Reverse order pringing

Post by Ted Johnst » Tue, 20 May 1997 04:00:00

Is it possible using Apsfilter/Ghostscript to print a .ps file in reverse
order?  This would be of great help on my inkjet.  (I also have a 350 LDP
manual printed without the last 8 pages--the printer ran out of ink!)
--
To E-mail remove .nospam from e-mail address

Reverse order pringing

Post by Jim Howe » Wed, 21 May 1997 04:00:00

: Is it possible using Apsfilter/Ghostscript to print a .ps file in reverse
: order?  This would be of great help on my inkjet.  (I also have a 350 LDP
: manual printed without the last 8 pages--the printer ran out of ink!)

You could use ghostview, and use it's 'print marked pages' function,
thus printing your last eight pages....  Probably save you a lot of
mucking about...

Another way is to write each page to a seperate file, with the gs switch

        -sOutputFile=foo%03d.pcl

and then a short script which does something interesting with

        for f in `ls foo???.pcl | sort -nr` ; do lpr -P deskjet $f ; done

would probably do the trick.

There are probably other methods.. Just my tuppenceworth...

Jim

Reverse order pringing

Post by Geoff Sho » Wed, 21 May 1997 04:00:00

: Is it possible using Apsfilter/Ghostscript to print a .ps file in reverse
: order?  This would be of great help on my inkjet.  (I also have a 350 LDP
: manual printed without the last 8 pages--the printer ran out of ink!)

I found that psselect will reverse the order of pages in a file, not sure
where you can get this from.  gs/ghostview/gv will happily print individual
pages for you.

        Geoff
Ever sit and watch ants? They're always busy with                Geoff Short

can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

Reverse order pringing

Post by Thomas L Oswal » Thu, 22 May 1997 04:00:00

> : Is it possible using Apsfilter/Ghostscript to print a .ps file in reverse
> : order?  This would be of great help on my inkjet.  (I also have a 350 LDP
> : manual printed without the last 8 pages--the printer ran out of ink!)

> You could use ghostview, and use it's 'print marked pages' function,
> thus printing your last eight pages....  Probably save you a lot of
> mucking about...

> Another way is to write each page to a seperate file, with the gs switch

>         -sOutputFile=foo%03d.pcl

> and then a short script which does something interesting with

>         for f in `ls foo???.pcl | sort -nr` ; do lpr -P deskjet $f ; done

> would probably do the trick.

> There are probably other methods.. Just my tuppenceworth...

> Jim

mpage works very well.  You can get it from sunsite.  You can place it
before your gs call, i.e., have mpage pipe its data into gs.  If the
file is already ps, mpage will only reverse the order of the pages.  If
the file is ascii, mpage will convert it to ps and then revert the
pages.

Tom

Reverse order pringing

Post by David E. F » Mon, 26 May 1997 04:00:00

>I found that psselect will reverse the order of pages in a file, not sure

and do odd/even selection and selection of individual pages too.

psselect is part of psutils, which includes a couple of neat Postscript
filters, like psnup (to print 2/4/8 sheets per page). It was originally
posted to one of the Usenet Unix source newsgroups, if memory serves, and
so could be located in those archives.

>    Geoff
>--
>Ever sit and watch ants? They're always busy with                Geoff Short

>can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

David E. Fox                 Tax              Thanks for letting me

Reverse order pringing

Post by David E. F » Mon, 26 May 1997 04:00:00

For what it's worth, I recommended the psutils suite.

Quote:>Another way is to write each page to a seperate file, with the gs switch

>    -sOutputFile=foo%03d.pcl

One thing I'd like to point out is that you need to be careful if you
use the above trick. If the "%03d" part is off, then you will find
spaces in your filenames, which aren't all that nice to deal with. :)

Quote:>Jim

David E. Fox                 Tax              Thanks for letting me