Remote NT reboot.

Post by Madhusudan Sing » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have a computer in my office that has both NT and Linux installed. The
default LILO option is linux. Is it possible to reboot the computer from
remote while it is running NT 4.0 ? In linux, this can be done easily by
logging in as a user, su'ing to root and typing reboot.
(NT does not support telnet access).

The reason for my asking about this is that very often my office mates
leave NT (it exists because of them !) running at night while I need to
access files in my Linux account.

Crazy question, may be, but important to me.

Madhusudan Singh.

Remote NT reboot.

Post by Steve Cowle » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a computer in my office that has both NT and Linux installed. The
> default LILO option is linux. Is it possible to reboot the computer from
> remote while it is running NT 4.0 ? In linux, this can be done easily by
> logging in as a user, su'ing to root and typing reboot.
> (NT does not support telnet access).

> The reason for my asking about this is that very often my office mates
> leave NT (it exists because of them !) running at night while I need to
> access files in my Linux account.

> Crazy question, may be, but important to me.

> Madhusudan Singh.

Load the NT Resource Kit.
Then goto
Start -> Programs -> Resource Kit  4.0 -> Management ->  Shutdown
Workstation

Theres and option to shutdown and/or reboot. I use this all the time (damn
NT) but you do need to be on the network and logged into the NT domain with
admin rights.

BTW: The Resource kit also contains a third party telnet daemon for NT that
allows you to telnet into an NT system. Might be what your looking for.

Steve Cowles

Remote NT reboot.

Post by Cokey de Perci » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> > I have a computer in my office that has both NT and Linux installed. The
> > default LILO option is linux. Is it possible to reboot the computer from
> > remote while it is running NT 4.0 ? In linux, this can be done easily by
> > logging in as a user, su'ing to root and typing reboot.
> > (NT does not support telnet access).

> > The reason for my asking about this is that very often my office mates
> > leave NT (it exists because of them !) running at night while I need to
> > access files in my Linux account.

> > Crazy question, may be, but important to me.

> > Madhusudan Singh.

> Load the NT Resource Kit.
> Then goto
> Start -> Programs -> Resource Kit  4.0 -> Management ->  Shutdown
> Workstation

> Theres and option to shutdown and/or reboot. I use this all the time (damn
> NT) but you do need to be on the network and logged into the NT domain with
> admin rights.

> BTW: The Resource kit also contains a third party telnet daemon for NT that
> allows you to telnet into an NT system. Might be what your looking for.

You don't say how you access your machine, but if you're network
connected (ie ip) you might try VNC.  It will allow you to connect
to the desktop and shutdown normally.  It's free (w/source), but
quite slow (VERY!) over a dial up line, but could be used.  I don't
have the URL, but search for VNC or Virtual Network Computer.

Best

Cokey

Cokey de Percin, DBA            Email:

Remote NT reboot.

Post by Len Philp » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000 15:28:48 -0500, Madhusudan Singh

>>I have a computer in my office that has both NT and Linux installed. The
>>default LILO option is linux. Is it possible to reboot the computer from
>>remote while it is running NT 4.0 ? In linux, this can be done easily by
>>logging in as a user, su'ing to root and typing reboot.
>>(NT does not support telnet access).

>>The reason for my asking about this is that very often my office mates
>>leave NT (it exists because of them !) running at night while I need to
>>access files in my Linux account.

>>Crazy question, may be, but important to me.

>>Madhusudan Singh.

Check out VNC (Virtual Network Computing). It will allow you to remotely
operate a workstation, along the lines of PCAnywhere. I don't have a
URL, but a search should turn up something. Maybe it can be made to
work.

 ---------------> http://www.centuryinter.net/lphilpot/  (web)

1. remote reboot a linux box from an nt box

Hmm.  Perhaps you could install ssh on both boxes, and authenticate
them to each other.  Then when the power fails, the NT box can do the
equivalent of:

I'm not sure whether ssh for NT can be run programatically like this,
but I suppose it's possible.

--

Nate Eldredge

2. HelP!!! on NT and LINUX install

3. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

4. 25/41 sound/oss/dev_table.h - convert cli to spinlocks

5. reboot error reboot error reboot error

6. Log out idle users (Solaris).

7. Compaq 6000 reboots and reboots and reboots

8. Restoring a dead 3.2v4.2 system

9. remote reboot hangs

10. Remote REBOOT?

11. Remote reboot Help

12. Half crashed server: reboot by remote access?

13. OpenBSD 2.6 Remote reboot problem