WD 1Gig HD + EIDE w/ Linux

Post by Glenn Jayapute » Mon, 03 Oct 1994 18:47:39

Hi.. I am planning to install Slackware 2.0 Distribution on a machine w/
EIDE and 1Gig WD hard-drive.  Is there anything I have to watch-out in
regards to 1024 cylinder limitation issue??
TIA

--
Cheers
  Glenn T. Jayaputera

WD 1Gig HD + EIDE w/ Linux

Post by David F » Mon, 03 Oct 1994 23:50:36

] Hi.. I am planning to install Slackware 2.0 Distribution on a machine w/
] EIDE and 1Gig WD hard-drive.  Is there anything I have to watch-out in
] regards to 1024 cylinder limitation issue??

I haven't used EIDE drives, but I have several SCSI drives with more
than 1024 cylinders.  If you are using the *current* slackware, *not*
2.0, be sure to set Linux fdisk (version 1.5b) to non-DOS
compatibility mode - when it is invoked it is in DOS compatibility
mode.  I found that all the partitions I created beyond cylinder 1024
were created to actually start at 1024, so they overlapped and my
system crashed when I set up my swap partition (because the swap
signature corrupted my ext2fs partition.)  If anyone thinks I've
analyzed this situation incorrectly I'd be interested in hearing about
it.
--
David Fox                                               xoF divaD
NYU Media Research Lab                     baL hcraeseR aideM UYN

WD 1Gig HD + EIDE w/ Linux

Post by Dougal Campbe » Thu, 06 Oct 1994 11:17:07

Quote:> Hi.. I am planning to install Slackware 2.0 Distribution on a machine w/
> EIDE and 1Gig WD hard-drive.  Is there anything I have to watch-out in
> regards to 1024 cylinder limitation issue??
> TIA

There's a 'big IDE HOWTO' on ftp.iquest.com that's quite helpful.

--
Dougal Campbell          | Check out the interQuest home page:
System Administrator     | http://www.iquest.com/

WD 1Gig HD + EIDE w/ Linux

Post by Dougal Campbel » Sat, 08 Oct 1994 21:52:33

> : There's a 'big IDE HOWTO' on ftp.iquest.com that's quite helpful.

> Thank you!  You saved my life.

Thank Patrick LoPresti.  He wrote the file.  I'm just trying to make sure
that people know about it :)

Quote:> What\where\who is 'iquest.com,' BTW??

interQuest is an internet service provider in Huntsville, AL.  You can

> --

>     dont't yoiu widh you culd ktype as fasxt as me?

Dougal Campbell          | Check out the interQuest home page:
System Administrator     | http://www.iquest.com/

1. EIDE CD-ROM + EIDE 1280 WD HD + all kinds of shit

Okay...

I haven't installed Linux yet but I want to address these problems BEFORE
they occur.

I have an old 486DX/33 motherboard with 8Mb of RAM, 256K cache.  It does
NOT support large EIDE drives by default.  I am running a Western Digital
1280 Caviar drive on my primary IDE channel.  I am using Ontrack Disk
Mangler^H^H^H^H^H^H^HManager to address the whole drive.

I have a Reveal 4X E-IDE CD-ROM drive on my secondary IDE channel, set as
master.  No slave drives on either channel.  Primary IDE is on my VLB
IDE/IO card; secondary is on a cheap card that came with the Reveal kit.

Everything works fine in DOS/Windows.

I have what I think is the latest version of Slackware on a DOS partition.

Questions:  Will Linux support my 1280 Mb drive without any hacks or
modifications to ide.c?  What drivers do I need for my ATAPI CD-ROM, or
are they already there?

Thanks in advance,

[ Matthew A. Schnoor ]

2. ATI Xpression under SCO 5.0

3. WD hd + QD8500 EIDE +interface

4. X11/OpenGL/setitimer freeze

5. WD 1gig IDE - linux dont mount!????

6. Konqueror plugins, how to install in Mandrake 9.0?

7. HD Partitioning - 1GIG DOS, 4+GIG LINUX?

8. OCR and speech recognition in Linux

9. Hint for WD HD users: Possible HD failures

10. 2842 won't work w/translation 1gig, problem similar to EIDE

11. Will WD 850 MB EIDE work with Linux?

12. Anything to watch out for re: > 2.1gig EIDE?

13. Can't install RHS Linux on 700-MB WD EIDE drive