only root can mount /dev/cdrom on /mnt/cdrom

only root can mount /dev/cdrom on /mnt/cdrom

Post by wr.. » Tue, 26 Dec 2000 04:23:03

Hi,

How can I make sure that non-privilaged users can mount /dev/cdrom too?

It used to work this way, but not any more (after I started treating
/dev/hdc (cdrom) as a scsi device using scsi emulation)

Thanks

Wroot

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Srihari Vijayaraghava » Tue, 26 Dec 2000 16:59:47

> Hi,

> How can I make sure that non-privilaged users can mount /dev/cdrom too?

> It used to work this way, but not any more (after I started treating
> /dev/hdc (cdrom) as a scsi device using scsi emulation)

> Thanks

> Wroot

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Hello,

Add the keyword option "user" in /etc/fstab relating to cdrom.

For eg, my /etc/fstab says,
/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660 ro,nosuid,noauto,exec,user,nodev 0 0

--
Thank you,
Hari.

1. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

Hello,

I'm in trouble again.   My cdrom on RH6.0 used to mount using command-line
or linuxconf.

Now suddenly its stopped working -   when I try to mount using  "mount
/mnt/cdrom"  I
get rebuffed with :

   #mount  /mnt/cdrom
     mount:  the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
                    (maybe 'insmod driver'? )

# insmod iso9660
    insmod:  iso9660: no module by that name found.

Linuxconf tells me its mounted successfully but obviously is failing in the
background.

It is unfortunate for me that Linux is giving me these problems as I am only
a beginner
really.   sigh!

thanks for expert advice...
noel

2. "ls: Memory exhausted" from Linux on a NFS directory

3. mount error: mount only root can mount /dev/cdrom on cdrom

4. PPP/SLIP on local Serial

5. Problem with lockf.

6. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

7. Adaptec 2940UW on motherboard (aic7880)

8. mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom failure

9. cannot mount cdrom: kernel doesn't recognize /dev/cdrom block device

10. /mnt/floppy and /mnt/cdrom

11. CDROM Error: /mnt/cdrom is not a valid block device

12. /dev/cdrom linked to /dev/cdrom