ANNOUNCE: xldlas v0.20 (A Program for Statistics)

ANNOUNCE: xldlas v0.20 (A Program for Statistics)

Post by Thor Sigvaldas » Tue, 15 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Announcing xldlas v0.20
=======================

        I have recently placed the first public release of xldlas
        (version 0.20) in sunsite's incoming directory as:

                xldlas-0.20-srcbin.tgz

        I expect it to be moved to:

                ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/math/

        shortly.

What is it?
===========

        It's for doing statistics.

Highlights
==========

        * Based on the xforms library (ie. looks pretty slick)

        * Point and click interface to statistical summaries, OLS
          regression, plotting, correlation analysis, etc.

        * Experimental curve fitting routine that uses genetic algorithms
          with some nice visual feedback.

        * Very handy automatic generating of .tex format log files,
          including tables and plots.

        * Online help

Worried about the Version Number?
=================================

        Well, I've never seen it crash, but it is a beta release.

Where'd the Name come from
==========================

        xldlas was inspired by a non-X statistics program called ldlas,
        which stood for ldlas, damned lies, and statistics. So, I guess
        xldlas stands for x ldlas, damned lies, and statisitics.

Feedback
========

        The author (Thor Sigvaldason) is happy to receive feedback

LSM
===

Begin3
Title:          xldlas
Version:        0.20
Entered-date:   October 12, 1996
                regression analysis, curve fitting using genetic
                algorithms, and some other useful stuff.
                correlation, math

Primary-site:   ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/math/
Alternate-site:
Platform:       Standard Linux (whatever that means)
Copying-policy: GPL
End

Post by Thor Sigvaldaso » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> In comp.os.linux.misc you write:
> >GPL

> Pity the source code for xforms is not available.  Not much point GPL'ing
> your code if it uses xforms.

        I must admit I feel some trepidation about writing free software
that relies on a package for which source code is not available. I think,
however, that you put your point a little too strongly, since GPL'd
software is available that runs under Windows, OS/2, etc. There is also
the point that the majority of the code written for xldlas could be
adapted to a new front end should that need arise.

Regards,

Thor Sigvaldason

Post by Shankar Un » Fri, 18 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > In comp.os.linux.misc you write:
> > >GPL

> > Pity the source code for xforms is not available.  Not much point GPL'ing
> > your code if it uses xforms.

Well, that's a bit strong. There's GPL code out there that uses Motif. What's
the difference?

--

Chromatic Research                            (408) 752-9488