Why does the kernel think my tape backup unit is a MIDI device?

Why does the kernel think my tape backup unit is a MIDI device?

Post by Mark Krauthei » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:04:35

I've got an admittedly minor problem that's driving me nuts. Every time
I access my Seagate STT8000A Tape Backup unit, whether it's thru tar,
mt, or taper, I get the following error message from the kernel (the TBU
itself works fine):

 st0: Error with sense data: Current st09:00: sense key Illegal Request
 Additional sense indicates Invalid command operation code

As it is a kernel message, it's mucking up my taper display, filling up
my logs, and, well, just pissing me off. I've googled for several days
now and have found nothing helpful.

Anyway, I finally did an strace on 'mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind' and saw this
(among other things):

    open("/dev/nst0", O_RDONLY)       = 3
    ioctl(3, SNDCTL_MIDI_MPUMODE, 0xbffffa78) = 0
    close(3)                          = 0

It's hard to tell, but this seems to be about where the error message is
popping up. And my pea brain is thinking that's not surprising, as what
the heck does MIDI have to do with a TBU?

Assuming I am right about this, how do I stop it? And if I am not right,
well, what *does* MIDI have to do with a TBU?

FWIW, I'm running RedHat 7.3 with the 2.4.18-3 stock kernel.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Krautheim
Orwell, Vermont USA

Post by Vilmos Sot » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:26:29

> I've got an admittedly minor problem that's driving me nuts. Every time
> I access my Seagate STT8000A Tape Backup unit, whether it's thru tar,
> mt, or taper, I get the following error message from the kernel (the TBU
> itself works fine):

I suppose that is a SCSI tape.

Quote:>     open("/dev/nst0", O_RDONLY)       = 3
>     ioctl(3, SNDCTL_MIDI_MPUMODE, 0xbffffa78) = 0
>     close(3)                          = 0

It is strange. Here is the relevant file listing form my workbox which
is a RH73 with 2.4.18-4.

$ ls -l /dev/nst0 /dev/st0 /dev/midi*
crw-------    1 root     root      35,   0 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/midi0
crw-------    1 root     root      14,   2 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/midi00
crw-------    1 root     root      14,  18 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/midi01
crw-------    1 root     root      14,  34 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/midi02
crw-------    1 root     root      14,  50 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/midi03
crw-------    1 root     root      35,   1 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/midi1
crw-------    1 root     root      35,   2 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/midi2
crw-------    1 root     root      35,   3 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/midi3
crw-rw----    1 root     disk       9, 128 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/nst0
crw-rw----    1 root     disk       9,   0 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/st0
$

Compare it to yours.

Vilmos

Post by Mark Krauthei » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 18:55:02

> I suppose that is a SCSI tape.

Actually, it's an IDE unit using ide-scsi

Quote:

> It is strange. Here is the relevant file listing form my workbox which
> is a RH73 with 2.4.18-4.

> $ ls -l /dev/nst0 /dev/st0 /dev/midi*
> crw-------    1 root     root      35,   0 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/midi0
> crw-------    1 root     root      14,   2 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/midi00
> crw-------    1 root     root      14,  18 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/midi01
> crw-------    1 root     root      14,  34 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/midi02
> crw-------    1 root     root      14,  50 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/midi03
> crw-------    1 root     root      35,   1 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/midi1
> crw-------    1 root     root      35,   2 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/midi2
> crw-------    1 root     root      35,   3 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/midi3
> crw-rw----    1 root     disk       9, 128 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/nst0
> crw-rw----    1 root     disk       9,   0 Apr 11 07:25 /dev/st0
> $

> Compare it to yours.

Identical.

Mark

:
[...]

All strace sees for that second ioctl parameter is a number (0xC0046D01
by my probably incorrect calculation), and it tries to match that up
with a symbol name.  Ioctl numbers are not globally unique.  The first
matching symbol strace finds happens to be from soundcard.h, rather than
from mtio.h, so the name it prints is misleading.  The strace output
doesn't tell you what's being attempted.  That third parameter is a
pointer to a structure (struct mtop *) which contains the operation and
count passed to the st driver, and that's what you really need to know.

If the kernel's st driver was built with debugging enabled (unusual,
AFAIK) you could use "mt stsetoptions debug" to enable debugging output
and see what's being attempted.  The only other way I know to get that
info would be to run one of the offending programs under gdb and see
what it is doing.

--

1. Backup methods for those with DOS tape units.

Now that linux is getting larger, backups are becoming an issue,
here's one solution that was originally posted to alt.os.linux.

I found that my /etc/mtools config-file version of mtools (from
tsx-11? - I can't remember), didn't allow mwrite to accept it's input
from stdin.  But Charles directed me to mtoolbin an mtoolsrc on
cs.rutgers.edu in /pub/linux.  I found that the cs.rutgers.edu version
doesn't support /etc/mtools, but that the patches for this can be
applied to mtoolsrc to get the best of both worlds.

--
Michael Hamilton, Computer Services Section, Wellington City Council, P.O. Box
2199, Wellington, New Zealand.  Phone: (64) (4)801-3300  FAX: (64) (4)801-3020

2. undump for aix

3. Backup method for users with DOS tape units.

4. SYSADMIN TOOL BOX: where ?

5. Re. AIX support for remote tape units Re: AIX support for remote tape units

6. USR 128K ISDN Sportster RH7(pulling my hair out)

7. Problems with DLT tape backup unit

8. 32 bit driver in 64 bit kernel

9. Finding Out What Kind Of Backup Tape Unit I Have.

10. Seagate TapeStor 8000 8GB Tape Backup Unit?

11. Tape Backup Unit won't work, help!

12. TAPE BACKUP UNIT

13. Tape Backup Unit