Anybody else having trouble with Netscape under RH5.1 ?

Anybody else having trouble with Netscape under RH5.1 ?

Post by Alan Vlac » Sat, 25 Jul 1998 04:00:00



Hello,

I'm sure this is a RedHat 5.1 problem and not a Netscape problem,
but after two updates of Netscape from the RH site, my browser still
isn't handling forms very well,
and often gets the filename wrong on downloads.  Operation was solid and
reliable under 5.0.

Boy am I sorry I ``upgraded''. :-)

Anybody else as frustrated as I am?
Any fixes?

Please respond by email.

Thanks,

--Alan Vlach

 
 
 

Anybody else having trouble with Netscape under RH5.1 ?

Post by sub.. » Sat, 25 Jul 1998 04:00:00




Quote:> I'm sure this is a RedHat 5.1 problem and not a Netscape problem,
> but after two updates of Netscape from the RH site, my browser still
> isn't handling forms very well,
> and often gets the filename wrong on downloads.  Operation was solid and
> reliable under 5.0.

I have yet to notice that problem but I am having a different
sort of problem:
  I can't get any of the libc5-based helper apps to work with the
RH5.1's glibc-based netscape.  I use many such libc5-based helper
apps like acroread, rvplayer, etc. I get coredump from those apps
and no window shows up.

Quote:> Any fixes?

I am now using libc5-based netscape 4.05 which can be downloaded
from ftp.netscape.com.  I am using libc 5.4.46 instead of
RH5.1's libc 5.3.12.  I have now no problems with helper apps.

> Please respond by email.

> Thanks,

> --Alan Vlach


--


 
 
 

Anybody else having trouble with Netscape under RH5.1 ?

Post by James Amunds » Sat, 25 Jul 1998 04:00:00





>> I'm sure this is a RedHat 5.1 problem and not a Netscape problem,
>> but after two updates of Netscape from the RH site, my browser still
>> isn't handling forms very well,
>> and often gets the filename wrong on downloads.

Alan needs to download the updated netscape package from the Redat
errata page. Unfortunately, once he has applied the fix he will run
into the next problem:

Quote:>I have yet to notice that problem but I am having a different
>sort of problem:
>  I can't get any of the libc5-based helper apps to work with the
>RH5.1's glibc-based netscape.  I use many such libc5-based helper
>apps like acroread, rvplayer, etc. I get coredump from those apps
>and no window shows up.

>> Any fixes?

The fix for the previous problem involves setting the environment
variable LD_PRELOAD to /usr/lib/libBrokenLocale.so before running the
actual netscape executable. libBrokenLocale is necessary for Motif 2.1
apps under glibc. Unfortunately, many other apps, including acroread,
will break with libBrokenLocale. The workaround is to wrap such
applications with a shell script that looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
unset LD_PRELOAD
exec acroread $*

This seems like a kludge to me, but I don't have a better answer.

I hope this helps.

--Jim Amundson

 
 
 

Anybody else having trouble with Netscape under RH5.1 ?

Post by Jan Vroonho » Sat, 25 Jul 1998 04:00:00



> This seems like a kludge to me, but I don't have a better answer.

You could put code in libBrokenLocale.so that weakly aliases execve
and friends to remove libBrokenLocale form LD_PRELOAD.

Jan

 
 
 

1. Anybody having trouble running Apache 1.1.1 on SUnOS 4.1.3 ???

I have installed the Apache 1.1.1 on  my Sparc SunOS 4.1.3. But
I am unable to receive data from it. It seems to be  connecting
but it can't receive data. Here are the messages I am getting
from my Netscape 3.0 and 2.0.1:

Message 1:
"A network error occurred while netscape was receiving data"
(Network Error: Connection reset by peer).
Try connecting again.

Message 2:
"Document contains no data".

P.S. I have checked all the directories and they seem to be OK.
I have checked the conf files against old version of apache and
they also seem to be OK also.

Please drop me a note if you know what the problem could be ...

Thanks,

Ed.

2. FTPD

3. Am I the only one having trouble with Netscape???

4. /cron.daily tmpwatch complains about X11R6/cat missing, how to omit?

5. HAving trouble setting up X [Trident Troubles]

6. National characters in the console, and in emacs.

7. anybody having a FAX solution using scanner, modem, printer?

8. Help backing up files to remote tape drive

9. anybody else having core dumps with kde 1.0 + qt 1.40

10. Anybody else having problems with missing data using AHA-2940???

11. Anybody having this prob?

12. Question: Is anybody having problem with Adaptec 2842 ?

13. Anybody having problems with alt.os.linux and FA?