Low-cost wireless networking in Linux

Post by Dr. Aldo Medin » Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:57:57

I'm trying to install a mini-LAN in my home with three computers. I
would prefer a wireless LAN, but the solutions I've found either don't
work with Linux or are very expensive for me (many cost more than my
computers). Are there any Wireless card for Linux that I could use?.
TIA

--
Linux User #98419         -o)    | Second Law of Robotics: A robot
http://counter.li.org      /\    | must obey the orders given by human

Low-cost wireless networking in Linux

Post by Bob Hau » Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:43:51

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 23:57:57 -0600, Dr. Aldo Medina

> I'm trying to install a mini-LAN in my home with three computers. I
> would prefer a wireless LAN, but the solutions I've found either don't
> work with Linux or are very expensive for me

Yes, wireless is a lot more expensive than a wired LAN.  There doesn't
seem to be any way around that.

802.11 wireless cards are going for around US $139, plus $69 for the PCI
adapter for a desktop PC.  Most of those work with Linux even though
only a few companies make note of this.  You can use them in ad-hoc
mode without an access point, but OTOH you can get an access point from
LinkSys for $269 that also has an Internet firewall built in.

Proxim "Symphony" wireless cards are slightly less expensive and also
work with Linux, but are slower.  They don't need an access point (I
have three PC's networked this way).

For more information about wireless LAN and Linux, try reading this:
<http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/>

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

Post by Dr. Aldo Medin » Wed, 02 May 2001 14:59:40

> On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 23:57:57 -0600, Dr. Aldo Medina

> > I'm trying to install a mini-LAN in my home with three computers. I
> > would prefer a wireless LAN, but the solutions I've found either don't
> > work with Linux or are very expensive for me

> Yes, wireless is a lot more expensive than a wired LAN.  There doesn't
> seem to be any way around that.

> 802.11 wireless cards are going for around US $139, plus $69 for the PCI
> adapter for a desktop PC.  Most of those work with Linux even though
> only a few companies make note of this.  You can use them in ad-hoc
> mode without an access point, but OTOH you can get an access point from
> LinkSys for $269 that also has an Internet firewall built in.

> Proxim "Symphony" wireless cards are slightly less expensive and also
> work with Linux, but are slower.  They don't need an access point (I
> have three PC's networked this way).

> For more information about wireless LAN and Linux, try reading this:
> <http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/>

Thanks. I already read the HOWTO. I'll investigate this Symphony cards.

--
Linux User #98419         -o)    | A la ma?ana siguiente:  "He pasado
http://counter.li.org      /\    | una noche estupenda... pero no ha