Email to box w/dynamic IP?

Post by Mike Markows » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

My RH5.0 setup attaches to the net via a ppp connection with my
university, which assigns me a dynamic IP address.

I have no need to move all my email to my linux box with something
like fetchmail, but occasionally would like to be able to forward
particular emails to my linux box.  The ISP howto only implies that
this is hard or a hassle without a static IP.  Could anyone point me
to more info on how to do this - or maybe why I don't want to bother
doing this?

Incidentally, making no changes to sendmail.cf, email sent to my
linux box was returned with a "we do not relay" message.  I allowed
my school domain to relay according to the RH5.0 installation manual,
but then the mail bounced back with a message saying "address loops
back to myself" or something similar.

Thanks,
Mike

Email to box w/dynamic IP?

Post by Bryan Wilkinso » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

go to http://ml.org and you can get a domain name which you can
constantly change to point to your dynamic ip address.

Quote:> particular emails to my linux box.  The ISP howto only implies that
> this is hard or a hassle without a static IP.  Could anyone point me
> to more info on how to do this - or maybe why I don't want to bother
> doing this?

Email to box w/dynamic IP?

Post by Leslie Mikese » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>I have no need to move all my email to my linux box with something
>like fetchmail, but occasionally would like to be able to forward
>particular emails to my linux box.  The ISP howto only implies that
>this is hard or a hassle without a static IP.  Could anyone point me
>to more info on how to do this - or maybe why I don't want to bother
>doing this?

(where the nnn... your IP address) easier than configuring
something to map a name to the number.  Of course the delivery
has to complete before you hang up but normally it would be
immediate.

   Les Mikesell

Email to box w/dynamic IP?

Post by James Kno » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>go to http://ml.org and you can get a domain name which you can
>constantly change to point to your dynamic ip address.

Is that URL correct?  When I tried accessing it, I got back a message that
there was no DNS entry for it.

The above opinions are my own and not those of ISM Corp., a subsidiary of
IBM Canada Ltd.

Email to box w/dynamic IP?

Post by Zailong Bia » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> >I have no need to move all my email to my linux box with something
> >like fetchmail, but occasionally would like to be able to forward
> >particular emails to my linux box.  The ISP howto only implies that
> >this is hard or a hassle without a static IP.  Could anyone point me
> >to more info on how to do this - or maybe why I don't want to bother
> >doing this?

> (where the nnn... your IP address) easier than configuring
> something to map a name to the number.  Of course the delivery
> has to complete before you hang up but normally it would be
> immediate.

        That WON'T work if you ISP doesn't route email for you.  Get a
name is a fix.

>    Les Mikesell

Email to box w/dynamic IP?

Post by Lane Ohlemeie » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Maybe the IP address changed :-)

> >go to http://ml.org and you can get a domain name which you can
> >constantly change to point to your dynamic ip address.

> Is that URL correct?  When I tried accessing it, I got back a message
that
> there was no DNS entry for it.

> --

> The above opinions are my own and not those of ISM Corp., a subsidiary of
> IBM Canada Ltd.

Email to box w/dynamic IP?

Post by Noah L. Meyerhan » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00

www.ddns.org offers a similar service, as well as some cool forwarding
options (which are mostly useful for people who aren't running linux,
and therefore don't want mail routed to their system, but still, they're
interesting).

noah

> go to http://ml.org and you can get a domain name which you can
> constantly change to point to your dynamic ip address.

--

  PGP public key available at
  http://lynx.dac.neu.edu/home/httpd/n/nmeyerha/mail.html

Email to box w/dynamic IP?

Post by Douglas E. Mitt » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Try http://www.ml.org

I use the "Dynamic DNS" service every time my Linux system connects to
the internet!  It is great!

Read all the FAQs and stuff ... there is a lot of information there!
Its also possible to obtain some utilities to automate it all
(updating the entry each time you dialup your ISP) BUT once you read
all the stuff it is also possible to just use 'lynx' in your ip-up
script.

Good luck!

>Maybe the IP address changed :-)

>> >go to http://ml.org and you can get a domain name which you can
>> >constantly change to point to your dynamic ip address.

>> Is that URL correct?  When I tried accessing it, I got back a message
>that
>> there was no DNS entry for it.
>> --

>> The above opinions are my own and not those of ISM Corp., a subsidiary of
>> IBM Canada Ltd.

The FACTS are my Employers, OPINIONS are my own!

Sorry: SPAM reduction project in progress:
       Remove the "x." from my domain to reply!

Email to box w/dynamic IP?

Post by Jim Chane » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

You probably won't be able to do this, and not because of the dynamic
IP.  At the ISP I work for the DNS record for each dynamic IP have an MX
record pointing back to the local mail server.  This prevents users from
leaving a Linux (or any other OS) machine connected constantly and
giving email addresses on it.

>Hi,

>My RH5.0 setup attaches to the net via a ppp connection with my
>university, which assigns me a dynamic IP address.

>I have no need to move all my email to my linux box with something
>like fetchmail, but occasionally would like to be able to forward
>particular emails to my linux box.  The ISP howto only implies that
>this is hard or a hassle without a static IP.  Could anyone point me
>to more info on how to do this - or maybe why I don't want to bother
>doing this?

>Incidentally, making no changes to sendmail.cf, email sent to my
>linux box was returned with a "we do not relay" message.  I allowed
>my school domain to relay according to the RH5.0 installation manual,
>but then the mail bounced back with a message saying "address loops
>back to myself" or something similar.

>Thanks,
>Mike

Email to box w/dynamic IP?

Post by Jay Co » Sat, 07 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> > >I have no need to move all my email to my linux box with something
> > >like fetchmail, but occasionally would like to be able to forward
> > >particular emails to my linux box.  The ISP howto only implies that
> > >this is hard or a hassle without a static IP.  Could anyone point me
> > >to more info on how to do this - or maybe why I don't want to bother
> > >doing this?

> > (where the nnn... your IP address) easier than configuring
> > something to map a name to the number.  Of course the delivery
> > has to complete before you hang up but normally it would be
> > immediate.

>         That WON'T work if you ISP doesn't route email for you.  Get a
> name is a fix.

The answer is simple.  look at http://www.ml.org or
http://members.ml.org and look around for stuff on dynamic ips.  I would
tell you of the url for the other dynamic dns lookup but I forget it

The only problem with having a blah.blah.dyn.ml.org address is (well
they say this anyway) that it may take 5 or 10 minutes before the server
finally updates the ip address for that host.

Also, If you ever get a strange error about MX problem (loops back to
me?) or something with a similar phraseology with sendmail, it means
either the dyn.ml.org  dns server is down or your hostname hasn't been
updated yet.

Good Luck!

Jay

1. 4 Dynamic DSL IP's - 1 linux box - 2 win95/98 boxes

Okay ---  This is a hard on to explain.

My DSL connection allows 4 IP's at one time in the range of 54.15.153.*

These IP addresses are obtained through DHCP.

My current network configuration is DSL_Modem->HUB->ALL_COMPUTERS(3)

My Linux Box has 2 NICs

I want to change to configuration to:

        DSL_Modem->Linux_box->Hub->Win_Computers (2)

I do not wish to use Masquerade due to the all the program's we run:

        Firetalk, ICQ, Roger Wilco,AIM, EverQuest, Half-life, Demonstar, a
custom chat, Web Servers, Ftp Servers.

So How do I keep the Dynamic DHCP service for each computer when the Win
computers' Gateway provided by the DHCP service is outside the local
network.   54.15.152.1

Honestly, I have gotten nothing to work here at all..

Here is the info I have gotten so far:

    Linux eth1 (DSL) IP:    54.15.153.140  ->Gateway     54.15.152.1
               eth0 ->  don't know what to set it 2...

    WinComp1           IP:   54.15.153.5       -> Same Gateway
    WinComp2           IP:   54.15.153.108   -> Same...

Connections:

    Linux->eth1->DSL Modem
    Linux->eth0->HUB

    Win95.1->eth0->HUB
    Win95.2->eth1->HUB

All computers use DHCP to get IP Address.

I don't want to Masquerade.  (Since I have access to the IP Addresses)

The IP address's can change (as I have been warned)

What is odd, (to me) is that every time I boot all machines in various
orders, they always end up with same IP.
(That is when they are all connected to the internet directly via the HUB)

Please advise.

Sincerely,

Charles.

2. new X protocol compressor - how can i distribute it?

3. E-Mail my dynamic IP to myself

4. stb velocity 128 and x windows

5. How could I use dynamic ip flow control in my Linux box

6. Kbytes: Real memory vs. Hard disk space

7. Dynamic IP dialup tcp/ip

8. NEED AUDIO AND FULL MOTION VIDEO FOR RS/6000. ANY TAKERS ???

9. Dynamic IP and ip-up

10. Static IP address from Dynamic IP

11. can't setup tcp/ip between linux box and win95 box

12. tcp/ip with dynamic ip addressing?

13. IP Masquerading w/ dynamic IP