Performance monitoring tool

Post by dm » Thu, 08 Feb 2001 23:04:50

Anyone know of a performance monitoring tool for Linux (or other UNIX
variants) similar to the Windows NT/2000 Performance Monitor?  I need to
monitor several "counters" over a period of time, and log them to a file
for later analysis...

Thanks in advance.

Performance monitoring tool

Post by Nils O. Sel?sda » Thu, 08 Feb 2001 23:51:51

Quote:> Anyone know of a performance monitoring tool for Linux (or other UNIX
> variants) similar to the Windows NT/2000 Performance Monitor?  I need to
> monitor several "counters" over a period of time, and log them to a file
> for later analysis...

If you use kde2 then ksysguard is what you are looking for.

Post by Dustin Purye » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 00:01:30

>> Anyone know of a performance monitoring tool for Linux (or other UNIX
>> variants) similar to the Windows NT/2000 Performance Monitor?  I need to
>> monitor several "counters" over a period of time, and log them to a file
>> for later analysis...
>If you use kde2 then ksysguard is what you are looking for.

Alternatively, I would imagine that somewhere someone has written tools to log
performance data over a time-range. I know I have. Currently, I use a series
of scripts that log information concerning CPU, VM, memory, load, network I/O,
disk I/O, and other assorted goodies to various log files. I can then import
these files as CSV's into Excel and look at the pretty graphs.

Alternatively, you could easily parse this data using perl or even awk and
create scripts to monitor for dangerous trends.

Curious?

There are also commercial packages that do this.

Regards, Dustin

--

Integrate Linux Solutions into Your Windows Network
- http://www.prima-tech.com/integrate-linux

1. Performance Monitoring Tools in Heterogenious environs

I am investigating packages to perform system monitoring and fault detection
in a heterogenius Unix environment. I am looking to monitor SunOs 4.1.3,
Solaris 2.X, and HP/UX systems. I am currently looking at the features
of the following packages:

HP Perfview, Aim Sharpshooter, Compuware Ecosystems, Patrol,
Teamquest Baseline, & Instrumental Perfalert.

I am wondering if anyone has benchmarked/implemented any of these systems.
If so, I would really like to hear your thoughts or talk about your experiences
with them.

Thanks much-
Mat Atkins
Staff Technologist - Engineering Computer Services
Cisco Systems
408-526-4594

2. What is a easy way to diable a user login?

3. performance monitoring tool

4. Maxmedia CX/PRO

5. performance monitoring tool?

6. Linux as a ROUTER?

7. Performance Monitoring Tools

8. Linux engineers wanted

9. Web Performance Monitoring Tools

10. New server performance monitoring tool

11. Performance Monitoring Tool

12. Graphical performance monitoring tool

13. Performance monitor tool