Travan tapes and Linux...

Post by Miles Dav » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Will a Travan tape drive (like Iomega's Ditto) work with Linux? I am
thinking about buying a 3.2GB tape drive, but since I spend 95% of my
time and disk space using Linux, I want to make sure it will work...

Thanks,

//
// Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old
// ones.

1. Can a TR-3 tape be used in the new 5 gig Travan tape drive?

Hello.
Question: can a dump from a TR-3 travan tape be used to restore in a 5 gig
drive?

Here's my scenario. I have a groovy TR-3 (HP Colorado) tape drive I use
with Ftape 4.* to dump to. It works excellently and I recommend
dump/restore to anyone interested in making serious back-ups. I've
restored my machine several times.

I am getting another work machine and would like to restore files dumped to
the TR-3 tape onto the new work machine. I noticed that TR-3 tape drives
are hard to find, and that for example, the HP Colorado 5GB IDE/ATAPI drive
is reasonably priced, and available. Any other suggestions would be
appreciated.

Has anyone gone from TR-3 format to a 5GB drive successfully?  Once
support for IDE/ATAPI tape modules are compiled into the kernel, do these
IDE/ATAPI drives work, or are they buggy. Kernel circa 2.2.5-15 (Red Hat
6.0)

Thanks,
Adam
--
Adam J. Finkelstein

http://metalab.unc.edu/bees/adamf

2. Upgraded from Sol 2.5.1 to 2.6 with Oracle 7.3 running?

3. Linux ftape & Travan (400/800MB) tape drives

4. Apache Processes Spawning Wildy...

5. Tape Backup Travan 4 vs. DAT for Linux ??

6. mksysb system recovery with AIX 3.2.5 and 4.5 GIG hard dirve

7. Linux and Travan TR-4 SCSI Tape Drives

8. NEWBIE: HP DeskJet Setup Problem

9. does the HP Colorado Tape Travan T8000 drive work with linux?

10. How to make Linux see a Travan tape drive

11. Travan tape drives for Linux?

12. does the HP Colorado Tape Travan T8000 drive work with linux?

13. A good Travan Tape Drive for Linux?