EISA or VLB (EISA th

Post by Donald Beck » Sat, 12 Nov 1994 07:58:13

>>I disagree a Pentium with PCI video, PCI scsi (or VLB scsi) and
>>ISA ethernet is the best way.  EISA is expensive, and not much
>>faster than ISA.  There may be faster EISA scsi controllers, but
>>that's because of SCSI R&D, not BUS technology.  The PCI is much
>>faster, but I would start out with an ISA ethnet adapter which
>>can easily handle network traffic and upgrade to PCI ethenet in
>>the future when it becomes established.

>That's bull.  EISA is a true multitasking bus--the VLB is NOT a
>multitasking bus.  PCI is just fine when they get it to work.  ISA is a
>useless pile of junk that has no place in a modern PC.  It can reference
>only 16 MB of RAM so --ANY-- card that either has a buffer or needs RAM
>reference will not work with more than 16 MB of RAM installed.  There is no
>such thing as an ISA busmaster.  And to this date the fastest SCSI cards on
>the market are EISA cards.  To say EISA burst mode at 32 MB/sec is not
>faster than ISA is just pure bunk.

Hmmm, amazing, almost everything stated there was incorrect!

The closest thing to a "multitasking bus" you'll find is one using split
transactions.  No common PC bus does split transactions: PCI can do
disconnects for slow devices, but that's not quite the same thing.

PCI is well specified electrically.  Most problems have been BIOS setup
problems, which have been resolved far more quickly than the early EISA
problems.

The ISA bus is compatible with the poorly designed original PC bus, but
cards designed for ISA bus (as opposed to the PC or XT) are robust and
reliable if there are no conflicts.  It's a fine bus for low-bandwidth
devices, and what other bus has 2IDE/2F/2S/1P/1G I/O cards for $15?

The ISA bus has only 24 address lines, but that doesn't preclude having
more than 16M in the machine.  Nor does having >16M mean that you can't use
shared memory adaptors.

The ISA bus can support busmasters, and even multiple busmasters.  The
processors in Beowulf (a 16 processor Linux cluster) have a VLB busmaster
ethercard and one or two ISA busmaster ethercards.  The only major issue is
that ISA SCSI busmasters are usually set to use most of the bus bandwidth
and must be reconfigured to share.

The fastest SCSI cards are probably not EISA, but PCI based.  To say that
PCI burst mode at 133.3MB/sec is not faster than EISA is just pure bunk.

____
Amazingly (hey, I never would have predicted it) many PCI cards are about
the same price as their VLB counterparts, and far less expensive than
EISA cards.

Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882         http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/people/becker/whoiam.html

EISA or VLB (EISA th

Post by Andrew Robert Ellswor » Tue, 08 Nov 1994 07:57:11

[snip]

Quote:>useless pile of junk that has no place in a modern PC.  It can reference
>only 16 MB of RAM so --ANY-- card that either has a buffer or needs RAM
>reference will not work with more than 16 MB of RAM installed.  There is no

[snip]

Hmm.  I have an SBPro plugged into an ISA slot, and I have 20MB of RAM.
My understanding is that the SBPro (or any SBs) references RAM quite
frequently through DMA when playing digital sounds.  (However, I may be
wrong on that.)  I'm just curious, because my SBPro works fine --
however, I'm looking to get an ethernet card and was debating whether to
go VL or ISA, and if what you said above is true, it will definitely have
an influence on my decision.

--
Andy Ellsworth                | "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."

Member, XF86_W32 beta team    |              his motivations for porting DOOM
http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~are1|              to Linux

1. EISA or VLB (EISA th

 ,

That's bull.  EISA is a true multitasking bus--the VLB is NOT a
multitasking bus.  PCI is just fine when they get it to work.  ISA is a
useless pile of junk that has no place in a modern PC.  It can reference
only 16 MB of RAM so --ANY-- card that either has a buffer or needs RAM
reference will not work with more than 16 MB of RAM installed.  There is no
such thing as an ISA busmaster.  And to this date the fastest SCSI cards on
the market are EISA cards.  To say EISA burst mode at 32 MB/sec is not
faster than ISA is just pure bunk.

Michael Trover

---
* UniQWK v3.3a* The Windows Mail Reader

--
Michael Trover

2. Linux and Teac 55A CDROM

3. question about EISA/VLB and EISA/ISA/VLB MBs

4. Unix security and other oxymorons

5. Looking for 486 EISA motherboard and EISA Config Archive

6. 1.1.94 Sendmail Problem

7. EISA TLAN driver ?? (Compaq EISA NetFlex Card)

8. Agere AC97 modem on HP Compaq NC6000 laptop using slmodem

9. Mylex EISA-board/ELSA Winner 1000 (ISA/EISA) and Solaris

10. Problem installing Linux on AIR EISA/VLB motherboard

11. FreeBSD 2.1.0 install on a Micron 486 VLB/EISA PC causing grief

12. EISA/VLB/PCI Network accelerator?

13. Which ATI card: EISA or VLB?