forced umount not supported yet??

Post by Reid Sutherlan » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Redhat 5.2 isn't all that great. You will have alot less problems by
upgrading to 6.2

It seems you have programs that are not getting terminated and that are
still keeping your drives mounted. umount still as of today does not support
force unmounting. It's best if you manually attempt to unmount your drives
before rebooting. I'm guessing you're mounted drives other then your root
 / ) drive.

Quote:> Hi,

Post by Calvi » Sun, 23 Apr 2000 04:00:00

[...]

Yes, i have mounted a ext2 partition to /boot and a vfat partition to
/win98.
Is there any way that i can check which process isn't terminated??

Best regards
Calvin

> Redhat 5.2 isn't all that great. You will have alot less problems by
> upgrading to 6.2

> It seems you have programs that are not getting terminated and that are
> still keeping your drives mounted. umount still as of today does not
support
> force unmounting. It's best if you manually attempt to unmount your drives
> before rebooting. I'm guessing you're mounted drives other then your root
>  / ) drive.

> > Hi,
> >     I am using redhat 5.2. After i updated a few rpm packages, the
> following
> > error messages is shown everytime i shutdown my linux box.

> > Turning off swap            [ok]
> > Turning off quotas          [ok]
> > Unmounting file system umount: forced umount not supported yet [fail]
> > Unmounting file system umount: forced umount not supported yet [fail]
> > Unmounting file system umount: forced umount not supported yet [fail]

> > The rpm packages i updated are as following:
> > initscripts-5.09-1
> > e2fsprogs-1.18-5
> > console-tools-19990829-10
> > procps-2.0.6-5
> > modutils-2.3.9-6
> > sysklogd-1.3.31-16
> > setup-2.1.8-1
> > timeconfig-3.0.3-2
> > vixie-cron-3.0.1-40

> >     I think the problem comes from the initscripts package. Do anyone
know
> > how to solve it?? My kernel is 2.2.9

> > Best regards
> > Calvin

forced umount not supported yet??

Post by Robie Bas » Sun, 23 Apr 2000 04:00:00

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000 14:52:49 +0800, Calvin said:

Quote:>Yes, i have mounted a ext2 partition to /boot and a vfat partition to
>/win98.
>Is there any way that i can check which process isn't terminated??

Place the command:
  /sbin/sulogin
in the shutdown script; in Redhat 5.2 it is /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt IIRC.
This should appear just after all filesystems are unmounted (except for
/, which is remounted read-only).

Then do:
  cat /proc/mounts
to see which are remaining.

Press Ctrl-D to continue shutdown.

Robie.

--

forced umount not supported yet??

Post by Robie Bas » Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 00:25:02 +0800, Calvin said:

Quote:

>I found none of them being umounted ......

[entering diagnostic mode]

Drop down to runlevel 3 if you are in 5 by typing:
  init 3
as root. I'm not asking you to go down to 1 as I no longer trust your
system to do it right :-)

Then shutdown all daemons:
  for i in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S*; do $i stop; done

Now try unmounting all filesystems:
  umount -a
and remount root read-only:
  mount -n -o remount,ro /

What are the errors (and can you list /proc/mounts at this point)?

Check the integrity of umount by typing:
  rpm -V mount
if OK, then this should give nothing. Otherwise, show us the output.

Bring the system back up by typing:
  mount -n -o remount,rw /
        mount -a
        for i in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S*; do $i start;done
(and if required)
  init 5

Robie.

--

Post by Calvi » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I found none of them being umounted ......

> On Sat, 22 Apr 2000 14:52:49 +0800, Calvin said:
> >Yes, i have mounted a ext2 partition to /boot and a vfat partition to
> >/win98.
> >Is there any way that i can check which process isn't terminated??

> Place the command:
>   /sbin/sulogin
> in the shutdown script; in Redhat 5.2 it is /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt IIRC.
> This should appear just after all filesystems are unmounted (except for
> /, which is remounted read-only).

> Then do:
>   cat /proc/mounts
> to see which are remaining.

> Press Ctrl-D to continue shutdown.

> Robie.

> >Best regards
> >Calvin

> >> Redhat 5.2 isn't all that great. You will have alot less problems by
> >> upgrading to 6.2

> >> It seems you have programs that are not getting terminated and that are
> >> still keeping your drives mounted. umount still as of today does not
> >support
> >> force unmounting. It's best if you manually attempt to unmount your
drives
> >> before rebooting. I'm guessing you're mounted drives other then your
root
> >>  / ) drive.

> >> following

> >know

> --

forced umount not supported yet??

Post by Calvi » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi Robie,
     I found that the reason is i am still using the old version of mount
which came with RH5.2. I upgraded ot the newer version of mount and the
problem just gone.

    Anyway, thanks for your help. You replied to my posts very quickly and i
learned something from you also( i don't know i can add the /sbin/sulogin to
the scripts for some purpose). You really give me a good time in this
newsgroup. Thanks.

Best regards
Calvin