Resizing of DOS-Partition

Post by Sebastian Henke » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a problem with my WIN95 PC and installing Linux.

There is a nice tool for resizing my old partions on my LINUX CD called
fips. But in order to do any ersizing, I need to sort all blocks on my
harddisk in front of the partition. Unfortunatly I have run Norton
Utilities3.0  to defrag my partition. This program optimized my partition by
moving all my files that are not used very often to the end of my disk. Now
I can't use fips. Unfortunatly I have no CD-Writer or ZIP drive and my
partition is 2.1GB large with 600MB free.
Having a seperate 400MB harddisk I would like to have the full 1GB for Linux
while keeping my original WIN95 partition.

Can anybody give me any hint of what I can do or tell me of a program that
can reshuffel my blocks?

Best regards,

Sebastian

Resizing of DOS-Partition

Post by Sebastian Henke » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

That was what I tried first. But the system said, it was 0% deframented. And when
I looked at it with fips I just got 180MB of the free 600MB, as some blocks where
left over and couldn't be moved. Then I was given the hint to use Norton Utilities
for that purpose and that totally backfired. Norton Utilities puts the least used
blocks at the end of my hard disk. And I haven't figured out yet, how I can move
the free area to the end of my disk.

Perhaps somebody now of a tool, that can move blocks on a hard disk.

Keith schrieb:

> On Sun, 7 Feb 1999 09:16:05 +0100, Sebastian Henkel

> > Hi,

> > I have a problem with my WIN95 PC and installing Linux.

> > There is a nice tool for resizing my old partions on my LINUX CD called
> > fips. But in order to do any ersizing, I need to sort all blocks on my
> > harddisk in front of the partition. Unfortunatly I have run Norton
> > Utilities3.0  to defrag my partition. This program optimized my partition by
> > moving all my files that are not used very often to the end of my disk. Now
> > I can't use fips. Unfortunatly I have no CD-Writer or ZIP drive and my
> > partition is 2.1GB large with 600MB free.
> > Having a seperate 400MB harddisk I would like to have the full 1GB for Linux
> > while keeping my original WIN95 partition.

> > Can anybody give me any hint of what I can do or tell me of a program that
> > can reshuffel my blocks?

> > Best regards,

> > Sebastian

> If you have MS-DOS you should run defrag. If you have a windows
> swap disk you should delete it before running defrag.

> --
> Keith
> http://www.teleport.com/~kew/simtelnet1999
> A list of the Latest uploads to SIMTEL.NET

1. Cannot Format Resized DOS Partition

I have a two SCSI drives, the second of which I use as my DOS partition
and swap partition.  I recently decided to increase the size of my swap
partition on this drive since I upgraded the RAM on my system.  (The
previous sizes of the partitions were about 530 MB for DOS and 20 MB for
the swap.)  Now, I increased the swap partition to 64 MB, and the DOS
partition was decreased to around 485 MB.  The DOS partition was working
fine until I did this, and now, after resizing, I cannot format the
DOS parition.  I fdisked the hard drive under linux, then tried
formating the DOS partition both under DOS and using mkfs, but after
formatting about 15% of the drive, it just stops.  I have also run
fdisk /MBR under DOS, which hasn't helped either.  The drive itself
still works when I make the DOS partition an ext2 partition.  The swap
partition works as well.  Someone told me that I have to issue some
commands when I resize a DOS partition.

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. 3c590 vortex patches - do they work?

3. Partitioning does not work on extended DOS-Partition

4. Modem load balancing?

5. how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

6. Configuration Support

7. Moving/Resizing Linux (ext2) partitions with Partition Magic: It works!

8. Parrallel port CDROMS

9. creating a swap partition and resizing existing partitions

10. Resize linux partition w/ Partition Magic!!

11. Resizing Linux partition by Partition Magic - help needed!

12. Newbie: How big a partition should be/resize Linux partition

13. Resize linux partition w/ Partition Magic!!