HELP -- Need advice to buy inkjet printer ------------

Post by Kaushik --,-> » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

 hi

I am trying to buy a decent printer for my Linux box. I need some advice
from all you great guys here! I want the following in my printer:

* inkjet
* postscript (if possible. not important)
* DEFINITELY work with Linux
* good quality lettering. (solid, smooth characters in print - I'm going
to be printing documents for work)
* price range :  around $200.
* tried and tested by fellow linux users :))

If somebody in the Dallas/Fort Worth area wants to sell his good Linux
printer second-hand at a fair price, please email me.

thanks in advance

regds,
Kaushik

             Kaushik Raghavan
  "ASCII stupid question, get stupid ANSI"

Post by Adrian Hand » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>  hi

> I am trying to buy a decent printer for my Linux box. I need some advice
> from all you great guys here! I want the following in my printer:

> * inkjet
> * postscript (if possible. not important)
> * DEFINITELY work with Linux
> * good quality lettering. (solid, smooth characters in print - I'm going
> to be printing documents for work)
> * price range :  around $200.
> * tried and tested by fellow linux users :))

> If somebody in the Dallas/Fort Worth area wants to sell his good Linux
> printer second-hand at a fair price, please email me.

> thanks in advance

> regds,
> Kaushik

I bought an HP 820Cse and discovered the horrible twisted truth about
GDI "printers" the hard way.
Make sure you don't get stuck with a GDI "printer" they're pure garbage.
I was so disillusioned with this experience that I trashed it and made
sure that the next printer I bought was NOT an HP.
I bought an Epson Stylus 600 and it's been okay so far.
I think if I had it to do over again, I'd go ahead and spend the bucks
to get a laser.
I don't need color.

HELP -- Need advice to buy inkjet printer ------------

Post by j.. » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > I bought an Epson Stylus 600 and it's been okay so far.
> > I think if I had it to do over again, I'd go ahead and spend the bucks
> > to get a laser.
> > I don't need color.

> The Canon BJC-250, which I think is the cheapest Canon you can buy
> (about $90) actually works fine with Linux. I used to have one before I
> stepped up to a BJC-5000 and discovered that it is a GDI printer!

> Note that not all lasers are compatible with Linux. I used to own a
> Xerox DocuPrint P8 and it is a GDI printer (damn fine printer too, but
> only if running Windows). I currently use a Brother HL-1040 which works
> fine, but only at 300 dpi with Ghostscript. Check the Printing HOWTO
> website (can't remember URL offhand). There is an excellent database
> there with the information you *need* to know prior to buying a printer
> for Linux. Highly recommended.

My BJC-4200 runs quite well with gs.  A little gamma correction for color is
all.  That printer's highest res is 720x360 or something, so getting only
360x360 is ok with me....

Post by Donald E. Stidwel » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I bought an Epson Stylus 600 and it's been okay so far.
> I think if I had it to do over again, I'd go ahead and spend the bucks
> to get a laser.
> I don't need color.

The Canon BJC-250, which I think is the cheapest Canon you can buy
(about $90) actually works fine with Linux. I used to have one before I
stepped up to a BJC-5000 and discovered that it is a GDI printer!

Note that not all lasers are compatible with Linux. I used to own a
Xerox DocuPrint P8 and it is a GDI printer (damn fine printer too, but
only if running Windows). I currently use a Brother HL-1040 which works
fine, but only at 300 dpi with Ghostscript. Check the Printing HOWTO
website (can't remember URL offhand). There is an excellent database
there with the information you *need* to know prior to buying a printer
for Linux. Highly recommended.

Don

Post by Ron Gibs » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> > I am trying to buy a decent printer for my Linux box. I need some advice
> > from all you great guys here! I want the following in my printer:
> > * inkjet
> > * postscript (if possible. not important)
> > * DEFINITELY work with Linux
> I bought an HP 820Cse and discovered the horrible twisted truth about
> GDI "printers" the hard way.
> Make sure you don't get stuck with a GDI "printer" they're pure garbage.
> I was so disillusioned with this experience that I trashed it and made
> sure that the next printer I bought was NOT an HP.
> I bought an Epson Stylus 600 and it's been okay so far.
> I think if I had it to do over again, I'd go ahead and spend the bucks
> to get a laser.

I'll second the motion for B&W ink jets myself.  I've had a
Epson Stylus 800+ for 4 years now and it's been great. They have
a zillion emulations and it's hard not to find a driver that works.

I have native drivers for OS/2 and Win3.1 also.  Fast and economical.
Only thing to watch for is to make sure that it doesn't sit too long
unused as the print head can dry any clog. Use it at least once a week.

1. Need advice on what InkJet printer to buy.

I looked on the Internet, but can't find info on what is a good choice for a
printer as far as compatibility is concerned. I have RH5.1, and want to buy a
nonexpensive InkJet printer. Every company I looked so far (lexmark,
cannon, hp, epson) (I mean web pages) offeres drivers only for windows.
Anybody can tell me about it?
Thanks a lot.
Denis

2. security for many users... (basic question)

3. Need advice about buying a printer

4. Linux install problem on mac...

5. Best Inkjet Printer to Buy

6. Xwindows newbie

7. good buy on postscript color inkjet printer $59.95

8. Netscape 3.0beta4

9. I need someone to build a printer driver for an inkjet printer

10. Advice on buying a printer

11. Need help buying laser printer for Linux!!!

12. HOW DO I - Configure an Inkjet Printer as a Postscript Printer ?

13. Need Network Printer Help/Advice