Mouse problems

Post by Rick Palm » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

I have just gotten the Slackware distribution (2.2.1), I believe (I'm
not at home right now...) and am having trouble getting X to work
properly, in particular, the mouse is acting badly.

What happens is this: After startx, everthing looks fine, and the
mouse cursor (an "X" symbol) is centered on the screen.  As soon as I
move the mouse, the cursor immediately moves to the to left corner of
the screen.  Moving the mouse causes the cursor to move a bit toward
the center of the top of the screen, but that's about it.  What should
I do?

My machine is a recent (brand new last week) Micron P90 with a
Microsoft PS/2 mouse.

thanks,
rick

--
Rick Palmer (607) 546-2719 (home)
            (607) 255-9210 (work)

Mouse problems

Post by Ian Cas » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> What happens is this: After startx, everthing looks fine, and the
> mouse cursor (an "X" symbol) is centered on the screen.  As soon as I
> move the mouse, the cursor immediately moves to the to left corner of
> the screen.  Moving the mouse causes the cursor to move a bit toward
> the center of the top of the screen, but that's about it.  What should
> I do?

This is familiar. The same thing is happening with my setup.
(Slackware 2.2.1 with most things installed.)

The mouse shoots to the top left of the screen and refuses to move.
Although sometimes moving the mouse causes menus to appear (They don't
actually do anything tho').

The mouse is set as a microsoft ps/2 type and the kernel detects it when
it boots. There are no problems in DOS, Wondows, or OS/2 Warp. HELP !!!!!

The machine is a Gateway 2000 P5-90 (16 MB RAM and 1.75 GB DISK SPACE
(1 x 1GB and 1 x 720MB Both EIDE).

As an extra does anyone have an XF86Config for a ET4000-W32P and a Gateway
Crystalscan 1575DG Monitor ?

Thanks. (If their is a more appropriate Newsgroup please tell me - Thanks)

Ian

               ' May You Live In Interesting Times !!!!! '

Mouse problems

Post by Ian Cas » Fri, 12 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> This is familiar. The same thing is happening with my setup.
> (Slackware 2.2.1 with most things installed.)

> The mouse shoots to the top left of the screen and refuses to move.
> Although sometimes moving the mouse causes menus to appear (They don't
> actually do anything tho').

> The mouse is set as a microsoft ps/2 type and the kernel detects it when
> it boots. There are no problems in DOS, Wondows, or OS/2 Warp. HELP !!!!!

SOLVED :-)

I had the mouse type set in XF86Config as "Microsoft". I changed it to
"PS/2" and it worked with no problems.

I could still use a full Monitor entry for a Crystalscan 1575DG and a Screen
entry for the Crystalscan and an ET4000-W32p video card tho'

Post by Corby S. Hudna » Fri, 12 May 1995 04:00:00

: > This is familiar. The same thing is happening with my setup.
: > (Slackware 2.2.1 with most things installed.)
: >
: > The mouse shoots to the top left of the screen and refuses to move.
: > Although sometimes moving the mouse causes menus to appear (They don't
: > actually do anything tho').
: >
: > The mouse is set as a microsoft ps/2 type and the kernel detects it when
: > it boots. There are no problems in DOS, Wondows, or OS/2 Warp. HELP !!!!!
: >

: SOLVED :-)

: I had the mouse type set in XF86Config as "Microsoft". I changed it to
: "PS/2" and it worked with no problems.

: I could still use a full Monitor entry for a Crystalscan 1575DG and a Screen
: entry for the Crystalscan and an ET4000-W32p video card tho'

The ps/2 conflicts with X.  You all have gpm running yes?  You must kill that
process or take it out of you rc.local and then X should work file...

*Warning--Linux should not be used by those under the influence of MicroSoft.
          May cause dizziness or vertigo.  Consult your tech support before
          using Linux.  (note--after using Linux, you may notice extreme
          discomfort when using MicroSoft.  Discontinue use of MS.

This public service announcement has been brought to you by:  Corby S. Hudnall
Corby S. Hudnall
colorado state university
Dept. of Computer Sciences