e2fsck -c and badblocks not fixing problem

e2fsck -c and badblocks not fixing problem

Post by Jason Alliso » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I have a bad sector on my linux partition(hda5)

I know where its at, but e2fsck 0c doesnt seem to mark the bad sector.
any ideas?

Thanx

--

 Jason Allison           Computer Science at

 No 8hr load time: http://www.cs.wvu.edu/~jallison

Post by Jon Martin Solaa » Mon, 07 Apr 1997 05:00:00

> I have a bad sector on my linux partition(hda5)

> I know where its at, but e2fsck 0c doesnt seem to mark the bad sector.
> any ideas?

> Thanx

> --

>  Jason Allison           Computer Science at

>  No 8hr load time: http://www.cs.wvu.edu/~jallison

There was an article in Linux Journal by David A. Bandel describing this
(Jan-97 issue).

It seems like you need to use badblocks to get a list of bad blocks and
then use debugfs to manually mark the bad blocks as used, so that they
won't be allocated in the future.

Someone should write a BadBlocks-mini-howto and describe how to deal
with this stuff.

--
Jon Martin Solaas