FAT32 formatted drives being read by RedHat Linux?

FAT32 formatted drives being read by RedHat Linux?

Post by Chad Paul » Sat, 04 May 2002 00:27:44

Can Linux read FAT32 drives or do I need to load a driver if one is made? I
thought there was some way to read a FAT / FAT 16 drive under Linux, did not
know if a FAT 32 drive could be read.

Chad Pauli

FAT32 formatted drives being read by RedHat Linux?

Post by Zippybea » Sat, 04 May 2002 01:14:06

Yep, FAT32 can be read.

ZB

Post by James Silverto » Sat, 04 May 2002 07:25:20

> Can Linux read FAT32 drives or do I need to load a driver if one is made? I
> thought there was some way to read a FAT / FAT 16 drive under Linux, did not
> know if a FAT 32 drive could be read.

I don't have any trouble reading them with SuSE 6.2; so they have been
readable for quite some time.

Jim.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland.

Post by Luca » Sat, 04 May 2002 13:39:50

>> Can Linux read FAT32 drives or do I need to load a driver if one is made?
>> I thought there was some way to read a FAT / FAT 16 drive under Linux,
>> did not know if a FAT 32 drive could be read.

When you mount it, the file system type is vfat.
For instance, you may type: mount -t vfat /dev/hdc1 /windows
to mount the first FAT32 partition on hdc.

You can also add a line to /etc/fstab to have the partition mounted
automatically at boot.

1. Can Linux or fips read FAT32 drives?

At a minimum, I would like to be able to resize my drive to make room
for Linux without a) having to lose my Fat32 partitioning, and b) having
to spend extra money on Partition Magic.

Are there versions of FIPS in the works which will be able to resize a
FAT32 drive?  Will Linux be able to read fat32 within the next few
months?

Thanks in advance...  Ian.

    Canada | http://www3.sympatico.ca/ian.hay/

2. Share Windows internet with Linux over network

3. errors installing LILO on FAT32 formatted drive

4. Apache problem -- the answer!

5. Trouble reading Sparc FS 4.2 formatted Jaz drive with Linux

6. Sending ICMP messages

7. Reading FAT32 drive with KDE

8. NFS problems

9. reading raw data off of a shot Fat32 drive (using dd)

10. IBM 10.1 gig drive fat32 probs under Redhat 5.1

11. Redhat 5.0 (2.0.32 kernel), LILO install problems on FAT32 drive

12. HELP!! FAT32, Large Drives and RedHat 5.1 Installation

13. fat32 and linux native hard disk formats