SCSI kernel doesn't boot

Post by Rach » Tue, 21 Jan 1997 04:00:00

[Followups set to comp.os.linux.misc]

I am trying to install a Sound Blaster 16 SCSI-2 card so that I can run
a SCSI DAT drive.  I currently am only using IDE drives, so my current
kernel (2.0.23) doesn't have SCSI support.  I compiled a 2.0.28 kernel
with support for the controller on the card, and for the tape drive.
When I tried to boot with that kernel, it gave me an error message that
said that the compressed format of the kernel was bad, and then just
said "system halted."  It never actually got into the boot process.  When
I tried to compile and run a 2.0.23 kernel with SCSI support, I got the
error message "ran out of input data" and then "system halted."  Again,
it never got into the boot process.

I compiled another 2.0.28 kernel without SCSI support, and it worked
just fine.  I tried again to compile essentially the same kernel
only with SCSI support, but I got the same error.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem?  I've never
gotten an error like this before.

Thanks,
--Rachel

--

                          http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gt4198a/

SCSI kernel doesn't boot

Post by Frank Sweets » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

What was the exact string of commands that you used to compile the
kernel?  For example, it should be something like this:
cd /usr/src/linux
make dep
make clean
make zlilo

[...]