Using Linux file system under Windows95

Post by Heimo Adelsberge » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

On my laptop, I have installed Linux and Windows95. When working with
Linux,
I can mount the Windows95 partitions, but I would like to access (at
minimum
read only) my Linux partitions. Is that possible?

--
---------------------
 Prof. Dr. Heimo H. Adelsberger

 Wirtschaftsinformatik der Produktionsunternehmen  Tel.: +49 (201)
81003-56
 Universitaet-GH-Essen                             Sek.: +49 (201)
81003-57
 Altendorferstrasse 97, D-45143 Essen              FAX:  +49 (201)
81003-67
 CURRENTLY :
 Industrial Engineering, NC State, 210 Park Shops, Raleigh, NC
27695-7213
 office: 919-515-3521, home: 919-512-1083

Using Linux file system under Windows95

Post by John Alle » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

There is a utility on sunsite called lread

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/utils/dos/lread-2.23.zip

> On my laptop, I have installed Linux and Windows95. When working with
> Linux,
> I can mount the Windows95 partitions, but I would like to access (at
> minimum
> read only) my Linux partitions. Is that possible?

> --
> ---------------------
>  Prof. Dr. Heimo H. Adelsberger

>  Wirtschaftsinformatik der Produktionsunternehmen  Tel.: +49 (201)
> 81003-56
>  Universitaet-GH-Essen                             Sek.: +49 (201)
> 81003-57
>  Altendorferstrasse 97, D-45143 Essen              FAX:  +49 (201)
> 81003-67
>  CURRENTLY :
>  Industrial Engineering, NC State, 210 Park Shops, Raleigh, NC
> 27695-7213
>  office: 919-515-3521, home: 919-512-1083

Jonathan Allen
Raytheon E-Systems, Fallschurch Division

phone: 703-560-5000x2497

** Any opinions expressed above are my own, and not
   those of my employer.

Using Linux file system under Windows95

Post by hbaec.. » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 15:04:08 -0400, Heimo Adelsberger

>On my laptop, I have installed Linux and Windows95. When working with
>Linux,
>I can mount the Windows95 partitions, but I would like to access (at
>minimum
>read only) my Linux partitions. Is that possible?

>--
>---------------------

There is a package ext2tool.zip of DOS procedures to read ext2
partitions. No idea where to find it today.

Harry

Post by David M. Co » Sun, 14 Sep 1997 04:00:00

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 15:04:08 -0400,

>I can mount the Windows95 partitions, but I would like to access (at
>minimum
>read only) my Linux partitions. Is that possible?

Yes.  Get this package:

http://www.globalxs.nl/home/p/pvs/

This is read only (not sure I trust win95 to write to my Linux partitions
anyway).

I used this to write a batch file that mounts my Linux partitions.  I then
configured the properties of the file so it closed on exit and then added
it to my start up programs.  Works great.  I do have one program (MTCM)
that is confused by the ext2 partitions, tho.

Dave Cook

Post by Gordon Chamberli » Sun, 14 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> On my laptop, I have installed Linux and Windows95. When working with
> Linux,
> I can mount the Windows95 partitions, but I would like to access (at
> minimum
> read only) my Linux partitions. Is that possible?

No it is not -- at least I don't know of any work in this direction.
However, it is possible to read a Linux fs from OS/2 Warp.  Doesn't
Micro$loth's closed operating system policy bite?!?!

 -Gordon

PS: How do keep spamers from sending me email after posting to a news
group?

Post by Tim Henstoc » Sun, 14 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> http://www.globalxs.nl/home/p/pvs/

> This is read only (not sure I trust win95 to write to my Linux partitions
> anyway).

> Dave Cook

even if it is read only it seems like an obvious security hole -
some files are not meant to be even read (e.g. /etc/shadow).
arguably this is no worse than having physical access available
to a machine, but I would get worried if other Win95 machines
on the network were able to read the mounted filesystem...

Tim Henstock

Post by Frank Sweetse » Sun, 14 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> > http://www.globalxs.nl/home/p/pvs/

> > This is read only (not sure I trust win95 to write to my Linux partitions
> > anyway).

> > Dave Cook

> even if it is read only it seems like an obvious security hole -
> some files are not meant to be even read (e.g. /etc/shadow).
> arguably this is no worse than having physical access available
> to a machine, but I would get worried if other Win95 machines
> on the network were able to read the mounted filesystem...

????

This has nothing to do with networking.  This is, you can stick an ext2
disk in a win95 machine with these drivers loaded, and the windows box can
assign a drive letter to the ext2 partition.  For networking, you still
need to go through the same paths as always - install samba on the linux
box, or get an nfs client for the 95 machine.  For this to work, the win95
machine *is* the linux machine - just dual booting.

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre9 i486       | at public servers
Woody: How are you today, Mr. Peterson?
Norm:  Never been better, Woody. ... Just once I'd like to be better.
                -- Cheers, Chambers vs. Malone

1. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

    Some time ago I was involved in discussion on this news group regarding the
design of a new file system for Linux.  The main aim is to support dynamic size
changing by adding/removing partitions from the file system at run time without
interrupting processes that are using the file system.  Another major feature is
logging so that a system crash or power failure can be recovered from without
data loss or an excessive amount of time spent running FSCK.

  This project is now going ahead, if you are interested then please load up the
following URL: http://www.virtual.net.au/~rjc/enh-fs.html

Russell Coker

2. Help - New to Linux

3. Linux Server using Sendmail/ Windows95/NT clients

4. how to install RH 5.1?

5. Problem in using elm to send the attached file using system() call in C program

6. Solaris 2.4 PPP server page faults with Microsoft PPP clients

7. Linux Server using Sendmail/ Windows95/NT clients

8. mysql cross-compiler error

9. Using windows95 as a gateway for Linux (the other way around :))

10. Using Linux and Windows95 on one computer

11. "Standard Journaled File System" vs "Large File Enabled Journaled File System"

12. How do I reinstall Linux to a new file system from a running Linux system?

13. BUG in ext2 file-system (2.0.33 kernel): tried to extend a file using lseek