown -h now

or if your path does not include "/sbin":

% /sbin/shutdown -h now

I have not had any problems with this yet

--Raul

1. HELP - want to shutdown from XDM !!

Hi

I'm not a linux expert (so please - no flames), but we have a linux box up
and running, with XFree, and were using XDM to login to this machine. Since
this machine is a dual boot linux/dos machine, we'd like a really simple
way of shutting the machine down from inside XDM - i.e. a userid like
"shutdown" or "reboot" which would reboot the system straight away.

Has anyone cracked this .... Please email me if you have any ideas.

Oh ... we're using the Slackware distribution.

Matt

2. FTP Key Sequence to Check Speed/sec

3. Shutdown in Xdm?

4. Managing Forked Process/Permission Denied Error

5. Shutdown from xdm

6. Help : Getting a new system with Linux

7. Ctrl-alt-del to shutdown from xdm

8. Project Idea

9. Help: Shutdown activates XDM!

10. How to shutdown from xdm?