setting up a standard text editor

Post by Carsten Arnol » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi there,

Im using Suse Linux 6.0
How can I change the standard editor of my system to my prefered editor.
For example, when i run "crontab -e" to edit the actual users crontab file,
"vim", a vi clone is used. Where do I set the variable for the system
standard editor, so that every user gets this setting?

Carsten

setting up a standard text editor

Post by Koos P » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

On Wed, 24 May 2000 12:22:16 +0200, Carsten Arnold
| Hi there,
|
| Im using Suse Linux 6.0
| How can I change the standard editor of my system to my prefered editor.
| For example, when i run "crontab -e" to edit the actual users crontab file,
| "vim", a vi clone is used. Where do I set the variable for the system
| standard editor, so that every user gets this setting?
|
| Carsten

Apparently you haven't read the manpage for cron. The short answer is there.
The long answer an be deducted easily (hint: man bash. Look for --noprofile)

Koos Pol
S.C. Pol - Systems Administrator - Compuware Europe B.V. - Amsterdam

Check my email address when you hit "Reply".

Post by Gero H. Marte » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hi there,

> Im using Suse Linux 6.0
> How can I change the standard editor of my system to my prefered editor.
> For example, when i run "crontab -e" to edit the actual users crontab file,
> "vim", a vi clone is used. Where do I set the variable for the system
> standard editor, so that every user gets this setting?

> Carsten

In your .bashrc include this:

export EDITOR=/usr/bin/emacs (or whatever editor you prefer)

--
Gero H. Marten
<http://www.provi.de/gmarten/>