Kernel versions, IP firewalls, IP masquerading and stability

Kernel versions, IP firewalls, IP masquerading and stability

Post by Dave Mill » Sun, 26 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Greetings all, I have a question or two to put to you about kernel
revisions.

What is the earliest version of the kernel that supports IP
masquerading and IP firewalls (proxy ARP, and various proxy servers)?
I understand that 1.2.x are "stable" releases of linux and that the
last 1.2.x version is 1.2.10.  Then there is 1.3.x - which is supposed
to be experimental.

I am presently using linux kernel 1.2.8 as distributed with
InfoMagic's slackware 2.3 distribution     What I want to know is
which version of the kernel I should be using for my linux box, I need
those above features.

Also, I have a CMD VLB EIDE controler in my machine (oh well) which I
understand has problems with data corruption.  (I have only 1 EIDE
drive connected to it and my CDROM is SCSI)  What revision of the
kernel do I need to use for this not to be a worry?

I also want to look at NFS, but if I understand that correctly then
this is a daemon that is loaded by the init process.  I am a relative
new comer to linux and am a little overwhelmed by the quantity of
information sources, knowing where to go.

cheers, Dave

1. Backup scripts, IP firewalling and IP masquerading

I posted some backup scripts I wrote on http://home.earthlink.net/~simpson3.
These scripts dump a set of filesystems to a large SCSI tape drive (such as
a DAT) drive using the dump(8) and restore(8) programs that come with Linux.

Also, on that page is a description of IP firewalling and IP masquerading.
A sample script to set these up is contained there too.
    Scott

2. Linux-Netscape/MS-ICS??

3. IP Firewall and IP Masquerading Problems

4. Panasonic Eggcam---does anyone know a program that works with this?

5. IP Masquerading: dynamic IP assignment beyond the firewall?

6. Ditto 3200 Accelerator FTAPE

7. IP for masqueraded net other than masquerading host IP

8. Using gethostname to get host

9. Web server behind firewall, IP masquerading, 2.2 kernel

10. IP NAT and IP Masquerading

11. IP-Chains vs. IP-Masquerade

12. IP Masquerade , IP Chains

13. proxy route gateway ip masquerading ip chains ?