xconsole doesn't print anything.

Post by Yon Han CHON » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have run "xconsole" so that any messages from applications run from
background menu will be printed. Instead of printing on the X window
console it prints at the text console term. I can see the messages after
I exit from X window.

Any help will be appriciated.
Yon Han Chong                     |
Flow Control and Prediction Group | Tel: + 44 1234 750 111 ext.5356
Cranfield College of Aeronautics  | Fax: + 44 1234 752 149

United Kingdom                    |

Post by Tom Atkinso » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I have run "xconsole" so that any messages from applications run from
> background menu will be printed. Instead of printing on the X window
> console it prints at the text console term. I can see the messages after
> I exit from X window.

You need to redirect output to /dev/console

In addition to redirecting stdout, you probably want to redirect stderr
as well.

If you have the following command in your menu (for example):

wine winword6 &

change the menu configuration file to look like this:

wine winword6 >/dev/console 2>&1 &

The above example assumes you are using the bash shell.  I can't confirm
whether the above is also correct for the tcsh or other shells.

Good luck!
Tom Atkinson

1. My xconsole doesn't do anything.

In my /etc/syslog.conf I found this tip (Debian):
# The named pipe /dev/xconsole is for the `xconsole' utility.  To use it,
# you must invoke `xconsole' with the `-file' option:
#
#    $ xconsole -file /dev/xconsole [...]
daemon.*;mail.*;news.crit;news.err;news.notice;*.=debug;*.=info; \
*.=notice;*.=warn;cron.none     |/dev/xconsole

Then I start Xfree with (bash):
alias ow='echo "Starting XFree86..." >| /dev/xconsole;startx -- -quiet -bpp \
16 2>|/dev/xconsole'

It's work great for me...i see why a program die and any message it send.

                Bye
                        Giovanni

--

Information is not Knowledge, Knowledge is not Wisdom, Wisdom is not Truth,
Truth is not Beauty, Beauty is not Love, Love is not Music, Music is the best.

2. ZOOMTEL Quartz Video Capture ISA pnp Web Cam

3. Beautiful Women & Men

4. LILO does nothing on selection of Linux or Failsafe (does boot Windows though)

5. dvilj Doesn't Print anything

6. Campus-Wide Login space & Tools

7. 'Lock screen' doesn't do anything

8. cmdtool -C, xconsole: redirection doesn't work

9. XCONSOLE doesn't work??!!

10. xconsole doesn't have effect ???

11. No Imake.tmpl file, xconsole doesn't work