file names under different shells

Post by Lei Min » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

hi

    I have two questions. The first one is whether it is possible for a file
to have different names under bash and csh. In my department's system I came
across a strange thing that a folder is called "\r" under
bash and called "?" under csh. The second one is that in shell scripts
whether there is a difference between "/''*" and "/*". What are the use of
two double single quotes in the "/''*". Aren't they redundant? The shell
script "startx" has the expression "/''*".

    Any response will be much appreciated.

Lei

1. different file names under different shells

hi

    I have two questions. The first one is whether it is possible for a
file
to have different names under bash and csh. In my department's system, I
came across a strange thing that a folder is called "\r" under bash and
"?'
under csh. It seemed that "?" is the right name. Under csh, I can "cd"
into
"?". But under bash, I can't "cd" into "\r".

    The second one is that in shell script "startx", there is a line
including a expression "/''*". I am wondering whether "\*" is enough.
What
is the use of two single quotes in the "\''*".

    Any help will be much appreciated.

Lei

2. Easy mini Linux

3. file names under different shells

4. DIP setup

5. Is it possible for a file has different names under different shells

6. Welcome to comp.unix.programmer (v1.13)

7. Different Functions of Same Name in Different Libs

8. Cross-compiling kernel ->PowerPC

9. Using different IP Names for different Unix apps.

10. Resolving different domain names to different pages?

11. cd's files' names different and truncated

12. Running file under different name