matrox millenium II and redhat

Post by Paul Call » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi all.

I'm running redhat linux 5.0 with metro-X and the
matrox millenium II video card. The window manager is
fvwm2.

My problem is that
the screen doesn't reresh properly. For example, the
standard (xset) screensaver leaves it a black and white
chequerboard pattern -- everything is gone! I turned
off this screensaver and use xscreensaver instead,
except on the login screen, which is better.

However, I still find that the icons I use on the button
bar and elsewhere are "chequerboarded" after being
obscured by another window. Screen refresh doesn't
fix it; I have to restart fvwm2.

Any idea's what's causing this?

-- Paul Cally

|Dr. Paul Cally         |    Ph:  +61 (0)3 9905-4471             |
|Mathematics Department |    Fax: +61 (0)3 9905-3867             |

|AUSTRALIA              | http://www.maths.monash.edu.au/~cally/ |

matrox millenium II and redhat

Post by Stev » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:04:58 +1000, Paul Cally

>Hi all.

>I'm running redhat linux 5.0 with metro-X and the
>matrox millenium II video card. The window manager is
>fvwm2.

>My problem is that
>the screen doesn't reresh properly. For example, the
>standard (xset) screensaver leaves it a black and white
>chequerboard pattern -- everything is gone! I turned
>off this screensaver and use xscreensaver instead,
>except on the login screen, which is better.

>However, I still find that the icons I use on the button
>bar and elsewhere are "chequerboarded" after being
>obscured by another window. Screen refresh doesn't
>fix it; I have to restart fvwm2.

>Any idea's what's causing this?

Don't know what's causing it, but you might want to try another X
server and see if that fixes it.  I just got a Matrox Mystique 220 a
week or so ago, and had to upgrade to the latest version of XFree86
(3.3.2) to support it.  I was *very* impressed with how easy it was to
set up; the XF86Setup program is completely GUI based now, and I
didn't have to figure out any modelines or anything - just selected
the card from a list, and it came up perfectly in 1152x864x24 bit
color (I did have to play with xvidtune a little to get the screen
centered properly).  The same version of the server also supports the
Millenium so you might want to give it a try... (www.xfree86.org)

  -Steve

Post by Donovan Rebbech » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hi all.

> I'm running redhat linux 5.0 with metro-X and the
> matrox millenium II video card. The window manager is
> fvwm2.

It sounds like your card isn't supported or at least not supported
well by MetroX 4.1. However,

Try getting the SVGA server from XFree86 3.3.2
see here

http://www.varesearch.com/support/xsuse.html

for more info on this.

--

http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Web designer for Independence -- Linux for the Masses

matrox millenium II and redhat

Post by Roger Troo » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 18:59:35, Donovan Rebbechi

> Try getting the SVGA server from XFree86 3.3.2
> see here

Is it possible to upgrade the XF86 SVGA server only, i.e. not the
whole XF86 system?

Yours sincerely,

/ \oger /roost.  [ Member of Team OS/2, HUGO ]

matrox millenium II and redhat

Post by Clifford Ki » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Probably, I upgraded my ati server to 332 by replacing only the server
itself with no apparent problems.  The previous upgrade to 331 included
all the support libraries and binaries, however.

===

--
Clifford Kite                                              Not a guru. (tm)