using elm with pop3 and smtp.....??

Post by Lee soon » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 02:41:49

Hi!
I'm going to use elm as a console mail client....

In window98 outlook express can fetch mails from a remote
mail server and send mails also....

Is is possible to use elm like outlook express?
Namely, Can elm fetch mails from a remote mail server using pop3?
Can elm send mails to a remote mail server using smtp?

If possible, how can I configurate elm?
If not possible, what the other applications should I use?

Please help me~

using elm with pop3 and smtp.....??

Post by Bryan Ho » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 15:48:00

Who ever said Lee soonki couldn't write what follows?:

Quote:>Is is possible to use elm like outlook express?
>Namely, Can elm fetch mails from a remote mail server using pop3?
>Can elm send mails to a remote mail server using smtp?

Never used elm, so I don't know. Type 'man elm', and 'man sendmail' to see
if you can find out anything.

Quote:>If possible, how can I configurate elm?

Again, I don't know about elm itself, but that is not generally the linux
way, I think. What you probably want is fetchmail, a separate program which
gets mail from just about any type of mail server there is, and stores it in
whatever mailbox you tell it to. Type 'man fetchmail' for more info. You'll
have to do a bit of fiddling around with it to make it work smoothly with
your email reader (elm.)

--

Bryan Hoyt

http://www.crosswinds.net/~artmusic

-----------------------------------

        THE LESSER-KNOWN PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES #10: SIMPLE

SIMPLE is an acronym for Sheer Idiot's Monopurpose Programming Language
Environment.  This language, developed at the Hanover College for
Technological Misfits, was designed to make it impossible to write code
with errors in it.  The statements are, therefore, confined to BEGIN,
END and STOP.  No matter how you arrange the statements, you can't make
a syntax error.  Programs written in SIMPLE do nothing useful.  Thus
they achieve the results of programs written in other languages without
the tedious, frustrating process of testing and debugging.

using elm with pop3 and smtp.....??

Post by spi.. » Mon, 01 Jan 2001 00:28:40

Quote:> Who ever said Lee soonki couldn't write what follows?:
>>Is is possible to use elm like outlook express?
>>Namely, Can elm fetch mails from a remote mail server using pop3?
>>Can elm send mails to a remote mail server using smtp?
> Never used elm, so I don't know. Type 'man elm', and 'man sendmail' to see
> if you can find out anything.

elm is a mail READER. If you want to download mail, you should use
fetchmail, which passes the mail to your MDA, which is then readable by elm.

sendmail -q will then send out any mail you write.

--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|

|                          |can't move, with no hope of rescue.             |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|Consider how lucky you are that life has been   |
|           in             |good to you so far...                           |
|    Computer Science      |   -The BOOK, Hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy.|

1. Using pine or elm to read e-mail from POP3 ISP??

Is this a FAQ or are there some document which show
how I can configure pine or elm to read mail sitting on
my ISP's POP3 mail server? Or maybe some other Linux
(preferably not netscape or X-based) software to do the
same thing?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
        Zahid
--

3D Graphics Software Architect          Tel: (972) 480-2864
Texas Instruments Inc.                  Fax: (972) 480-6303

2. Linux console hangs, kernel continues

3. Using Pine, Fetchmail, and Postfix with a POP3 and SMTP account at an ISP

4. mail queue

5. Slow telnet, POP3, SMTP through ISDN router using DIAT

6. PPP gateway. (Question)

7. mail (pop3 + smtp) server using ODBC connections for user & auth info?

8. Network Card Problem

9. what console email apps uses simple POP3/SMTP server?

10. SMTP on RH 7.3 Distro, using POP and SMTP on another server

11. SMTP only listens on host.domain.com:smtp want *:smtp

12. pointing elm at pop3 server

13. Problem in using elm to send the attached file using system() call in C program