Trouble compiling pgp 2.6.2 on Linux

Trouble compiling pgp 2.6.2 on Linux

Post by Matt Auster » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00



I'm using Linux (Red Hat 4.2, with gcc 2.7.2 installed), and I just
downloaded pgp 2.6.2 from the MIT Web site.  I'm having trouble
compiling it; it looks like a makefile error, and I'm too lazy to try
to debug the makefiles myself.

I changed to rsaref/install/unix, and typed "make".  It built rsaref.a
successfully using all of the defaults.  (Including -DUSEMPILIB.)

Then I changed back to ../../../src, and typed "make linux".  All of
the .o files get created without error. (Again using -DUSEMPILIB.)  At
link time, though, I get a lot of errors about undefined symbols
P_SETP, P_SUBB, P_SMULA, p_setrecip, p_quo_digit, P_ADDC, _window, and
so on.

Clearly something is configured incorrectly.  I haven't edited the
makefiles in any way; is there something additional that I need
to do?

 
 
 

Trouble compiling pgp 2.6.2 on Linux

Post by drof.. » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00




Quote:>I'm using Linux (Red Hat 4.2, with gcc 2.7.2 installed), and I just
>downloaded pgp 2.6.2 from the MIT Web site.  I'm having trouble
>compiling it; it looks like a makefile error, and I'm too lazy to try
>to debug the makefiles myself.

>I changed to rsaref/install/unix, and typed "make".  It built rsaref.a
>successfully using all of the defaults.  (Including -DUSEMPILIB.)

>Then I changed back to ../../../src, and typed "make linux".  All of
>the .o files get created without error. (Again using -DUSEMPILIB.)  At
>link time, though, I get a lot of errors about undefined symbols
>P_SETP, P_SUBB, P_SMULA, p_setrecip, p_quo_digit, P_ADDC, _window, and
>so on.

>Clearly something is configured incorrectly.  I haven't edited the
>makefiles in any way; is there something additional that I need
>to do?

[Begin Linux canned answer #4]

Getting PGP to compile for Linux ELF systems
(from http://www.mit.edu/people/warlord/pgp-faq.html)

Linux/ELF changes

The PGP 2.6.2 sources do not build under Linux/ELF. If you want to build
2.6.2 as an ELF binary, you need to make two changes, one each to 80386.S
and zmatch.S. Near the beginning of the file you will find a #if directive
for SYSV. Apply the appropriate change to the appropriate file to get it
to work:

(for 80386.S)
    #ifndef SYSV ==> #if !defined(SYSV) && !defined(__ELF__)

(for zmatch.S)
    #ifdef SYSV ==> #if defined(SYSV) || defined(__ELF__)

[End Linux canned answer #4]

--

spam email scanners.  Reverse before mailing.
Finger that address for my PGP Key.
PGPprint = E3 0F DE CC 94 72 D1 1A  2D 2E A9 08 6B A0 CD 82

 
 
 

Trouble compiling pgp 2.6.2 on Linux

Post by Robert W. Brewe » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00



> [Begin Linux canned answer #4]
> [End Linux canned answer #4]

Canned answer #5: get 2.6.3ia and compile with the USA
options to produce 2.6.3a.  It fixes this problem and
several other bugs in 2.6.2.  

Compiling a USA version is well documented in 2.6.3ia.

-Rob
--
Robert W. Brewer  PGP 2048-bit Key ID: 03E0E635
Jesus rules!      FP: 6327 8034 7BDA D144 B40C C5E2 F760 13BB

 
 
 

Trouble compiling pgp 2.6.2 on Linux

Post by James Youngma » Fri, 01 Aug 1997 04:00:00



> I'm using Linux (Red Hat 4.2, with gcc 2.7.2 installed), and I just
> downloaded pgp 2.6.2 from the MIT Web site.  

Get the [S]RPMs from ftp.hacktic.nl:/pub/replay/pub/redhat instead.
 
 
 

Trouble compiling pgp 2.6.2 on Linux

Post by drof.. » Fri, 01 Aug 1997 04:00:00





>> [Begin Linux canned answer #4]
>> [End Linux canned answer #4]

>Canned answer #5: get 2.6.3ia and compile with the USA
>options to produce 2.6.3a.  It fixes this problem and
>several other bugs in 2.6.2.  

>Compiling a USA version is well documented in 2.6.3ia.

A good solution, except you have to get the rsalibs seperately
for 2.6.3i.  2.6.2 will do fine until 5.0 becomes mainstream.

--

spam email scanners.  Reverse before mailing.
Finger that address for my PGP Key.
PGPprint = E3 0F DE CC 94 72 D1 1A  2D 2E A9 08 6B A0 CD 82

 
 
 

Trouble compiling pgp 2.6.2 on Linux

Post by Jeremy Bous » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00




> > I'm using Linux (Red Hat 4.2, with gcc 2.7.2 installed), and I just
> > downloaded pgp 2.6.2 from the MIT Web site.

> Get the [S]RPMs from ftp.hacktic.nl:/pub/replay/pub/redhat instead.

   Actually all you need to do is add the following line to the top of
all the .s files (there should only be three of them)
                        #define SYSV

and it should compile fine.. the problem lies in the fact that when
Linux switch'd from a.out to ELF binary linkin format that it doesn't
know how to handle the assembly code that gets compiled in with the C
code since ELF linkin handles it differently...
        Jeremy

 
 
 

Trouble compiling pgp 2.6.2 on Linux

Post by Alex Lan » Sun, 10 Aug 1997 04:00:00


Um, the subject line is (I think) exactly what I am checking into this
newsgroup for. Would one of the participants in this thread please forward
me canned answers 1-4, please? Thanks in advance.
Cheers...

Seabrook, Texas        http://www.ghg.net/alexlane
PGP fingerprint: 7FDB06E2478479B4 323CA94865AA5BC2
"No plan survives initial contact with the enemy." -- Von Moltke
"...but without a plan, *you* will not survive." -- Lane





> >> [Begin Linux canned answer #4]
> >> [End Linux canned answer #4]

> >Canned answer #5: get 2.6.3ia and compile with the USA
> >options to produce 2.6.3a.  It fixes this problem and
> >several other bugs in 2.6.2.  

> >Compiling a USA version is well documented in 2.6.3ia.

> A good solution, except you have to get the rsalibs seperately
> for 2.6.3i.  2.6.2 will do fine until 5.0 becomes mainstream.

> --

> spam email scanners.  Reverse before mailing.
> Finger that address for my PGP Key.
> PGPprint = E3 0F DE CC 94 72 D1 1A  2D 2E A9 08 6B A0 CD 82