Cyrix 586 chips a problem?

Post by Jedi Master Yod » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

The CPU section of the 'Hardware Howto' is a little confusing... no
doubt a failing on my part not the author's.

Is there some issue with Cyrix 5/6xx chips, and if so, can anyone tell
me what it is? A kernel patch is listed, but to correct what problem?
And how do you install on the machine using a boot disk with
(presumably) an unpatched kernel? I'm considering a 200Mhz Cyrix 686MMX
system, because it's cheap.

Any answers gratefully received.

JM "Cyk as a parrot" Y

Cyrix 586 chips a problem?

Post by Donald Thompso » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I've got a Cyrix pr200+, and the thing cranks on a linux box. I'll never
suck a lotta power, meaning they generate a lotta head. Obviously if it
overheats, your machine is gonna crash. Get a good fan for it and
heatsink, which unless your foolhardy you need for a pentium anyways.
The only thing the kernel patch does is allow linux to properly
recognize the chip. Theres another program called set6x86. This is a
boottime program called from an /etc/rc.d script. It sets a couple of
things I don't much understand, to improve the performance. One of the
most important things it does, is puts the cpu into a 'sleep' mode,
whereby it only uses 1/100 the power it normally consumes. So that
pretty much does away with any over heating problems right there. This
DOES NOT affect performance at all. Cyrix has built this feature
directly into the cpu, so it kicks itself out of sleep mode in like
nanoseconds, and then goes right back into sleep mode when its not doing
any processing. I ran it for a long time without set6x86, but with a
good fan and heatsink, and i never had a problem. I did a lot of asking
around b4 I got my chip. Anyone who actually owned a cyrix chip raved
about them. The only people who said bad things about them had some
story like 'Well my brother's, wife's, uncle's friend said they
sucked.'. Cyrix cpu's normally have only 50% of the floating point
processing power that pentiums do. But unless your running like CAD,
you'll never even notice it. I've heard linux spends about 1% of its
time doing FP processing. I can say my cyrix pr200+ can compile a kernel
faster than a pentium 200mhz. Make sure you check out,

        http://wauug.erols.com/~balsa/linux/cyrix/index.html

You can get the latest version of set6x86 and the kernel patch there.
Don't get yourself all boggled though with the talk about 6x86
registers. It scared me away from using the set6x86 program for awhile.
All you really gotta do is patch the kernel, install the rc script, and
be done with it. I run a web/email/programming/mud/ftp/etc site thats up
24/7, for almost a year now, on that cyrix chip, and its never given me
a reason to doubt it. I'm a cheap ass, and I love it when I find
something that performs better at half the price of the comprable 'sure
thing'. The only sure thing about pentiums is they'll take a bite out of
your wallet.

                                                Don

P.S. No I don't work for Cyrix or any affiliated companies :)

> The CPU section of the 'Hardware Howto' is a little confusing... no
> doubt a failing on my part not the author's.

> Is there some issue with Cyrix 5/6xx chips, and if so, can anyone tell
> me what it is? A kernel patch is listed, but to correct what problem?
> And how do you install on the machine using a boot disk with
> (presumably) an unpatched kernel? I'm considering a 200Mhz Cyrix 686MMX
> system, because it's cheap.

> Any answers gratefully received.

> JM "Cyk as a parrot" Y

Cyrix 586 chips a problem?

Post by Larr » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>> Is there some issue with Cyrix 5/6xx chips, and if so, can anyone tell
>> me what it is? A kernel patch is listed, but to correct what problem?
>> And how do you install on the machine using a boot disk with
>> (presumably) an unpatched kernel? I'm considering a 200Mhz Cyrix 686MMX
>> system, because it's cheap.

>> Any answers gratefully received.

>> JM "Cyk as a parrot" Y

NO! there is no problem with Cyrix chips that I know of. I have been running
Linux for over a year 24/7 on a Cyrix p-150 and have had no problems with it
whatsoever. I haven't run into anything I thought it was too slow for and I
have never had a heating problem.

I haven't put any patches in the kernel for it either. no probs, no sweat!

Cyrix 586 chips a problem?

Post by Ken Schar » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

The 6X86 (M1), 6X86MMX (M2), and AMD K6 all have some of the dual piplines and
out of order execution speedups that the pentium pro and pentium II chips have,
but the linux kernel calls them 586 chips.  I have heard that you can specify
these cpu's as pentium pro's when you configure you kernel and get a few percent
improvment in kernel performance.  BTW I am curious how some of these cpu's are
doing as far as bogomips (not a great benchmark, but every linux kernel has
one.  Try cat /proc/cpuinfo and see).  My AMD K6-233 on an intel TX motherboard
with 512k l2 cashe and 64MB of edo dram reports 465 bogomips.  How do other
cpu's compare?
(I have a 486dx25 at work with 16mb dram, unknown l2 cashe doing only 12.5
bogomips.  It's a PIG compared to my home computer.  1.5 hours to compile the
kernel vs 9 minutes!)

Post by Peter Whysal » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> NO! there is no problem with Cyrix chips that I know of. I have been running
> Linux for over a year 24/7 on a Cyrix p-150 and have had no problems with it
> whatsoever. I haven't run into anything I thought it was too slow for and I
> have never had a heating problem.

> I haven't put any patches in the kernel for it either. no probs, no sweat!

I have a Cyrix 166MX and it rocks! I installed set6x86 and it puts some
pretty messages in my boot up but other than that I've never had a sig
11 or any other problem with it. It cruises past the P200 in terms of
integer stuff (which I understand is around 99% of the time) but the FPU
is a bit cack.

Peter.

--
Peter Whysall
iip.enquiries_at_tad-centre.co.uk

Cyrix 586 chips a problem?

Post by Dave Seyst » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>one.  Try cat /proc/cpuinfo and see).  My AMD K6-233 on an intel TX motherboard
>with 512k l2 cashe and 64MB of edo dram reports 465 bogomips.  How do other
>cpu's compare?
>(I have a 486dx25 at work with 16mb dram, unknown l2 cashe doing only 12.5
>bogomips.  It's a PIG compared to my home computer.  1.5 hours to compile the
>kernel vs 9 minutes!)

My AMD K6-233 / Abit PX5 motherboard combo reports 478 bogmips and compiles
a kernel in 3 minutes 26 seconds (make zImage on a pretty spare kernel).
Naturally, "make dep", "make modules" and "make modules_install" add a bit
more time to a kernel compile, but the time is nowhere near 9 minutes. Are
you saying that it takes you 9 minutes to compile a kernel on an AMD
K6-233?

Dave

Cyrix 586 chips a problem?

Post by d. » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> >one.  Try cat /proc/cpuinfo and see).  My AMD K6-233 on an intel TX motherboard
> >with 512k l2 cashe and 64MB of edo dram reports 465 bogomips.  How do other
> >cpu's compare?
> >(I have a 486dx25 at work with 16mb dram, unknown l2 cashe doing only 12.5
> >bogomips.  It's a PIG compared to my home computer.  1.5 hours to compile the
> >kernel vs 9 minutes!)

> My AMD K6-233 / Abit PX5 motherboard combo reports 478 bogmips and compiles
> a kernel in 3 minutes 26 seconds (make zImage on a pretty spare kernel).
> Naturally, "make dep", "make modules" and "make modules_install" add a bit
> more time to a kernel compile, but the time is nowhere near 9 minutes. Are
> you saying that it takes you 9 minutes to compile a kernel on an AMD
> K6-233?

> Dave

 For a fair test, why don't one of you send the other a kernel config
file, so that you are buildig EXACTLY the same kernel ?

--
regards David.
Computers come in two varieties-

n.b. if you want to mail me please remove <spambot> from my mail
address.
I am TOTALLY pissed off by pointless, rude and im*email messages...

1. is my new Cyrix 586 killing my hard drive ?

After installing a C5x86 100 into my machine, within a day it killed the
root partition - even e2fsck was unable to help.
I reinstalled with the new slackware (3.0 currently)
and I'm still having major problems - the file system has corrupted in other
partitions aswell and its now an ongoing process - e2fsck fixes it - it then
dies again in minutes.
Is this common with 586 chips ?
I may have enough time to take it back if it was only meant for the insanity of
windows.
Please, if someone has any ideas why this may have happened - please enlighten.
On the other hand it could be something completely different.
What's your opinion ?
(I guess that will teach me to buy real cheap hardware) - its a pity, cos it
has such a fast FP unit (fractint just flys compared to my DX2-66)
.
Just a thought, but could it be my ultra-cheap vesa I/O card thats actually
an ISA card in disguise - just not up to the pace of the 586 ?

Corley.

2. A simpe question about files

3. Cyrix 6x86 should be treated as 486/586?

4. Dumb Terminal/Linux cabling question

5. Acer Model 355 w/Cyrix 586 hangs 5 minutes after boot

6. getting pppd to run from non-root

7. Cyrix 586 Supported?

8. writing class driver for Sony MicroVault USB device

9. Cyrix 586/120 and Linux

10. Cyrix 586

11. Cyrix 586 120

12. Cyrix 586-100 any good?

13. Linux 2.0.23 won't compile on cyrix 586