'depmod -a' results in many '***Unresolved Symbols...'

'depmod -a' results in many '***Unresolved Symbols...'

Post by RC » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Running RH 4.2, kernel 2.0.30. Decided to try my hand at tweaking my
kernel a bit. Went through all the HOWTO's etc etc, and ran the
following:

        cd /usr/src/linux
        make xconfig
        make dep
        make clean
        make modules
        make modules_install
        make zImage

but then the next step:

        depmod -a

spewed forth ten or so lines of '***Unresolved Symbols in modules...'

What do I need to do to fix this problem? Best I can figure, it may be
connected to my recompiling the same kernel version as I am currently
running, and thus the modules' .o files end up in the same place in my
/lib/modules/ subdirectories. But that's just a guess, as I obviously
haven't been able to figure out the whole picture.

Any hints?

- Craig

'depmod -a' results in many '***Unresolved Symbols...'

Post by nate dut » Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Stardate Tue, 21 Oct 1997 07:52:53 -0400:

Quote:> What do I need to do to fix this problem? Best I can figure, it may be
> connected to my recompiling the same kernel version as I am currently
> running, and thus the modules' .o files end up in the same place in my
> /lib/modules/ subdirectories. But that's just a guess, as I obviously
> haven't been able to figure out the whole picture.

Before you start kernel work, move the /lib/modules/2.x.x to sometihng
like /lib/modules/2.old and then do it, should clear right up.

--

University of Wisconsin-Madison Computer Science
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~dutra

'depmod -a' results in many '***Unresolved Symbols...'

Post by Brett R. Rossel » Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:00:00

You need to remove the old modules from /lib/modules.
Then from /usr/src/linux do make modules_install.
That will re-install only the modules that you have complied support
for, thus fixing your problem.

Brett

<snip>

Quote:>spewed forth ten or so lines of '***Unresolved Symbols in modules...'

Post by Kenneth Corbi » Sun, 02 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> You need to remove the old modules from /lib/modules.
> Then from /usr/src/linux do make modules_install.
> That will re-install only the modules that you have complied support
> for, thus fixing your problem.

Don't count on it!  When I did that the number of unresolved symbol in
module reports jumped from 2 to 15 or so.  For some reason every newly
compiled module generates that warning from depmod -a.  modprobe works
just fine so I haven't worried too much about it.  Possibly a buggy
version of depmod????

Post by agbu.. » Sun, 02 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>> You need to remove the old modules from /lib/modules.
>> Then from /usr/src/linux do make modules_install.
>> That will re-install only the modules that you have complied support
>> for, thus fixing your problem.
>Don't count on it!  When I did that the number of unresolved symbol in
>module reports jumped from 2 to 15 or so.  For some reason every newly
>compiled module generates that warning from depmod -a.  modprobe works
>just fine so I haven't worried too much about it.  Possibly a buggy
>version of depmod????

I had the same experience kernel 2.0.27.  I pounded out the update mod
dependencies in the Kerneld file and everything worked fine. As I
compiled the Kernel to use what I really needed and I use Kerneld for
the rest.

'depmod -a' results in many '***Unresolved Symbols...'

Post by Eric Peterso » Sun, 02 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> > You need to remove the old modules from /lib/modules.
> > Then from /usr/src/linux do make modules_install.
> > That will re-install only the modules that you have complied support
> > for, thus fixing your problem.

> Don't count on it!  When I did that the number of unresolved symbol in
> module reports jumped from 2 to 15 or so.  For some reason every newly
> compiled module generates that warning from depmod -a.  modprobe works
> just fine so I haven't worried too much about it.  Possibly a buggy
> version of depmod????

Check your boot scripts.  I forget the name, but there's one which loads
your modules for you at boot.  For some reason, it isn't updated when you
recompile modules.  I went in, commented out the sections which tried to
load the error producing modules (which i had compiled into the kernel!)
and my problem went away.  Please note that this will cause MORE problems
for you if the modules aren't compiled into the kernel.

Post by Brett R. Rossel » Tue, 04 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>>> You need to remove the old modules from /lib/modules.
>>> Then from /usr/src/linux do make modules_install.
>>> That will re-install only the modules that you have complied support
>>> for, thus fixing your problem.

>>Don't count on it!  When I did that the number of unresolved symbol in
>>module reports jumped from 2 to 15 or so.  For some reason every newly
>>compiled module generates that warning from depmod -a.  modprobe works
>>just fine so I haven't worried too much about it.  Possibly a buggy
>>version of depmod????

>I had the same experience kernel 2.0.27.  I pounded out the update mod
>dependencies in the Kerneld file and everything worked fine. As I
>compiled the Kernel to use what I really needed and I use Kerneld for
>the rest.

Make sure you have recent versions of the module utilities insmod,
modprobe, etc. Get modules-2.0.0.tar.gz. Unpack it and do make
install.

Config you kernel with whatever method you prefer. I use make xconfig.
Do make dep.
Do make clean.
Do make zImage.
When done copy zImage to /vmlinuz, or whever your boot files are.

Remove the old modules from /lib/modules.
Do make modules
Do make modules_install.

I have done this many times when upgrading kernels. I do not get any
error messages.

Keep in mind that some funtions when compiled in the kernel, like
networking, will expect certain modules, even if you don't use them.
Like Appletalk for example.

Hope this helps.

Brett

Post by A B Hic » Sun, 09 Nov 1997 04:00:00

><snip>

>>spewed forth ten or so lines of '***Unresolved Symbols in modules...'

>>What do I need to do to fix this problem? Best I can figure, it may be
>>connected to my recompiling the same kernel version as I am currently
>>running, and thus the modules' .o files end up in the same place in my
>>/lib/modules/ subdirectories. But that's just a guess, as I obviously
>>haven't been able to figure out the whole picture.

>>Any hints?

>>- Craig

>You need to remove the old modules from /lib/modules.
>Then from /usr/src/linux do make modules_install.
>That will re-install only the modules that you have complied support
>for, thus fixing your problem.

>Brett

I have the same problem, and I've done the above, but when i reboot i
get an error message saying unable to locate /lib/modules/misc/iBCS.
When I reinstall the ibcs package, I get the unresolved symbols error
again.  I've recompiled the kernel before and after installing the
ibcs package.  It's like I have a choice, either unresolved symbols
error, or unable to locate ... error.  Is there any way to solve for
both errors?  Thanks

'depmod -a' results in many '***Unresolved Symbols...'

Post by Frank Sweetse » Sun, 09 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I have the same problem, and I've done the above, but when i reboot i
> get an error message saying unable to locate /lib/modules/misc/iBCS.
> When I reinstall the ibcs package, I get the unresolved symbols error
> again.  I've recompiled the kernel before and after installing the
> ibcs package.  It's like I have a choice, either unresolved symbols
> error, or unable to locate ... error.  Is there any way to solve for
> both errors?  Thanks

You need to get the source for the iBCS package, and recompile it with the
new kernel.

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 4.9.1 Linux 2.0.32p1 i586   | at public servers
Why use Windows, since there is a door?

'depmod -a' results in many '***Unresolved Symbols...'

Post by A B Hic » Sun, 09 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>> I have the same problem, and I've done the above, but when i reboot i
>> get an error message saying unable to locate /lib/modules/misc/iBCS.
>> When I reinstall the ibcs package, I get the unresolved symbols error
>> again.  I've recompiled the kernel before and after installing the
>> ibcs package.  It's like I have a choice, either unresolved symbols
>> error, or unable to locate ... error.  Is there any way to solve for
>> both errors?  Thanks

>You need to get the source for the iBCS package, and recompile it with the
>new kernel.

I removed iBCS from /lib/modules/misc and got the source for iBCS,
unpacked it,  copied CONFIG.i386 to CONFIG ran make, then make
install, rebooted, and I still get the same error.  What am I
missing???   Thanks

Post by Brett R. Rossell » Sun, 09 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> >> I have the same problem, and I've done the above, but when i reboot i
> >> get an error message saying unable to locate /lib/modules/misc/iBCS.
> >> When I reinstall the ibcs package, I get the unresolved symbols error
> >> again.  I've recompiled the kernel before and after installing the
> >> ibcs package.  It's like I have a choice, either unresolved symbols
> >> error, or unable to locate ... error.  Is there any way to solve for
> >> both errors?  Thanks

> >You need to get the source for the iBCS package, and recompile it with the
> >new kernel.

> I removed iBCS from /lib/modules/misc and got the source for iBCS,
> unpacked it,  copied CONFIG.i386 to CONFIG ran make, then make
> install, rebooted, and I still get the same error.  What am I
> missing???   Thanks

  I removed the IBCS package. So far, I haven't needed it.

Brett

Post by Christof Buerg » Mon, 10 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I removed iBCS from /lib/modules/misc and got the source for iBCS,
> unpacked it,  copied CONFIG.i386 to CONFIG ran make, then make
> install, rebooted, and I still get the same error.  What am I
> missing???   Thanks

Try changing the value of "Set version information on all symbols for
modules" in the "Loadable module support" section of your kernel
configuration. (I mean, if it's set, unset it. If it's unset, set it.)

Anyway, you only need it if you try to run programs which do need the iBCS
specification. (e.G. pure SCO-programs). There is no rule to use it if you
stick with Linux-programs.

--
|--------------------------------------------------------------------
|--------------------------------------------------------------------

|--------------------------------------------------------------------
| Linux... and the beat goes on!
| Linux... und es geht weiter!
|--------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Netatalk: 'afpd' reports unresolved symbol '__xstat'

Hello:

I'm trying to get Netatalk (1.4b2+asun2.1.0-5) working under Linux 2.0.35
(Red Hat 5.1 with all updates applied).  The kernel is custom and includes
Appletalk network support as well as other required networking options as
specified in the kernel docs and Netatalk docs.

I can see my server in the Chooser Appletalk shares, and if I enable
guest logins in the atalk.init file, I can sign on as guest.  But if I
try logging into either the 'admin' account I established, or my own
regular account, the Mac sits there for about 2 minutes before saying
that the connection to the server was "unexpectantly broken".  I've tried
this with and without clear-text logins enabled.  I'm having equally
problematic results with both MacOS 7.5.5 as well as 7.1, so I don't think
my problem is related to the 'asun' patches.

Interestingly enough, I *was* able to get things working about a month
ago, and went on my merry way thinking everybody was happy.  But for
whatever reason, things have stopped working.

I tried running afpd in debug mode, and this is what I see:

Starting AppleTalk services: atalkd papd afpd command: 18
12 0E 41 46 50 56 65 72 73 69 6F 6E 20 32 2E 31         ..AFPVersion 2.1
10 43 6C 65 61 72 74 78 74 20 70 61 73 73 77 72         .Cleartxt passwr
64 05 61 64 6D 69 6E 00 20 73 74 70 61 74 20 00         d.admin.tuvwxyz.
(end)
afpd: can't resolve symbol '__xstat'

[ Note: I've changed the password to 'tuvwxyz' "just in case" ;-) ]

What has me concerned is the "can't resolve symbol '__xstat'" message.
Surely *that* can't be good.

Anybody have any ideas?

--------------< LINUX: The choice of a GNU generation. >--------------

2. Supported PCI bridge chipsets

3. Getting unresolved symbols for 'new' and 'delete' operators

4. INETD

5. DHCP Won't work!!!

6. How to Install a modem?

7. Subject: Unresolved symbols from 'make modules_install'

9. 'Unresolved symbols in module...' error

10. Whats an 'unresolved symbol' ?

11. TkRat and libtcl8.0.so unresolved symbol 'stat' (???)