Problem with 'man' and 'groff'

Post by Allen Gooc » Thu, 19 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I am running an updated RH5.0/x86 system.  Recently when I use man on
some pages I get the following error:

/usr/bin/groff: can't find `DESC' file
/usr/bin/groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'

Any ideas on what might have happened to my system?  Any suggestions
are highly appreciated. email preferred.

many thanks,
Allen Gooch

1. 'info' displays hyphens in man pages as '^i' instead of '-'

When I execute the info command for topics found in man
pages (e.g. "info diald-examples") info fires up and
displays the *man-page* information. But, it displays all
hyphens ('-') for words that have been broken at the end of
a line as '^i's. This is true in text mode at the console
and under X using rxvt or xterm.

Can anyone enlighten me on why this is happening and if
there is a fix? I am running Debian 2.0.

---- Ken

2. Hard disk partition problem (rewrite to make it understandable)

3. man-pages won't be formatted with groff, what's wrong?

4. SCSI lockup with BT-44xC

5. groff has no 'DESC' file = no man pages

6. nestscape looks like shit

7. 'man -k' & 'apropos' fail

8. GID Query??

9. A minimal 'man' page for the 'ip' command

10. all man pages show '-' chars as '???'

11. man pages for 'fread' & 'fwrite'

12. '???' replaces every '-' character in man pages

13. Simple 'sed', 'awk', 'cut' problem