How do I uncompress a file with a .Z extension as opposed to .zip or .gz?

How do I uncompress a file with a .Z extension as opposed to .zip or .gz?

Post by Tom Cipollon » Mon, 23 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I recently downloaded a file with a .Z extension. I have "unzip" loaded
on my system and have sucessfully decompressed files with a .gz
extension. This time, however, I keep getting an error which claims
that the file is not a zip file or is from a series of "disks" . I know
this to be untrue. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Tom

How do I uncompress a file with a .Z extension as opposed to .zip or .gz?

Post by Scott David Gra » Mon, 23 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I recently downloaded a file with a .Z extension. I have "unzip" loaded
> on my system and have sucessfully decompressed files with a .gz
> extension. This time, however, I keep getting an error which claims
> that the file is not a zip file or is from a series of "disks" . I know
> this to be untrue. Can anyone help?

"uncompress *.Z"

> Thanks

> Tom

--Scott David Gray

http://www.tiac.net/users/sdavid

How do I uncompress a file with a .Z extension as opposed to .zip or .gz?

Post by Jim L » Mon, 23 Sep 1996 04:00:00

The file has been compressed using the Unix 'compress' utlity . You
can uncompress it usin the 'uncompress' command.

        uncompress filename.Z

Good Luck,
Jim Law

Post by Evan Jeffr » Tue, 24 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: I recently downloaded a file with a .Z extension. I have "unzip" loaded
: on my system and have sucessfully decompressed files with a .gz
: extension. This time, however, I keep getting an error which claims
: that the file is not a zip file or is from a series of "disks" . I know
: this to be untrue. Can anyone help?

gzip is telling the truth.  .Z is different format.  You should have a
pair of utilities called "compress" and "uncompress" on your system.  They
should handle the .Z extension.

Evan Jeffrey

Post by John Gluc » Tue, 24 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I recently downloaded a file with a .Z extension. I have "unzip" loaded
> on my system and have sucessfully decompressed files with a .gz
> extension.

Hi

Try useing gunzip on the file. It works for me.

Regards

John Gluck

Post by Tyson Bigle » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I recently downloaded a file with a .Z extension. I have "unzip" loaded
>on my system and have sucessfully decompressed files with a .gz
>extension. This time, however, I keep getting an error which claims
>that the file is not a zip file or is from a series of "disks" . I know
>this to be untrue. Can anyone help?

.z is pack'd so do an unpack... .Z is compress'd so do an uncompress...
.gz is gzip'd... you get the idea...

HTH,

Tyson
--
/\  To Bill Gates: You can dress a turd any way you like\
\_| but it's still a turd!                               |
   \_/______________________________________________________/

Post by Herbert Balasi » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I recently downloaded a file with a .Z extension. I have "unzip" loaded
> on my system and have sucessfully decompressed files with a .gz
> extension. This time, however, I keep getting an error which claims
> that the file is not a zip file or is from a series of "disks" . I know
> this to be untrue. Can anyone help?

> Thanks

> Tom

use uncompress ;-)