chmod from win95 to WWW server

Post by Shai Shprun » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

How can I change mode of permission / execution of a file I just ftp from
windows 95 to  WWW server ?
I am working with Windows 95,  using the Norton Navigator (Norton file
manager) to FTP to my WWW server, The files automatically getting
permission that is not executable (R & W for all).
Any program out there to allowed me remotely to do  "chmod " ? (the server
running on linux)
(I try to learn writing CGI and in the book they are talking about : make
it executable )
H E L P .      [  I know some unix and I can't be local at the WWW server,
and no one there to talk to ]
--------------------------
      .^^^^^^^.
     /         \
   |'  (T) (T)  '|
   '|     o     |'           Shai Shprung
    .  \_____/  .

      `\_____/               HTTP   : http://www.nbase.com/~shai/

chmod from win95 to WWW server

You need to Telnet in to the server, get into the directory your script is
in and use the chmod command.
There are many Telnet utilities available at www.tucows.com
--
Bud Berrett
Yes I am always right, especially when I'm speling.

http://www.silkspin.com
http://www.jcave.com/~budb

Post by Patrick McNei » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: How can I change mode of permission / execution of a file I just ftp from
: windows 95 to  WWW server ?
: I am working with Windows 95,  using the Norton Navigator (Norton file
: manager) to FTP to my WWW server, The files automatically getting
: permission that is not executable (R & W for all).
: Any program out there to allowed me remotely to do  "chmod " ? (the server
: running on linux)
: (I try to learn writing CGI and in the book they are talking about : make
: it executable )
: H E L P .      [  I know some unix and I can't be local at the WWW server,
: and no one there to talk to ]

If you have an account on the linux box, you should be able to telnet to it.
Win95 has a decent telnet client...  Once you log on (same passwd/uname as
ftp), go to your web directory...  Then type:
        chmod [mode1]-[mode2] [filename]
where:
[mode1] is one of the following: a - for all, u - for user, g - for group,
o - for other.  You probably want "a" since it's a public document.
This mode tells who can read/write/execute the file.

[mode2] is one of the following: r - read, w - write, x - execute.
For cgi scripts, the "x" is necessary.  You also want the "r" bit set on
the public pages...  This simply tells what kind of access the people
defined by [mode1] have.

[filename] is just the file name.

You can also see the current permissions by typing:
        ls -alF [filename]

You should see something like:
(for ls -alF index.html)
-rw-r--r-- <stuff deleted> index.html
 111222333

The three chars with 1's are User permissions, the 2's are group, and the
3's are other.

-Patrick
 http://www.tjhsst.edu/people/pmcneill/

chmod from win95 to WWW server

Post by Aaron Pri » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

 You can use the FTP "site" command if you have PPP only and no shell
account.

Aaron Price                                UltraNet Webmaster

The Premier Internet Service Provider In New England!

chmod from win95 to WWW server

Post by Mik » Mon, 26 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Seeing how crossposted this is I normally wouldn't answer it. But

Why go looking for a telnet program if you are running Win '95? Click
on run and type telnet.exe. There is one in there. All you have to do
is use it.

>There are many Telnet utilities available at www.tucows.com
>--
>Bud Berrett
>Yes I am always right, especially when I'm speling.

>> How can I change mode of permission / execution of a file I just ftp from
>> windows 95 to  WWW server ?
>> I am working with Windows 95,  using the Norton Navigator (Norton file
>> manager) to FTP to my WWW server, The files automatically getting
>> permission that is not executable (R & W for all).
>> Any program out there to allowed me remotely to do  "chmod " ? (the
>server
>> running on linux)

Mike
Grumpy's Web Graphics
http://www.rio.com/~grumpy/gwg/

chmod from win95 to WWW server

Post by Michael D. Madden Jr » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

FTP the following site and download CuteFTP. A fairly graphical and very
easy to use FTP program. After FTPing your file-select it, then select
'commands>custom commands>change file access mask' from the menu bar. then
enter the number of the access you want to give it. Like 755, etc.
Hope it helps:

FTP site:    papa.indstate.edu
Directory:   /winsock-l/ftp

> Seeing how crossposted this is I normally wouldn't answer it. But

> Why go looking for a telnet program if you are running Win '95? Click
> on run and type telnet.exe. There is one in there. All you have to do
> is use it.

> >There are many Telnet utilities available at www.tucows.com
> >--
> >Bud Berrett
> >Yes I am always right, especially when I'm speling.

> >> How can I change mode of permission / execution of a file I just ftp
from
> >> windows 95 to  WWW server ?
> >> I am working with Windows 95,  using the Norton Navigator (Norton file
> >> manager) to FTP to my WWW server, The files automatically getting
> >> permission that is not executable (R & W for all).
> >> Any program out there to allowed me remotely to do  "chmod " ? (the
> >server
> >> running on linux)

> Mike
> Grumpy's Web Graphics
> http://www.rio.com/~grumpy/gwg/

chmod from win95 to WWW server

Post by Michael D. Madden Jr » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Just to clarify below: I meant to say ...After setting up and installing
CuteFTP then using it to FTP your file-select it,...

Quote:> FTP the following site and download CuteFTP. A fairly graphical and very
> easy to use FTP program. After FTPing your file-select it, then select
> 'commands>custom commands>change file access mask' from the menu bar.
then
> enter the number of the access you want to give it. Like 755, etc.
> Hope it helps:

> FTP site:    papa.indstate.edu
> Directory:   /winsock-l/ftp

chmod from win95 to WWW server

Post by Antonio Coc » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Get yourself a Telnet program (does Norton have this?) and log into
the server.  You can issue Unix commands such as chmod from there.

Tony

>How can I change mode of permission / execution of a file I just ftp from
>windows 95 to  WWW server ?
>I am working with Windows 95,  using the Norton Navigator (Norton file
>manager) to FTP to my WWW server, The files automatically getting
>permission that is not executable (R & W for all).
>Any program out there to allowed me remotely to do  "chmod " ? (the server
>running on linux)
>(I try to learn writing CGI and in the book they are talking about : make
>it executable )
>H E L P .      [  I know some unix and I can't be local at the WWW server,
>and no one there to talk to ]
>--------------------------
>      .^^^^^^^.
>     /         \
>   |'  (T) (T)  '|
>   '|     o     |'           Shai Shprung
>    .  \_____/  .

>      `\_____/               HTTP   : http://www.nbase.com/~shai/

chmod from win95 to WWW server

Post by Phon » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

No NO no, you can not change mode for the file with windows 95 with out
access to the shell acct, I don't know why those people design the
program even bother to put those change mode in , If you are run windows
95 , after upload the file then go to Start , point to run and type
telnet , after the telnet open type open my_ISP_site.net ,, it will
prompt you with user ID and password, afer that just look for the file
you want to give  permission and change it

Post by drisn » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: How can I change mode of permission / execution of a file I just ftp from
: windows 95 to  WWW server ?
: I am working with Windows 95,  using the Norton Navigator (Norton file
: manager) to FTP to my WWW server, The files automatically getting
: permission that is not executable (R & W for all).
: Any program out there to allowed me remotely to do  "chmod " ? (the server
: running on linux)
: (I try to learn writing CGI and in the book they are talking about : make
: it executable )
: H E L P .      [  I know some unix and I can't be local at the WWW server,
: and no one there to talk to ]

No need to telnet as others have been saying.  You can use FTP's "site"
command.  For example, to set the permissions to rwx for owner and rx for
group and others do:

site chmod 755 file.name

The site command is available in WS_FTP by right clicking and choosing FTP
commands.  CuteFTP has the site command available as well.  Unfortunately,
Windows 95's built-in command line FTP does not.

Good luck.

Post by David A. Alli » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: No NO no, you can not change mode for the file with windows 95 with out
: access to the shell acct, I don't know why those people design the
: program even bother to put those change mode in...

Actually, with CuteFTP -- you can change the file permissions from within
Win95.  Perhaps earlier versions of CuteFTP didn't support it, but version
1.5 does -- just tried it and verified it through a telnet.  The command
sequence is:

--  select the file
--  select "Commands", "Custom Commands", and "Change File Access Mask"
from the menu
--  enter the three-digit mask
--  click OK

David Allie
Phoenix Systems Internet Publishing

ramp.com> writes:
> >How can I change mode of permission / execution of a file I just ftp f=
rom
> >windows 95 to  WWW server ?
> >I am working with Windows 95,  using the Norton Navigator (Norton file=
> >manager) to FTP to my WWW server, The files automatically getting
> >permission that is not executable (R & W for all).
> >Any program out there to allowed me remotely to do  "chmod " ? (the se=
rver
> >running on linux)
> >(I try to learn writing CGI and in the book they are talking about : m=
ake
> >it executable =85)
> >H E L P .      [  I know some unix and I can't be local at the WWW ser=
ver,
> >and no one there to talk to =85 ]

I don't know about Norton manager, but using Ws_ftp, you can do a chmod =

by:
start Ws_ftp, connect to site, click right mouse button somewhere on
window =

to get FTP Menu, click on FTP Commands, click on SITE, type chmod 755
<filename>
in the text window and that should do ya. =

Ws_ftp should be available from many places, do a search.  Also look to
see =

if Norton has an FTP command menu with SITE on it.

HTH,
-- =

  ,-/-  __      _  _         $Bill Luebkert
 (_/   /  )    // //       DBE Collectibles
  / ) /--<  o // //      http://www.westworld.com/~bill/

chmod from win95 to WWW server

Post by Kim Huarts » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Windows 95 has a built in Telnet program.  You access it through "run" or the
dos prompt.

>Get yourself a Telnet program (does Norton have this?) and log into
>the server.  You can issue Unix commands such as chmod from there.

>Tony

>>How can I change mode of permission / execution of a file I just ftp from
>>windows 95 to  WWW server ?

Kim Huartson    |
Webmaster               | If you're not living on the EDGE,
Western WebWorks        | Then you're taking up too much ROOM.

chmod from win95 to WWW server

Post by Lars Thegle » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

It *IS* possible to change file modes via FTP, your client FTP software
(in this case - Norton Navigator) should support this. Otherwise, choose
another FTP client (ws_ftp works fine for me - check out
http://www.ipswitch.com.

/lars

> How can I change mode of permission / execution of a file I just ftp from
> windows 95 to  WWW server ?
> I am working with Windows 95,  using the Norton Navigator (Norton file
> manager) to FTP to my WWW server, The files automatically getting
> permission that is not executable (R & W for all).
> Any program out there to allowed me remotely to do  "chmod " ? (the server
> running on linux)
> (I try to learn writing CGI and in the book they are talking about : make
> it executable )
> H E L P .      [  I know some unix and I can't be local at the WWW server,
> and no one there to talk to ]
> --------------------------
>       .^^^^^^^.
>      /         \
>    |'  (T) (T)  '|
>    '|     o     |'           Shai Shprung
>     .  \_____/  .

>       `\_____/               HTTP   : http://www.nbase.com/~shai/

chmod from win95 to WWW server

Post by Bob Hau » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> It *IS* possible to change file modes via FTP, your client FTP software
> (in this case - Norton Navigator) should support this. Otherwise, choose
> another FTP client (ws_ftp works fine for me - check out
> http://www.ipswitch.com.

This works if the server supports it.  Not all of them do.  One that does
is wu-ftpd.  Whether the admin has configured it to allow this is another
question.

---

 Wasatch Communications Group               http://www.wasatch.com

1. Novell Netware WWW Servers versus Linux WWW Servers

Hi,
  could you please consider this posting on behalf of a colleague :

        Does any one have experience with Novell Netware  WEB servers, e.g.
        Sitebuilder ?
        Are they stable, do they properly support modern WWW facilities, such as
        CGI, SSI?
        Unless I provide my college with strong reasons in favour of a Linux
        based WWW server, they will switch to a Novell Netware based one, due to
        the lack of Unix expertise within the college.
        I will be most grateful for any advise on this matter.

        Persephoni

        Dr Persephoni Karaolani, Senior Lecturer, I.T. Department,
        Liverpool Hope University College, Woolton Road,

Thanks in advance.

                        Paul

Paul Hazlewood
Research Assisstant
I.T. Department,
Liverpool Hope University College, Woolton Road,
Liverpool L16 8ND

2. Newbie: Red Hat 7.1: What Is The GUI Front End Heirarchy?

3. chmod question; chmod a-x /bin/chmod?

4. Virtual/Software UART

5. Linux as router for Win95 WWW server

6. MAC address assignment on Ethernet cards (Solaris 2.6 & 2.7)

7. FreeBSD Web servers (was Re: NT server vs workstation for WWW server)

8. xautolock seg.fault after JDK and motif install.

9. WWW SERVER: New, small, fast and FREE web server

10. Linking www server to ftp server question. . .

11. apache www server with frontpage server extensions

12. Possible to config DNS to go to 2nd WWW server when primary server down?

13. How to build WWW server and EMAIL server?