Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

Post by Eri » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 07:29:21

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 07:50:51

Quote:> How can I install packages that I forgot to install with the Red Hat
> 7.1 installation?

You can use "gnorpm" - the GNOME version of RPM.  It has everything
categorized much like the installation utility.

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 0.12:
-> I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I
-> have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could
-> converse with those people.
-> - Dan Quayle

Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

Post by Silviu Minu » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 08:04:00

Go to http://rufus.w3.org and find the package you want to install. At
the package page it shows you what it provides and what it requires. All
requirements are links to the corresponding packages. Click on them and
see the name of the package that you need to install besides the original
one. Then install from cd with

rpm -Uvh new_package.i386.rpm

or using gnorpm, or even download it from rufus.

Post by Swif » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 16:34:46

Quote:>  How can I install packages that I forgot to install with the Red Hat
>  7.1 installation?

[ snip ]

I think you'll be better of with a graphical installer than using the
console. There are several frontends to rpm. Depending on what you have
installed, you can try
        redcarpet
        gnorpm
        kpackage

If you want to know what package (installing things is done with packages)
you need, goto http://www.rpmfind.net and type in the name of the file in
question.

--
  SwifT
  |- LUG : http://www.lugwv.be

Post by Nils O. Sel?sda » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 17:13:20

Quote:> How can I install packages that I forgot to install with the Red Hat
> 7.1 installation?

> Here's my problem:
> Various pieces of Red Hat keep saying that I am missing a file and
> that it needs to be installed with a certain package (namely most of
> the Kontrol Panel).  But I have been unsuccessful at finding where
> this is done.  I am still a newbie with Linux, but I would assume
that
> there should be an "Add/Remove Programs" equivalent with Linux.

Youl find the packages on the CDs under Redhat/RPMS/ ,
install them like rpm -ivh package1.rpm package2.rpm ..etc.

the missing files it complains about many times require you to install
other rpms first. You can probably guess which pakckage that have
the missing file(s) based on its name, or you can query all the rpms
for
the file. The easiest thing though is to go to www.rpmfind.net , type
in the
missing file, it will come up with the rpm files containing these
files, which
you can either download and install, or just install them from your CD
since
you now know the name of the rpm package.

Post by Lloyd Sumpte » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 01:14:47

>> How can I install packages that I forgot to install with the Red Hat
>> 7.1 installation?

>> Here's my problem: Various pieces of Red Hat keep saying that I am
>> missing a file and that it needs to be installed with a certain package
>> (namely most of the Kontrol Panel).  But I have been unsuccessful at
>> finding where this is done.  I am still a newbie with Linux, but I
>> would assume
> that
>> there should be an "Add/Remove Programs" equivalent with Linux.
> Youl find the packages on the CDs under Redhat/RPMS/ , install them like
> rpm -ivh package1.rpm package2.rpm ..etc.

> the missing files it complains about many times require you to install
> other rpms first. You can probably guess which pakckage that have the
> missing file(s) based on its name, or you can query all the rpms for the
> file. The easiest thing though is to go to www.rpmfind.net , type in the
> missing file, it will come up with the rpm files containing these files,
> which you can either download and install, or just install them from
> your CD since you now know the name of the rpm package.

   This brings up a Flame I have with Linux in general, and most of the
"packages" especially (ie Gnome, KDE, Ximian, etc). After spending
literally DAYS getting Evolution 0.9 installed on my Mandrake 7.2 system
(try to install - get list of deficiencies (mainly library upgrades). Download the
RPMs. Get lists of deficiencies for those. Download more RPMs. Get more deficiencies...)
I finally got it installed. I still haven't "cleaned up" after upgrading
from glibc 2.1 to 2.2...

   Then I decided to try to upgrade to 0.12. Another PAGE of deficiencies!
I gave up - I'll have to live with 0.9.

   Compare that to my Lady's experience with Eudora on her Windows box:
she lost some .dlls for 4.1, picked them up for 4.32...AND THEY WORKED!

   I understand this is the price for rapid development and fast response
to bug, but it sure is frustrating!

Lloyd Sumpter

Post by John Hasle » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 02:13:01

Quote:Lloyd Sumpter writes:
> This brings up a Flame I have with Linux in general, and most of the
> "packages" especially (ie Gnome, KDE, Ximian, etc).

No.  This is a "flame" you have with RPM in general.  To install or upgrade
evolution on my Debian system I would just type 'apt-get install evolution'
and apt would recursively fetch and install evolution and all its
dependencies.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI

Post by Swif » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 03:52:48

>  No.  This is a "flame" you have with RPM in general.  To install or upgrade
>  evolution on my Debian system I would just type 'apt-get install evolution'
>  and apt would recursively fetch and install evolution and all its
>  dependencies.

It's wrong to compare rpm with apt-get. You should compare rpm with dpkg, or
any rpm-frontend with any dpkg-frontend.

apt-get is available for RPM too (Conectiva uses it), urpmi has also the same
capabilities. Red Carpet is available for both (DEB and RPM amongst others).

Don't start shitting on rpm, I love rpm :p

--
  SwifT
  |- LUG : http://www.lugwv.be

Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 06:06:44

Quote:> Don't start shitting on rpm, I love rpm :p

*lol* SwifT - you have just been QUIPd!

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 0.12:
-> And now the sequence of events in no particular order.
-> - Dan Rather

Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

Post by Swif » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 17:40:58

On Fri, 07 Sep 2001 16:06:44 -0500, Michael Lee Yohe

>  *lol* SwifT - you have just been QUIPd!

What is QUIP? The only thing google spits out is
        Quakers Uniting In Publications <http://www.quaker.org/quip>
besides lots of *quip-companies.

--
  SwifT
  |- LUG : http://www.lugwv.be

1. Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. X-Windows support for Matrox Imp+

3. Can U install Red Hat 6rpm's in Red 7.1 ?

4. HELP: ftp still login incorrect

5. Problem logging in after upgradation from red hat 8 to red hat 9

6. System-wide .login?

7. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0

8. ROMing Linux

9. The Red Hats are coming, the Red Hats are coming

10. Red Hat Piranha and Red Hat 7

11. "Official" Red Hat vs. Red Hat

12. Demonizing Red Hat (was: CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux)

13. red hat or red hat