noexec

Post by Paul Evan » Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:35:29

I have my dvd mount options in fstab to include the "noexec" option:

/dev/dvd      /dvdrom        iso9660 ro,noauto,user,noexec  0  0

Yet for some reason all files are executable on any mounted disc - why is
this so?

--
Paul Evans

(1st Year Maths & CompSci at Pembroke College, Cambridge, England)

ICQ# 4135350

noexec

Post by Charles Sulliva » Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:46:34

> I have my dvd mount options in fstab to include the "noexec" option:

> /dev/dvd      /dvdrom        iso9660 ro,noauto,user,noexec  0  0

> Yet for some reason all files are executable on any mounted disc - why
> is this so?

Hmm... I just noticed this myself (running RH 7.1, i386, kernel
2.4.3-12).  Looks like a bug to me.

noexec

:
: /dev/dvd      /dvdrom        iso9660 ro,noauto,user,noexec  0  0
:
: Yet for some reason all files are executable on any mounted disc - why is
: this so?

Executable, as in they still have execute permissions, or executable
as in you are actually able to execute such files?

--
<> "If we could just find out who's in charge, we could kill him."
<>  --George Carlin

noexec

Post by Paul Evan » Mon, 24 Sep 2001 00:08:44

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 05:20:21 GMT

> Executable, as in they still have execute permissions, or executable
> as in you are actually able to execute such files?

In that ALL files have the execute bit set. So it thinks .ZIP, .PDF,
anything is executable. I know at one point they didn't do that, only I
can't remember quite when that was. I'm now running k2.4.9 with ea and acl
patches installed.

--

Post by Garry Knigh » Mon, 24 Sep 2001 07:43:45

> I have my dvd mount options in fstab to include the "noexec" option:

> /dev/dvd      /dvdrom        iso9660 ro,noauto,user,noexec  0  0

> Yet for some reason all files are executable on any mounted disc - why
> is this so?

Because the 'noexec' doesn't have anything to do with whether the files
are executable. It simply means that if any of them are executable,
you're not allowed to execute them.

If you do want to execute them, you can always copy them to your hard
disk and run them from there. Or you can change the 'noexec' to 'exec'.

In fact, the 'noexec' in the above example is superfluous, since 'user'
implies 'noexec'. Do 'man mount' in a console to learn more.

--
Garry Knight

Linux registered user 182025

1. stack noexec

Hi all,

to make the stack not executable one could add the
following lines to /etc/system:
set noexec_user_stack=1
set noexec_user_stack_log=1

but this requires a reboot of the system. can the same
be achieved without the need for a reboot.

Tnx for any google or url.

2. Extract sections of delimeted text from postscript file

3. noexec mount

4. Enterprise Management Forum (Unicenter TNG, OpenView, Tivoli, Platinum)

5. Korn shell: set -o noexec question

6. PPP + DHCP?

7. Mounting filesystems 'noexec'?

8. Top 10 posters comp.unix.shell

9. mount flags (noexec etc.) disappearing

10. noexec protection...

11. mounting noexec *or* ro

12. Why doesn't noexec work?

13. noexec on solaris